• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stupid things seen or heard at a CB shop

i often ask for ac batteries.
a friend asked for 24v ac non polarized fornicators.
they still have plenty of dumb looks and cellphones though at radioshack.
as for cb shop sillyness had a neighbor wiping out tv ch 2 after billybob and his buttbuddy at some truckstop charged him $50 to supertune the rig.
slug gone from the tvi trap.
bias cranked up till the rig pulled 10a on ssb without audio.
why it didnt blow up is still a mystery!
the rig was a president jackson.
guy was lucky it wasnt trashed by the idiots.try to find an original mrf477 today.

Sometimes you can find one on Ebay, but it'll cost you! Most of the one's on Ebay are clones and not originals.

i avoid fakebay.
it would have gotten a 455 if it was killed.who knows it may be wounded.but its working so far for him.

Anymore EBay is a sad joke. This day in age with $1200.00 Cobra 2000 GTLs and $500.00 to $800.00 Robyn T240Ds its rare to ever find a bargain anymore.. 10 12 years ago maybe but certainly NOT today!<can not stand it>

Anymore EBay is a sad joke. This day in age with $1200.00 Cobra 2000 GTLs and $500.00 to $800.00 Robyn T240Ds its rare to ever find a bargain anymore.. 10 12 years ago maybe but certainly NOT today!<can not stand it>

Not bad for a radio that sold new for somewhere around $350-$375.

It gets better than that!! I know where you can go to buy an amplifier where the owner is most likely lying on the floor and he will hold himself up after slowly emerging to his feet with a whiskey bottle under his arm while leaning on the counter as he sways back and fourth he will say " Will that be a peak and tune (hickup) or will you be buying some big power today? (hickup)"

Its not this guy but close!!!!

2uq137k.jpg

Was this place in Louisiana by any chance?

I had a friend in college that decided he wanted to go down that road. Keep in mind before heading off to college I spent about 2 years in an electronic repair facility that did Amateur Warranty Work for all the major players, worked on all the commercial broadcast stations in the area and repaired the old even back then radar gear at the surrounding airports! So initially he listened to me but once he got on the air and was under the influence of the CB "Deity" he started to believe in all kinds of stupid stuff......He started listening to CB butcher's that where on the air. I drove him to take one of his radio to said butcher......When we got to see "Behind the curtain" Their was a Dosy Metter and a pair of Diagonal Wire Cutter's! I asked where the Scope was, the signal generator, etc........ that stuff is not needed to do a proper alignment on a radio blah blah blah..........

The dumbest thing I had ever heard though was a nut job in the deep south " The Wizard" I think it was???? He was telling people he could "re-tube" aka rebuild their old tubes for them. He told them that he could cut the tube open rebuild the parts inside then reseal the tube. They do this with super expensive high power tubes not with TV Sweep Tubes! So this knuckle head had a bunch of NOS tubes and old gently used tubes a mother load of them. He was just swapping out the tubes with exact same brand and charging them top dollar for a job he could not hope to do!

Then their are those rats that toss a lot of harmonics at a cheap meter and tell their customer's they are working mircles and getting 60+ watts out of their single final 2SC1969 final Cobra 148 GTL. LOL

The best though was when I was at a truck stop as a teenager and a guy was "peaking an' tweaking" a ray-did-i-do ....I like truck stop's chili....So this guy was useing a light bulb, a metal flat tip screw driver and a pair of diagonal wire cutter's working at the table while eating a plate of chili-cheese-fry's......... snip snip turn brighter light bulb and sound like a mouth full of cotton!!!

you should not do the channel convertion to these export radios........ two minutes later talking to the same customer......... if you want i can add channels to this cobra.

i was laughing so frigging hard when i walked out of the door i couldn't leave the parking lot for 5 minutes.

CB shop owner with a straight face: "FCC limits the output of all radios to 4 watts, but Galaxy designs more powerful machines by using finals that put out 4 "JUMBO" watts. Your high SWR is caused by those 4 JUMBO watts trying to get out through your thin coax, all at the same time. You need 50 feet of this thick RG8 to really let your watts out. Adding this power mic will amplify your voice to excite the watts out quicker. The optional echo-box never fails to scare them out. BTW, your moonraker is old aluminum technology not compatible with your new machine. You really need this space-age fiberglass stick. I also recommend covering your antenna with this bottle of "Penetrox" electrical lubricant, so the signal slides out without a chance to come back. If these necessities don't take care of your high SWR, just bring the radio back for retunning"

I was at a CB shop in Jacksonville NC yesterday. While in there I was eyeing the Connex radios and the Galaxy 29 the guy had for sale, along with the Red Devil power mics and a few CB amps.

Out of curiosity I asked the guy if he had any Astatic 575-M6 mics available.

Him: Are those the ones that have the tone control on the side?

Me: Yes

Him: Oh those are junk.

Funny thing is that mic has gotten praises on eham and various other CB boards, plus look at what they go for on eBay.

Yep well aware of that. Just this guy had some old radios sitting around for sale. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

CB shop owner with a straight face: "FCC limits the output of all radios to 4 watts, but Galaxy designs more powerful machines by using finals that put out 4 "JUMBO" watts. Your high SWR is caused by those 4 JUMBO watts trying to get out through your thin coax, all at the same time. You need 50 feet of this thick RG8 to really let your watts out. Adding this power mic will amplify your voice to excite the watts out quicker. The optional echo-box never fails to scare them out. BTW, your moonraker is old aluminum technology not compatible with your new machine. You really need this space-age fiberglass stick. I also recommend covering your antenna with this bottle of "Penetrox" electrical lubricant, so the signal slides out without a chance to come back. If these necessities don't take care of your high SWR, just bring the radio back for retunning"

WHAT! LOL:eek:

"Let's see that's one Texas star 667.....that'll be $550 plus tax".

Hmmm reminds me of s shop in Elwood, Ind that has ancient radios for sale at high prices. The owner has a glass cabinet with "new" radios for sale at astronomical prices.. He has a dusty from sitting Robyn 520D for sale USED for $275.00 because it has "extra channels". LOL! A CB bud told me about a friend of his trying to buy the guys Browning MK IV but the owner wouldnt take less than $3500.00!!! I dont know but he must get the business because he has been around for over 50 years....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.