• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The “what were they thinking” thread - CB Radio Edition

ITT : songs I don’t know

Also ITT : Tallman exposes himself for breaking patient confidentiality rules.

And in other news, Tallman is now seeking employment as a proctologist. He said it’s a stinky job but somebody has to do it.

Seven Bridges Road history:

Composition and original recording[edit]
"Seven Bridges Road"
Single by Steve Young
from the album Rock Salt & Nails
B-side
"Many Rivers"
Released 1969
Format 45 single
Recorded 1969
Genre Country
Length 3:22
Label Reprise
Songwriter(s) Steve Young
Producer(s) Paul Tannen
Steve Young was inspired to write "Seven Bridges Road" during a sojourn in Montgomery, Alabama, in the early 1960s: according to Young "a group of friends...showed me [a] road [that] led out of town...After you had crossed seven bridges you found yourself out in the country on a dirt road. Spanish moss hung in the trees and there were old farms with old fences and graveyards and churches and streams. A high-bank dirt road with trees. It seemed like a Disney fantasy at times. People went there to park or get stoned or just to get away from it all. I thought my friends had made up the name 'Seven Bridges Road'. I found out later that it had been called by that name for over a hundred years. "[1]

The song's locale has been identified as Woodley Road, a rural two-lane road which runs south off East Fairview Avenue - the southern boundary of Montgomery's Cloverdale neighborhood - at Cloverdale Road, and which features seven bridges; three pairs of bridges, and the seventh approximately 1 mile south by itself. Young himself never publicly identified the actual name of the road possibly due to faulty recollection; however, Alabamian journalist Wayne Greenhaw in his book My Heart Is in the Earth: True Stories of Alabama & Mexico (Red River Publishing/ 2001) relates how on a Sunday in springtime he accompanied Young and their friend Jimmy Evans on a drive down Woodley Road to Orion for a guitar jam session with bluesman C. P. Austin, and that it was on the return trip up Woodley Road that Young began the composition of "Seven Bridges Road".[2][3]

Jimmy Evans, then Young's roommate and later Attorney General of Alabama, also endorses Woodley Road as being Young's inspiration: (Evans quote:) "I'd go down [Woodley Road] to Orion a lot to listen to ...C. P. Austin...There [were] seven wooden bridges [on Woodley] and we'd go out there a lot...I thought it was the most beautiful place around Montgomery that I'd ever seen. That road was a cavern of moss; it looked like a tunnel." [4] Evans specifically recalls the Woodley Road trip which occasioned Young's writing "Seven Bridges Road": "That night there was a full moon. We were in my Oldsmobile, and when I stopped Steve got out on the right side fender. We sat there a while, and he started writing down words." [4] Evans recalls that after beginning to write the song on Woodley Road that night, Young completed his composition at the apartment he and Evans shared in Montgomery's Capitol Heights neighborhood.[4]

Young's own recollection was that the final version of "Seven Bridges Road" "was put together over a period of several years. Sometimes I'd say [to myself] 'good song'. Then I'd say nobody could relate to a song like this." [5] Young did play a completed version of the song at a gig in Montgomery - according to Jimmy Evans, Young's usual local performing venue was the Shady Grove club [4] - ; (Young quote:) "it got a big reaction. I was very surprised and thought it just because it was a local known thing and that was why they liked it." When Young did approach a Hollywood-based music publisher in 1969 with "Seven Bridges Road" he was advised the song "wasn't commercial enough." [5] "Seven Bridges Road" was not originally intended for inclusion on the Rock Salt & Nails album; in fact, Young states album producer Tommy LiPuma "didn't want me to record original songs. He wanted me to be strictly a singer and interpreter of folk songs and country standards." [6]

However, in Young's words: "One day we ran out of songs to record [for Rock Salt & Nails] in the studio...[7] I started playing 'Seven Bridges Road'. LiPuma interjected: 'You know I don't want to hear original stuff.' But [guitarist] James Burton said: 'Hey, this song sounds good and it is ready, let's put it down...[6] After it was recorded, LiPuma had to admit that, original or not, it was good."[7] Subsequent to the song's introduction on Rock Salt & Nails, Young remade the song twice, on his 1972 album entitled Seven Bridges Road and on his 1978 album No Place to Fall.

In a 1981 interview Young would say of "Seven Bridges Road": "Consciously when I wrote it, it was just a song about a girl and a road in south Alabama. Now I think there's almost a mystical thing about it." [5]

Iain Matthews version/Eagles version[edit]
"Seven Bridges Road"

Single by Eagles
from the album Eagles Live
B-side
"The Long Run (live)" (4:08)
Released 15 December 1980
Format 45 single
Recorded 28 July 1980
Genre Country rock
Length 3:02
Label Asylum 2051
Songwriter(s) Steve Young
Producer(s) Bill Szymczyk
Eagles singles chronology
"I Can't Tell You Why"
(1980) "Seven Bridges Road"
(1980) "Get Over It"
(1994)
"Seven Bridges Road" would have its highest profile incarnation due to a 1980 live recording by Eagles [6][8] whose 4/4 tempo and close harmony vocal arrangement are borrowed from a recording made by Iain Matthews from his August 1973 album release Valley Hi.[9] Matthews' album was recorded with producer Mike Nesmith at the latter's Countryside Ranch studio in North Hills (LA): Nesmith would recall of Matthews' recording of "Seven Bridges Road": "Ian and I put it together and [we] sang about six or seven part harmony on the thing, and I played acoustic. It turned out to be a beautiful record[ing]".[10] On the similarity of Eagles' later version, Nesmith would state: "Son of a gun if...Don [Henley] or somebody in Eagles didn't lift [our] arrangement absolutely note for note for vocal harmony for vocal harmony...If they can't think it up themselves [and] they've got to steal it from somebody else, better they should steal it...from me I guess." [10] Ian Matthews would recall that, in 1973, he and the members of Eagles were acquainted through frequenting the Troubadour: "we were forever going back to somebody's house and playing music. Don Henley had a copy of 'Valley Hi' that he liked, so I've no doubt about that being where their version of the song came from." [11]

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
ITT : songs I don’t know

Also ITT : Tallman exposes himself for breaking patient confidentiality rules.

And in other news, Tallman is now seeking employment as a proctologist. He said it’s a stinky job but somebody has to do it.
YUP! All of your patients are assholes too.

Well this has just went south really fast, imagine that.

But we got a small music lesson from it, so all hasn’t been a total loss. Who is buying the radio? Anybody here want some of those sweet skull knobs?

Tallman, we’re not friends anymore. You have made a mockery of the Darkside for the last time.

1FD9A671-9EDD-43EB-BE17-FF34CA092343.jpeg

I’m gonna enjoy watching you die, so I removed my helmet so I could see it with my own eyes...

4BACF416-A287-43A1-9816-F6FD456497B5.jpeg

No bald jokes either...

Reactions: 999 and Tallman
What did your mama tell you about taking the helmet off in public????
For the sake of any and all farce change your depends or put the helmet back on!

Achmed the BABA YAGA is behind you!
th

Last edited:
Reactions: n8fgb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated