• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Mystery

Yes. I’m good with the numbers. Not one who goes nits to get a 1:1.

Was just curious of the numbers being reversed at two points 6’ apart. (3’ jumper from radio to amp and another 3’ jumper from the a p to the SWR meter.)

Boy this could go in many different directions
  • - Can a Chameleon change it's colors? Just don't ask it to do Plaid! :)
But now we have a better answer to this...

Ok, it's not really too bad, but your reversal - knowing now that you're running an AMP - changes a few aspects, but again - your match SWR is not too terrible so take this as some info on what you're encountering...

Ok, your SWR meter - and where it's positioned in line - AFTER the Amp, it senses a slight mismatch...
SWR at SWR meter:
1.6 on CH 1
1.1 on CH 40
  • The Antenna APPEARS longer - an Inductive factor
Then Positioned BEFORE the amp - between the RADIO and AMP - gives us this...
SWR at radio:
1.1 on CH 1
1.6 on CH 40
  • The Antenna now appears SHORTER - a Capacitive factor

So then, to answer this question...

Shouldn’t they be close to the same?

I am glad this came up...

So the only other question I have to ask you to help solve this and give a real world true answer - requires you to remove the amp and check SWR with Meter setup the same way in the other two tests - Radio thru 3 foot jumper to Meter then onto THE ANTENNA - what is the SWR?

If the SWR is in between the two - you just have a minor mis-match between the amp and the radio - affecting the SWR overall in the system - although not a big deal here it does help. Because this info - can help ANY tech in putting the right parts into the amp to cancel out the SWR bumps effects caused by input mis-match.

Here I am building up to a great answer and then this...
Added 12’ to my coax and problem went away. All’s good now. :D

"...If any of your operatives are caught or killed, the Secretary will Disavow any knowledge of your actions...
WOW...

Sigh...

Reactions: Redbeard U812
Boy this could go in many different directions
  • - Can a Chameleon change it's colors? Just don't ask it to do Plaid! :)
But now we have a better answer to this...

Ok, it's not really too bad, but your reversal - knowing now that you're running an AMP - changes a few aspects, but again - your match SWR is not too terrible so take this as some info on what you're encountering...

Ok, your SWR meter - and where it's positioned in line - AFTER the Amp, it senses a slight mismatch...

• The Antenna APPEARS longer - an Inductive factor
Then Positioned BEFORE the amp - between the RADIO and AMP - gives us this...

• The Antenna now appears SHORTER - a Capacitive factor

So then, to answer this question...

I am glad this came up...

So the only other question I have to ask you to help solve this and give a real world true answer - requires you to remove the amp and check SWR with Meter setup the same way in the other two tests - Radio thru 3 foot jumper to Meter then onto THE ANTENNA - what is the SWR?

If the SWR is in between the two - you just have a minor mis-match between the amp and the radio - affecting the SWR overall in the system - although not a big deal here it does help. Because this info - can help ANY tech in putting the right parts into the amp to cancel out the SWR bumps effects caused by input mis-match.

Here I am building up to a great answer and then this...

"...If any of your operatives are caught or killed, the Secretary will Disavow any knowledge of your actions...
WOW...

Sigh...

:D

The reversals went away. The SWR’s at the radio are slightly lower overall than the ones at the meter now, but are no longer polar opposites.

At radio:
1:26 on CH 1
1.07 on Ch 20
1.22 on Ch 40

At the meter:
1.34 on CH 1
1.20 on CH 20
1.31 on CH 40

Now its acting as it should,
extending the coax gives you the same curve with a little lower vswr,
when you see significant change adding a 6ft or any other length short jumper you have cmc on the coax or you added a very lossy jumper.

Reactions: The DB and Riverman
Now its acting as it should,
extending the coax gives you the same curve with a little lower vswr,
when you see significant change adding a 6ft or any other length short jumper you have cmc on the coax or you added a very lossy jumper.

Forgot to mention the 12’ was used to make a choke. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bob85

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.