• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sweep Tube Option.

Shockwave

Sep 19, 2009
Now that I've purchased all the ones I could find under $10.00, I'll share a little known 12 pin sweep tube substitute with the forum, after some info. The tube I'll mention is best suited for amps that run under 800 volts on the plate. Many with a high low switch are using a lower plate voltage to obtain the low power setting. This tube works great here and still has enough gain to compensate for the lower voltage.

The reason this tube excels if you can keep the plate voltage down, is because it was designed to have the highest peak cathode emissions of any other sweep tube ever designed. It's a "current handler", able to sustain a continuous carrier current of 400ma with peaks up to 1.5 AMPS! Even the Maco, GE, M-2057 cannot peak this high. The tube is the 6KN6 and is was made by GE's competition mostly for the biggest Magnavox televisions.

The 6KN6 was made by Sylvania and RCA. If you run these things at 800 volts with 400ma carrier per tube and a 4:1 PEP ratio, they last forever in AM service where all of the others don't. Not many model TV's used them and linear builders were discouraged by the lower plate voltage. What that means is early production runs created an ample supply so that there were never any later "cheap" production runs in the 1980's.

Running the plate over 800 volts with both grids grounded will cause the plates to cherry red no matter what you do with the cathode bias, other than the deepest class C. Grid bias resistors will alleviate this to a point, but they are inherently unstable in their voltage drop with secondary tube emissions and often cause drift in power as you're keyed. You're best bet is to just stay between 750 and 800 volts B+.

If you're tempted to use this tube in an amplifier with more voltage, consider peeling off some of the HV windings on the plate transformer before risking the tubes. They are almost always the outer most wrapping just under the paper and do not require a complete transformer disassembly. Cleanly cut the paper in a spot where it can easily be taped back on when done, pull it out of the core and start unwrapping the thin HV turns, cutting them when they get too long to keep pulling through the core until you get to the right voltage.

You'll normally have about 660 VAC on the stock HV taps and you'll want to get this down to about 550 VAC, to hit your target after rectification and filtering. It is safest to do this on a variac at exactly 1/10 the line voltage and than the target voltage becomes 55.0 VAC versus the stock 66.0 VAC. Check the change in voltage after removing the first 10 or 20 turns so you can get an idea how many you will have to take off by calculating how many volts were removed versus how many turns were removed.

With the right cathode bias (diodes work), you should now be able to ground both grids and the power output will be 100% stable even when driven in conditions of secondary screen emissions. This also occurres with lower drive levels as the tube gets older. The ability to stabilize screen voltage allows you to to extend the useful end of life service from the tube without it becoming a "power drifter" first. Now don't gobble up every last 6KN6.

i loaded up on these when elmira blew them out a $.50 ea.
there are 2 types.
short bottle with 2 plates.these even work in a ft-101.
and a tall single plate.
these seem to behave exactly the same as a 6kd6.
working on tube color tv sets i learned this early on and experimented.
they are "sleepers"
of course now more folks know and prices are up.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Ahh, WHICH 6KN6?

The one I'm used to has two pentodes in the same glass envelope, wired in parallel.

That one can cause problems when you use too many of them in the same stage. It has more internal capacitance than the "single"-section sweep tubes.

And I have seen tubes marked "6KN6" that looked perfectly conventional on the inside, with only a single large anode visible.

I'll guess that tubes built one or the other way were perfectly interchangeable in a color TV. The added capacitance would not change the circuit at 15.734 kHz enough to matter.

But at nearly 20 times that frequency, it will affect the tuning of a linear's output circuit. The more of the "dual" version tubes you put in parallel, the more capacitance gets added (in effect) in parallel with the "Plate Tune" control.

With no more than one or two tubes in parallel, you can trim the pi-network output coil to make the Plate Tune control show a true resonant peak. The added capacitance should be manageable.

But put four or six of them in the same stage, wired in parallel and you could have real trouble getting that coil cut down enough before the amplifier's efficiency is severely reduced.

Thought I had some pics of the difference between versions, can't find them right now.

Gotta be some specimens on the premises, though.

I have both versions and prefer the single plate one because the dual plate version runs hotter with the anode closer to the glass. The second plate adds no dissapation but the second cathode allowed that version to reach the higher peak cathode current this tube is rated for. The singe version has a much wider cathode able to support that current on its own.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.