• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tak-tenna Antenna systems

I considered a Tak antenna because I live in an HOA neighborhood. Fortunately I took a chance with a Carolina Windom antenna to have something better. and many years later I still haven't had any complaints.

Any antenna is usually better than no antenna but there are better options to consider.

You could get 135 ft of THHN wire in a color that can match your roof and make a dipole. Lay it across your roof or attatch it to the facing along the eave.

Just something to think about if the Tak antenna doesn't work too good.

Good luck!

Fourstring,
I consider you one of the handful of heavy-hitters (guys who really know what they're talking about) around here. Letting it be known you actually considered getting one of these antennas is risky business. Others will likely look at you like your wheels are wobbling and muffler's about to fall off.

Many thanks. (y)

One important tradeoff with a physically-small antenna is bandwidth. And the TAK is very narrow.

The taps on the TAK-tenna are to tune it. Won't cover a whole band, only a small slice of it with a decent impedance match. Getting it tuned is reportedly a bit finicky.

I remember a Hustler mobile antenna that was popular in the 1970s. Only a little longer than one foot. The bandwidth where the SWR was under two to one was about ten or twelve channels. Wasn't a big deal when there were only 23 channels.

Reactions: Slowmover
One important tradeoff with a physically-small antenna is bandwidth. And the TAK is very narrow.

The taps on the TAK-tenna are to tune it. Won't cover a whole band, only a small slice of it with a decent impedance match. Getting it tuned is reportedly a bit finicky.

I remember a Hustler mobile antenna that was popular in the 1970s. Only a little longer than one foot. The bandwidth where the SWR was under two to one was about ten or twelve channels. Wasn't a big deal when there were only 23 channels.

Well, shoot.
Was hoping a SWR below 2.0:1 from 7.125 to 7.300.
That's not asking much.
Oh well. Got my hacksaw handy. :cool:

Well, shoot.
Was hoping a SWR below 2.0:1 from 7.125 to 7.300.
That's not asking much.
Oh well. Got my hacksaw handy. :cool:

Actually that IS asking a bit much. Even a 2/3 sized loaded dipole for 40m which is the typical size for a shortened dipole will be hard pressed to cover 200 KHz under 2:1. remember it's not about how many KHz the antenna bandwidth is it's about the PERCENTAGE of the operating frequency. You may cover a full MHz on 10/11m but that same antenna styled for 20 will only cover half that at the VERY most. Scaled for 40m means it would only cover 500 KHz at the very most and that is for full sized antennas.

Actually that IS asking a bit much. Even a 2/3 sized loaded dipole for 40m which is the typical size for a shortened dipole will be hard pressed to cover 200 KHz under 2:1. remember it's not about how many KHz the antenna bandwidth is it's about the PERCENTAGE of the operating frequency. You may cover a full MHz on 10/11m but that same antenna styled for 20 will only cover half that at the VERY most. Scaled for 40m means it would only cover 500 KHz at the very most and that is for full sized antennas.

Let's see. (n)
A LDG IT-100 for use with my IC-7200. Or . . .
A new radio with bell and whistles AND a built-in tuner. :whistle:

NEW RADIO!!! :ROFLMAO:

Forget the builtin tuner. Get a GOOD outboard manual tuner and learn how to use it. they are much better at tuning weird complex impedances and are easy to tune once you get used to them. I prefer manual tuners and have only used auto-tuners when mobile or a remote auto-tuner feeding a multiband dipole. They also will handle much more power.

Forget the builtin tuner. Get a GOOD outboard manual tuner and learn how to use it. they are much better at tuning weird complex impedances and are easy to tune once you get used to them. I prefer manual tuners and have only used auto-tuners when mobile or a remote auto-tuner feeding a multiband dipole. They also will handle much more power.

Doggone it, Captain!
I was all set to spend $1200 instead of $170.
Are you in cahoots with my wife?

Wait a minute! I can always haul my stepladder up into the attic, stand precariously on it and adjust the tapping points of the tuning wire each time I change frequencies and my SWR gets too high. :whistle:
That way, I don't need a tuner. Built-in or othewise!

Come on, new radio! :p

Last edited:
Doggone it, Captain!

I feel compelled to offer good info. Nobody has to feel compelled to follow that info.

Wait a minute! I can always haul my stepladder up into the attic, stand precariously on it and adjust the tapping points of the tuning wire each time I change frequencies and my SWR gets too high. :whistle:

Efficiency will be MUCH better with the final tuning being done AT THE ANTENNA regardless of what kind of antenna tuner you use. Even with very narrow band antennas it is better to adjust the matching network at the antenna than to use an antenna tuner to "stretch" the bandwidth. That's the problem with laws of physics.......you just can't beat them.

I feel compelled to offer good info. Nobody has to feel compelled to follow that info.
Efficiency will be MUCH better with the final tuning being done AT THE ANTENNA regardless of what kind of antenna tuner you use. Even with very narrow band antennas it is better to adjust the matching network at the antenna than to use an antenna tuner to "stretch" the bandwidth. That's the problem with laws of physics.......you just can't beat them.

Got it!
I need a better stepladder. (y)

Captain, on a more serious note, I'm clear on what you are saying. I know full well the limitations inherent with an antenna of this design (and every other compromised antenna I've constructed or purchased). Truth is, my understanding of antennas (and other aspects of the hobby) is greater than I've let on. I confess to being something of a chain-yanker and it has gone on far too long now. My apologies to you and the membership. It ends here. You and others have shot straight with me (for the most part) in the years I've been here and deserve the same courtesy. And that is my pledge moving forward.

Earlier, I brought an end to my poking the hornets' nests better known as the SRC Radio threads.

As far as the TAK-tenna goes, I simply enjoy fiddling with antennas of this nature as my present locale really does prohibit me from assembling the efficient, fully functional antenna system I'd love to have. There are alternatives, many of which have already been suggested, that would perform much better than those I've used and written about. And one day, I'll buckle down and put one up.

Sincerely,
Jim

Reactions: Slowmover
:mad: This forum needs a "DISLIKE" button. No seriously.....I take what little time I have and try to steer someone straight and then this. Time for bed now anyway and a busy day tomorrow.

Reactions: Tallman
Doggone it, Captain!

No, no, no the IC7200 will never do. Send it to me when you procure another suitable radio. :ROFLMAO:
CK is right. I have a TS480SAT which sucks. I run a LDG KT100 tuner with it which makes it rock for tuning various antennas.

No, no, no the IC7200 will never do. Send it to me when you procure another suitable radio. :ROFLMAO:
CK is right. I have a TS480SAT which sucks. I run a LDG KT100 tuner with it which makes it rock for tuning various antennas.

I like my 7200, binrat. It works beautifully and the DSP noise suppression is terrific. Just thinking a larger display and a spectrum scope would be nice. If I do keep it, I'll definitely get a LDG IT-100 for it, or a manual tuner like Captain suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
I like my 7200, binrat. It works beautifully and the DSP noise suppression is terrific. Just thinking a larger display and a spectrum scope would be nice. If I do keep it, I'll definitely get a LDG IT-100 for it, or a manual tuner like Captain suggested.
It is a good thing to listen to the Captain of Kilowatts! I would have to say without reservation the most knowledgeable person on this board. Okay CK where's my $10.00, that's USD right?

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated