• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

That whole coax length thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAVE A RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!!!! THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!!!!! You must be a Hillary voter!!!!!!

Yeah you are going to go far.

So, to the topic at hand.
I asked a few people, mostly hams that I know and I got a uniform response that it matters if the antenna manufacturer says it does or the antenna is something custom.
For me running a Wilson 1000 or the like it matters not.

Then it came to the CB crowd and the "spechul" coaxial cables to match amplifiers to radios like the infamous "Fine Tuned" snake oil cables that magically improve receiver performance. So that market exists as I understand it because these people building these amplifiers lack the expertise to properly design them.

But I am no expert.
The takeaway was... read the instructions and only care if it says so in the instructions.

I dont know why you guys get all bent out of shape over coax length. I just run enough from the shack to the antenna and call it a day, SMH!

I think you're getting bent out if shape for no reason. All I did was show you that the hambones get caught up in this age old debate too. Both sides of the radio hobby have their own myths and misconceptions.

Just remember that a feedline of any kind (balanced or unbalanced) will act as an impedance transformer if the impedence of the load it is terminated into is different from the impedance of the feedline. Once this is understood a lot of the confusion goes away. Watching the standing up for standing waves video in bob85's signature is worth your time.

For the most part we can use whatever length gets us from point A to B. When someone sees a change with different feedline lengths there has always a lack of understanding as to what is really going on. People come up with their own theories or expect a yes or no answer they can apply to every scenario they encounter. That doesn't work and leads to ignorant people arguing over nonsense.

Reactions: fourstringburn
Damn. I guess he won't see my reply.

Well he went all Chernobyl on me in PM's after I said he should stop with the profanity telling people to F off and it went downhill from there. LOL No problem. In usual snowflake fashion it was not his fault, everybody else is stupid and wrong and he has a right to free speech and can express himself anyway he feels like and I am a control freak and tyrant. Anyway what is done is done. Lets move on.

Yeah you are going to go far.

So, to the topic at hand.
I asked a few people, mostly hams that I know and I got a uniform response that it matters if the antenna manufacturer says it does or the antenna is something custom.
For me running a Wilson 1000 or the like it matters not.

Then it came to the CB crowd and the "spechul" coaxial cables to match amplifiers to radios like the infamous "Fine Tuned" snake oil cables that magically improve receiver performance. So that market exists as I understand it because these people building these amplifiers lack the expertise to properly design them.

But I am no expert.
The takeaway was... read the instructions and only care if it says so in the instructions.
Is that your way of justifying dumping $400 into a $162.00 Radio by adding a channel kit and a stinger board and turning it into a $50.00 radio when you could have saved the customer a few bucks and sold him an export that would have performed better on the 10m band for less money and had greater value?
Sure, the profit margin would be smaller but at least you'd have integrity and be providing the customer with the maximum value for the dollar spent. Not quite sure why you didn't log in under your original screen name unless you happened to lose your password and had to create a new account which is highly doubtful.

Last edited:
Why would there be a need to increase ground soil conductivity for any other reason than RF or lightning grounds?
Yes! what I meant by Rf ground in the previous post was the balancing side of a dipole for example.

Antennas near salt water or rich soils tend to perform better due to soil coductivity.

Don't many broadcast stations have their remote towers located in good soil locations where possible?

Yes! what I meant by Rf ground in the previous post was the balancing side of a dipole for example.

OK Gottcha.

Antennas near salt water or rich soils tend to perform better due to soil coductivity.

Don't many broadcast stations have their remote towers located in good soil locations where possible?

Yes but that ground conductivity is what constitutes the RF ground aka ground plane or path for return RF currents. AM broadcast stations prefer to locate in areas of rich high conductivity soil because it provides a much better RF ground. All four of the AM stations I regularly looked after were located on prime farmland which was enhanced with a radial system. FM stations of course do not need this due to the higher frequency.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Is that your way of justifying dumping $400 into a $162.00 Radio by adding a channel kit and a stinger board and turning it into a $50.00 radio when you could have saved the customer a few bucks and sold him an export that would have performed better on the 10m band for less money and had greater value?
I never tried to justify dumping any money into any radio.
What does this have to do with coaxial cables?

Citation please?

I never tried to justify dumping any money into any radio.
What does this have to do with coaxial cables?

Citation please?
Since the sole purpose of your new profile is to bash mark and myself without bringing criticism to your real profile which does business with various radio shops peddling your Channel kits and Stinger boards it seems quite obvious your dual persona is to allow you the luxury of making fun of your own customers with one persona while pretending to be on good terms with them using your real persona. I think it's a safe assumption you handed out the username and password which you just created to all 850 nro members so that any one of them could log in at any time pretending to be this Anonymous radio dude to bash the guy that's putting a hurt on your sales of your stinger boards and your channel kits and calling attention to the fact you invested a great portion of your life producing a product that became obsolete before you were born.

It's an illness with him. Clear signs of mental illness.
Now it's about everyone else again. It's faux news "what about" syndrome.
But these very same two people attack others on a regular basis.
Even innocents like kids.
But that's okay. They are "entitled" I guess.

But, since I am one of the 850 NRO people, which by the way numskull the mods can verify you just have fun with that one.

Yes, I am anonymous. I even made this account as a mockery of another troll.
The mods can verify that one, too.
Keep reaching. It's obviously part of the mission statement to "out" anyone that doesn't like the deity by his producer or hired shill.

Now can we get back to the matter at hand without derailing it to defend the almighty Mark Sherman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.