• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thanksgiving Eve, always makes me think of this....

park

Sep 30, 2006
Near Austin, TX
A week before I took a IC-735 to Jarrell, Tx 50 miles to the north on IH-35 for repairs. I can't remember his name but the owner of the shop called me at 2pm. to let me know the radio was ready. It was Thanksgiving Eve 1991, I lived in Austin, Tx. I told him I would be on the way, he said that he would close at 5pm.

I told my wife I would be back by 4pm. Well, I was unaware of thanksgiving eve traffic in that area. I hoped in my pickup drove the short distance to the interstate, headed north only to travel a few miles when all of us came to a stop including the access roads. I thought there must have been a bad accident but after an hour and a half and listening to CB ch.19 I soon realized that it was like this all the way to Dallas! You could not even get off the interstate!

Four hours later I arrived at the radio shop only to find him closed (6pm). I turned around and headed for home. At 10pm I'm walking through the front door (no cell phones then) greeted buy a very unhappy wife because we had plans.

It's funny because I never talk about that day during the year but every Thanksgiving eve my wife and I will bring it up and laugh about it.

I had a similar situation as Park, but it involved Striped Bass fishing on Thanksgiving day...(also pre cell phone)....I showed up just about the time everyone had given up and was ready to sit down to dinner when I came flying into the driveway and demanded someone come outside with a camera.....

At that point in my life I had just landed my personal best striper, and wanted photographic evidence, being Thanksgiving none of the tackle shops were open, and I couldn't weigh it in, so I at least wanted a picture of me holding it.

So I was not only late for Thanksgiving dinner, but I interupted everyone else's dinner on arrival, and when I did make it to the table I smelled of fish.....talk about endearing yourself to the better half.....and Mother-in-law at the same time......:eek:

I was reminded of that event for many years until this Thanksgiving, my son and daughter's boyfriend decided to go surfing, the waves were very good and they stayed out longer than they should have. Both showed up at the house right at dinner time, both in wet sandy wetsuits, and in need of a shower before they could sit at the table.....

I looked at my wife and said....REPRIEVED, REPRIEVED......:LOL:

I even thanked the boys for taking the Thanksgiving heat off of me.....(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.