• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Cobra 29

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
This is the radio that everyone has or had or wished they never sold or Jazzed up with all kinds of mods. Some would pay a lot of money for just one more watt or 1% more modulation. Question is are the all created equal and put in a different case? what 29 is the best of the current models? Don't need a key down radio but was looking at buying one. The Cobra 29 ltd looks good for the price Is the Cobra 29 ltd chrome worth 10 more with talk-back. Are any of the radios superior or just different options and are there any that that you should stay away from. I didn't like the new LX series the display and it drained my battery and the weather alert was a pain in the butt.

I beleive all the newer model 29's use the same board, all the ones I've had my hands in anyway, just a matter of what features your looking for. I like the black chrome because of its different look, but the talkback isn't as clear as the good ole resistor talkback imo. Never was crazy about the lx either, don't like the lcd display. But ya can't ever go wrong with a classic(y)

The 29 LX has the same board but offers scan, t/b, and a diagnostics program and a couple others. I loved mine. Sold it to make room for a Bearcat 980SSB. Oh well.

Pre 2010 should still have the 10 pin audio chip. Some of newer ones after 2010 don't do the watts the old ones did but the good news is the wave form is not as nasty. The 2013 model I have does about 15 watts pep. Just a variable and basic tune up...yeah the limiter is disabled. An older 29 with the same mod might do 25pep or better but the waveform is not as clean. The model you want depends on what your after. The older ones are easier to get that overly loud ear piercing distortion that some like. The new chip doesn't seem to have as much juice but if you're just wanting a good clear clean radio it doesn't matter. The variable talk back knob is a good place for a variable power on the chrome radios.

I use a newer lx alot of the time and for the regular 40 on am they are great talkers. Mine does 0 to 4 watts dk. 16 pep. I love the display. I use a grant xl alot also. Yeasu is reserved for freebanding.

Why did Cobra change C61 to a 151 from a 101? What is the purpose of it? Swapping back to the 101 does increase the power.

CbRadiosPRONTO
How much gain in power did you see?
I think this falls under the or close to the 30% margin.
Or perhaps they are trying to stay within the FCC type acceptance power level. Not sure there.

I will say that the 29 (to me) is one of the best radios ever made made for an AM unit.

If you can find one that isn't all hacked up and has a million miles on it, get a 29 XLR. Built the way they should be, easily modifiable thanks to the 858 chip and dependable as a sunrise.

Don't get all caught up in the old Cobra radio, they generally need work and aren't any better than the new fleet.

Reactions: 1 person
On AM the older 29s were the best out there along with the lessor 25 GTL. I still have my dad's old 29 from his 1972 Camero.... works like a champ!
The newer LXs are pretty neat, may be the transistion to the modern SMD style, would be nice to have an LX with SSB.... but then again the Maxlog M8800 and soon to be had M8900 may fit that bill! **Jump_im**

73 mechanic

Regardless what some may think, dont see how you could go wrong with a old school Cobra 29LTD Classic, I used to run one on a base setup for awhile sweet radio, mine had the variable power in it and did good with my amps......the old school radios was built with quality parts.....

Have heard some say the newer 29's were built using cheap parts, never ran one so I can't say...
Google and see what you learn about them....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.