• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Technical question regarding rules

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Upper SideBand (USB): The sideband higher in frequency than the transmitter’s carrier.

I was reading another forum and something caught my attention. When the new rules go into affect for allowing 28.300-500 phone for Techs will 28.500 usb technically put the operator out of band and subject the person to a possible NOV ?

My understanding has allways been that if any part of your signal can be heard above 28.500 you are out of your band limit. For example if I were to TX on 28.300 I would be in violation because my signal would be heard below 28.300.

I think this is important as many will be on those Freq's not realizing this. But I am a little confused because talking SSB on CB 40 or 1 can do the same thing but is allowed.

Sonwatcher said:
Upper SideBand (USB): The sideband higher in frequency than the transmitter’s carrier.

When the new rules go into affect for allowing 28.300-500 phone for Techs will 28.500 usb technically put the operator out of band and subject the person to a possible NOV ?
YES. You can also bet there will be a gazillion pi$$ed off Hams who will be watching like a hawk for the least little violation even if they have to "fudge" a little as to where you really were or if there RX is off a few KC's. I would stay way away from the limits to be safe ;) IF the change goes in effect Friday the 23'rd you can bet I'll be on 10M calling CQ even if the conditions are terrible. Then Saturday afternoon when I have the papers in my hand, I'll be on ALL BANDS :D

It's been like this since the start. You have to keep your signal in the authorized band. If that means you have to 'scootch' up or down a little, then just do it. It also assumes that you know signal bandwidths, band allocations, etc. Why isn't it the same on the 'CB' channels? It is, but since the center frequency of each channel is determined for AM (3K of signal on each side of the center freq.), and since a SSB signal should only be 'half' of an AM signal (upper or lower) then you are still within the allowable channel dimensions/allocation. (Uh... ~if~ the approved equipment hasn't been mod'ed, right?) Also why the 'CB' channels have the spacing that they have. A good SSB 'rule of thumb' is to stay 3 Khz inside the band edges. That '3 Khz' thingy depends on which side band is in use, but sure makes it easy to remember (and so you loose about 2Khz on one end or the other, big deal).
Different modes have different band widths. CW is about .5 Khz, AM about 6 Khz, SSB about 3 Khz, etc, etc. (Hint: the mode designater, 'J3_ ' for SSB for instance... the number is the signal bandwidth.)
- 'Doc

All this stuff used to be on the test at one time or another. 'Extra' stuff to remember, but it kept those 'pink slips' out of the mail box... well, most of the time.

I just thought it would be good to bring notice to this as I am sure many getting their 1st ticket will throw the freq counter on a band edge on SSB and think nothing of it.

You're right, certainly won't hurt! Also shouldn't be that hard to remember once one of them "Oh-Oh" cards hits the mail box. :)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.