• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Technically, not CB related...and may even get me thrown out of here!!!!!

This sounds like a question where you already know the answer and blowing your trumpet (prematurely) at the same time. Not sure what your end game is.
Actually.....I didn't think I was going to get thrown off. I was just having some light hearted fun with the idea that CBers and Hams have inherent trouble with each other..... which they often don't.

I hope you got your sheets changed and washed.

Grew up on CB, got into Ham in 2008, upgraded to General a couple months later, got lazy and finally passed my Extra a few years later. My XYL is also an Extra. I enjoy all forms of radio communications... licensed and unlicensed. Would be kinda nice if the FCC opened up that void between 10 and 11 meters for a few more CB channels, though.

Reactions: Rwb
Back in 1976, my boss saw how many "sideband" CB operators we were working for and started ham license classes in the front of the store. He had been an electronics instructor in the Marine Corps and felt perfectly at home with this. We had room for a dozen chairs back then, and a procession of "outlaw" sideband operators got their ham license as a result.

Fast-forward ten or fifteen years, after I had bought out my boss and moved the business across town. Walking down the flea market aisles at hamfests I would spot some of these guys. Some of them were now the "old timer" in a ham club. Started to notice some of them would turn the other way as soon as they saw me, as if they hoped I hadn't seen them. Just figured they were afraid I would walk up and ask "Do you still have the SBE Console 2 with the Siltronix slider?" or some such thing., When they went ham, they went whole hog, so to speak. Did seem a bit silly. The 11-meter "scarlet letter" was still a thing with the hams of the 1980s

Just learned to chuckle about it and keep walking Never did try to pop the bubble for any of those guys.

By now the 11-meter stigma has mostly faded from the ham community. I still would like to know when the last ham who was never on 11 meters becomes a silent key. Can't be many of them left.

And the guys from the 1977 ham-license classes? About half of them were retired at the time. Not many of them still with us today, if any.

Last edited:
Yea, 19 is full of it, too. Why do people wanna talk DX on 19? Nothing but spanish on 9, also. There is one guy I hear on 19 who has pristine sounding audio, he'll go on for hours on the virtues of clean audio.

Reactions: GlocknSpiel and Rwb
You must buy everyone in the group that is the same class that you are a New HT of their choice of course.Congrats & I hope you are a General Class. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW

i use every band i can .amazes me how some hams get so uptite when you even meb=ntion cb radio like it gonna kill you, i know many who were cb operators then become hams me included,i still use cb and enjoy it too

Reactions: AudioShockwav
i use every band i can .amazes me how some hams get so uptite when you even meb=ntion cb radio like it gonna kill you, i know many who were cb operators then become hams me included,i still use cb and enjoy it too
I started in CB in 1965 & I finally gave up on it last year because it's a Toilet that like most Big Cities needs Flushing so badly to remove all of the Crap that's there Today.It's beyond repair & I blame the FCC for not doing their job with Enforcement.I once loved the 11 meter band but it's not worth my time & I can't stand all of the Noise Toys,Echo Microphones,& just plain childish activity on every channel.The animals at the Zoo behave better & make far less useless noise.It's clear that hundreds of thousands of so called CB Operators don't understand that a Radio is for COMMUNICATIONS not to PLAY with.They are Not TOYS.11 meters is a DISGRACE so I will stick with Amateur Radio & GMRS where I can find people who act their age & they don't act like children.There are a few frequencies on Amateur Radio that get bad but on 11 meters every channel is just another example of what happens when you have Zero Control of the animals in the Zoo so you can't escape it & it's even worse when the band is open. The Good Old Day are forever GONE & they will never return.{:>(

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

Last week I got a batch of emails from different places.... all telling me that the FCC targeted 4/19/2022 as the starting date for the new $35 fee for license related transactions.

Well there is an old phrase some people used..... had something like...."or GET OFF THE POT" in it......

I had been studying for I while.... but I went into a hyper "test exam" mode for the last three days of the week... went and took my "Amateur Extra" test yesterday.... and aced it.

SO NOW... the real question is........

can I stay in here? Will you guys let me come back????? Ever????????????
Congratulations! Have fun with it!

I started in CB in 1965 & I finally gave up on it last year because it's a Toilet that like most Big Cities needs Flushing so badly to remove all of the Crap that's there Today.It's beyond repair & I blame the FCC for not doing their job with Enforcement.I once loved the 11 meter band but it's not worth my time & I can't stand all of the Noise Toys,Echo Microphones,& just plain childish activity on every channel.The animals at the Zoo behave better & make far less useless noise.It's clear that hundreds of thousands of so called CB Operators don't understand that a Radio is for COMMUNICATIONS not to PLAY with.They are Not TOYS.11 meters is a DISGRACE so I will stick with Amateur Radio & GMRS where I can find people who act their age & they don't act like children.There are a few frequencies on Amateur Radio that get bad but on 11 meters every channel is just another example of what happens when you have Zero Control of the animals in the Zoo so you can't escape it & it's even worse when the band is open. The Good Old Day are forever GONE & they will never return.{:>(

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520
I take it, you haven't been on 40M on a Friday night lately? JK for the most part, and I realize the depravity isn't as prevalent on 40M as it is on CH19, but it still has it's "moments" ;)
I think the chicken bands still serve a purpose today. And the more people that have a CB rig they can throw inline after an SHTF event, the better. CB very well may have saved my life in 1979, and from sitting countless traffic jams and being caught in speed traps. I owe a lot to having it around, even though I rarely venture there anymore... But I still do! I still have many friends I like to check in on every now and then, so keeping the capability for 11M is vital for me.

Reactions: Rwb and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated