• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Taking bets on where Fine Tune pops up next

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for Mark's attitude and nonsense, but at least he pretty much sounds on air as he does on his videos. I talked to him a few years ago when he was in Amarillo. I was just east of Houston one evening and we talked for quite a few minutes. He seemed like an OK guy then, not sure what happened to him.

And I really don't care for the sound of MMM or Drail. Especially Drail's radios.

The one station I hear that I do like is Dearslayer out of Florida. I don't know what he runs but it sounds good to me.

Ive never heard D-rail over the air but MMM sounds awesome coming out of my radio. Some of these SDR captures don't sound so hot.
Mmm was coming in big here yesterday. I'm with you, his station sounds pretty dog gone good! And yes the gates you see don't do justice compared to hearing it live in the receiver.

Reactions: 881TX6666 and Rwb
Going to cost a fortune to get all that equipment recalibrated and re-certified after it is moved…..Do you need special permits to transport a Faraday cage? Do some companies specialize is Faraday cage relocation?

I thought it was illegal to transport faradays across state lines! Plus, he keeps them in a cage?

D-Rail looks awful on the waterfall and sounds awful.

Surprisingly, Motormouth Maul's signal is a good example of what an AM signal should look like. However, the audio quality is obviously over processed with outboard gear and when used like that in weak band conditions, all that heavy audio wouldn't be heard very well. A stock CB( after a Fine Tune of course :rolleyes:) with the same power would cut through the same weak band conditions much more effectively, that's a fact! Many Ham guys are guilty of this too by the way.

This seems to be the trend these days to get FM sound on AM and that's why it doesn't sound natural to the mode and will only be heard like that locally or when propagation is ideal for the station on the other end.

A quote from an audio engineering book I was reading makes a lot of sense on this subject...

" the more processing done to a signal, the further from the truth it becomes"

Last edited:
How old of a feller is Fine tune?
Doesn't he know any better?
Has he never grew up?
I've seen a few of his videos, heard him bragging but, other than that, just what I've read here.
Just how old is the guy? Anyone know?
he might be 1 of 2 from the ARC

I have heard a lot of am operators in georgia proudly running a drail radio. Have yet to make contact with anyone that admits to having a "Fine Tune" radio.
Same here. Although I love the idea behind the hifi audio of D-rail and MMM, I do believe they use just a bit too much compression. Being an audio guy, I can hear the distortion, even though they may not be overmodulated in the true sense. Mark Sherman only replaces a few resistors and then turns down the power and modulation so he can claim being the cleanest radio. What good is clean if nobody can hear you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.