1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Tak-tenna Antenna systems

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Heavy Metal, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Active Member

Went to this site and read a review, okay guys what do you think? Let's rip this apart or give it credit. Basicallly is it a sham or what?

http://tak-tenna.com/

2. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

I tried to make one 3-4 yrs ago. Never tuned up. I probably didn't know how to count turns and curl wire into spirals like some of the real antenna spinners. . .

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

It looks kind of like a scaled-down version of what I used to build for tractor trailers and I'm assuming that since it's mounted up so high it would probably be fairly comparable. With all the room a base application offers, It would be hard to justify scaling something down that small.

4. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Active Member

5. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Physically-small antennas tend to be narrow-banded.

The flip side of this is that tuning adjustments tend to be insanely touchy.

Thought about trying a TAK but never got a "round tuit".

6. Paul-W5lz

Paul-W5lz Member

If you have limited space then it's not a bad antenna to try. It does take some tuning! It will never be as good as a full sized antenna, but, it's certainly better than nothing.
    Ditto the 'round-toit' thingy...

HomerBB and binrat like this.
  7. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Google "Petlowany coil"

LeapFrog and rabbiporkchop like this.
  8. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Well, I have made an antenna out of a folding aluminum chair frame too.

They don't even know the difference between minimum VSWR and RESONANCE.

"The RF frequency is applied across the band to locate the SWR minimum frequency; the two wires ends - having alligator clips - are moved 2 inches at a time on each spiral to bring that SWR minimum to the frequency of your choice.
    When your achive resonance, the clips are removed and..."

I also liked the "HOT" and "COLD" RF sides of a dipole concept, isn't RF AC.

YMMV

Captain Kilowatt likes this.
  9. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Piece of junk if you ask me.

rabbiporkchop, binrat and The DB like this.
  10. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

This method works fine for maintaining efficiency to a point, but for a 40 meter antenna a 30 inch boom is just to much shortening, the same with their 48 inch boom on the 80 meter antenna. Sure they will function, and if you have nothing else that will fit they are better than that alternative, but to be effective they are simply way to short.

Their site is also riddled with errors. For example from their FAQ page...

Anyone who know anything about antennas knows this is false, resonance is completely different to anything that has anything to do with any concept of "resistance", and the "resistive load" at resonance can literally be any amount of resistance that is possible and depends on the antenna itself.

All this antenna really is is an antenna with a funny looking top loading coil that doubles as a kind of capacity hat as well. Such methods are fine to about 40% of the antenna's overall length before the efficiency (from ARRL Antenna Book series, older books), however, as I pointed about above, the boom lengths used are well shorter than that.

The DB

#10 The DB, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    rabbiporkchop likes this.
  11. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

Evidently a lot of people are happy with these as there are 146 reviews on eHam with an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5.
    I know some people discount eHam reviews (except when pushing a product they care about) but I suspect eHam reviewers represent a good cross-section of radio enthusuasts just as this site does. Reading their reviews is no different than asking a question in any of these forums. You are going to get all kinds of answers. But once you sift through them all you can likely make a somewhat informed decision.

Get one, HM and let us know how well it works.(y)

#11 Riverman71, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  12. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

The Department of Homeland Security uses them. They don't play around with junk.

13. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

It means nothing.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  14. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

Hmmm. . . that's either a BIG feather in the cap of Tak-tenna (y) or . . . I don't feel as safe as I did a few minutes ago. :eek:

I prefer BIG feather.

mrgumby, rabbiporkchop and Tallman like this.
  15. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

They are especially finicky when it comes to their communications equipment.
    So relax and feel safer because Uncle Sam is listening in!;);)

Riverman71 likes this.