• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tapatalk

Since I only used Tapatalk to access this site (only here right now via laptop to see what happened), and now I see its no longer supported; I doubt I will be back all that often.

I am only able to access through a phone normally, Tapatalk just made it so much easier than getting on the internet.

What is the great appeal of Tapatalk? I have never used it and just surf in to the site with my browser the same as on my laptop. Everything looks 100% the same on either my phone of laptop. I like it that way. what is the advantage of Tapatalk anyway? FWIW I have accessed the new site on my phone using the browser and everything seems to look the same and runs fine. Phone is an Android Motorola type running on a 3G system.

You almost need to download it and use it for a few days on another forum that you are a member on (if it's supported) and see for yourself. I tried it when it first came out, but really didn't use it much until I started seeing more of the forums start supporting it that I'm a member of. All of your forums are in one tidy spot with account info synched. The biggest advantage for me, is speed. Everything is indexed nice and neat. Pages load much faster than using mobile platform and it uses much less data that mobile browser. I like how it instantly switches between new posts and subscribed posts.

You can tell the app is designed for users that frequent many forums. If a person just checks in occasionally, then Tapatalk is pointless. However, if you check in frequently or are subscribed to many forums, then it's pretty darned handy, especially if you have limited data plans.

Using new software is always cumbersome, but Tapatalk is pretty easy to figure out and navigate.

I can navigate this forum on my phone without it, but it's like going back in time, speed wise. Mobile browsers are inherently slow to begin with. It's kind of a bummer without it. I find myself ignoring my phone now and just waiting to log on with my computer at home.

Since you've always used your native browser on your phone, then the new look won't be that much different for you. It may be faster, but not much. Talk to someone you know or have them show you how Tapatalk works. It's just hard for me to explain it.

From what I've just read, there are still quite a few issues with Tapatalk running on sites that use the software we're using here; including a lot of "glitchy" user experience and reduced functionality. Apparently the latest version even broke the standard search function. Earlier this year there was even a Tapatalk security exploit on sites that used it that wasn't fixed for months. For anyone that cares, I will be happy to PM them a link to a thread of forum owners that are pretty unhappy about Tapatalk as a whole.

BTW, if you're still using an old version of Tapatalk on your phone, you probably have a version with security exploits and need to update.

I get why people like Tapatalk; I have used it in the past. But for every person that likes Tapatalk, I get complaints from 3 more that complain about the constant notices about tapatalk when they browse the site with their mobile / tablet browser.

Try to look at this from a site owner's perspective: When a lot of time and money is spent to build an engaging site with an engaging brand, what incentive should I have to help facilitate a mobile user experience (Tapatalk) that completely bypasses most of the site functionality, bypasses all of the site branding, is buggy, has security issues, is annoying to non-tapatalk mobile users, and puts money in someone else's pocket?

Instead of focusing on Tapatalk, try exploring some of the new site features, like the rich social media integration that is now at your fingertips. Or the enhanced photo / video gallery. Or even the new chat. None of which will work on Tapatalk...

I can live with that. Like I said, I can do without it. The Tapatalk notice is pretty annoying at that. Will supporting members have an ad free experience soon? I'm sure that will help greatly.

. Will supporting members have an ad free experience soon? I'm sure that will help greatly.

Mostly ad free, like before. I'm working on it. I'll double check, but if I remember correctly on the old site, the only ads Premium members saw was the top one and the ones right above the reply.

Besides, you know you like seeing all that tempting stuff to buy on ebay.... ;)

I don't like ads that show stuff that was mined from other sites with tracking cookies. Didn't used to be so bad years ago, but them SOB's got that science down pat now. I can be looking at something on one site then have the same shit fed to me in ads here and elsewhere. If I'm not careful, my wife can tell what I've been looking at when she's surfs her sites. Makes it hard to buy toys for the girlfriend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.