• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swr problem on 102" whip

Once the plastic insulator is properly seated, I don't think he'll ever get an acceptable SWR without some sort of counterpoise, whether it be four wire radials or just one. Unless he attaches the steel whip to a Chevy. Or a metallic roof. Something.

Once the plastic insulator is properly seated, I don't think he'll ever get an acceptable SWR without some sort of counterpoise, whether it be four wire radials or just one. Unless he attaches the steel whip to a Chevy. Or a metallic roof. Somethi

I suggested that way back in Post #22, but it was "freezing and dark" outside. LOl....lol...lol.
When I used my 102 as a ground plane, I had the whip with no spring and 3 radials. If I remember right I made the radials longer than 102 inches and had to shorten them for the best swr reading. I was able to get 1 to 1.5 swr across all 40 channels. It may have been dumb luck, idk? But it worked really well for me.

Once the plastic insulator is properly seated, I don't think he'll ever get an acceptable SWR without some sort of counterpoise, whether it be four wire radials or just one. Unless he attaches the steel whip to a Chevy. Or a metallic roof. Something.
Hello riverman, I'm going to take you guys advice and ditch the spring and build some radials also going with a different 239. I'm going to come off the bracket with the radials. Is it ok to use stranded 12 ga. Wire with insulation or do I need bare wire. Thanks, Dannell. South MS.

I'm going to come off the bracket with the radials. Is it ok to use stranded 12 ga. Wire with insulation or do I need bare wire. Thanks,

Dannell,
Insulated 12 ga. stranded wire will be just fine. Doesn't have to be bare wire. Just try to make sure the connections are solid to allow the RF to freely flow back to your radio.

65911767700c8c92a71f41880f06c502.jpg

Was wondering when you were going to show up with that. :giggle:
That is, of course, what I am using right now albeit with just one wire radial. Have also used 4’ Firestiks. One for the vertical and two for radials (2). That worked good too. The possibilities are endless. (y)

Reactions: Marconi and Crawdad
What was the SWR after removing the spring?
PXL_20220126_225239325.jpg
hello everyone, removed the spring, installed different so-239 and 2 radials and I now have 1.4 SWRs on 1/20/40. I never could hear so many truckers before on the interstate, 8 miles away. I asked for a radio check, and got a answer said they could hear me good. So thanks everyone for the help.

Well done Dannell. If you can find a way to get one or two more radials installed your antenna will be even more efficient and a bit more omnidirectional. If not, congrats and enjoy. Welcome to homebrewed antennas!

Last edited:
View attachment 56833
hello everyone, removed the spring, installed different so-239 and 2 radials and I now have 1.4 SWRs on 1/20/40. I never could hear so many truckers before on the interstate, 8 miles away. I asked for a radio check, and got a answer said they could hear me good. So thanks everyone for the help.

Outstanding. (y):giggle:

Good deal (y)
I didn't think of it until just now, but if you get on Utube there's a guy that goes by Mower Junkie that's always experimenting with home brew antennas. He does a good job of showing you how he goes about his builds. I actually have intentions of building one of his antennas. You might check him out, he has some interesting stuff.

Reactions: Crawdad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated