• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The EF vs dipole Full Wave pattern anomoly

TheBlaster

Jun 29, 2020
I was thinking about a video I watched a few days ago and whilst messing with models found an oddity. Which was also confirmed in a subsequent video.

It seems a full wave dipole has a great pattern yet an end fed has a horrendous pattern.... I think the saying is...... Wassup ? I thought there might be an issue with the modelling software or I made a beginners error but since the model of a full wave EF was confirmed to have a pretty poor pattern for DX I thought I would post as I am stumped.

When I checked current centre's they look rather similar so why the giant pattern differences. Both modeled essentially ground mounted

Attachments

• Full Wave dipole.jpg
    Full Wave dipole.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 125
  • I for FW Dipole.jpg
    I for FW Dipole.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Full wave end fed.jpg
    Full wave end fed.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 112
  • I for EF FW.jpg
    I for EF FW.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 97

Hmmmm... curious... the context was a vertical multi band doublet of some specified length fed with ladder line and an ATU. At one frequency it was essentially a full wavelength dipole and had a very nice looking modeled radiation pattern, as does my quick and dirty model above.

i.e. 20m wire dipole (10m each element) and 20m EF wire for 20m band

Does this mean my use of the term "dipole" is incorrect or some short coming of modelling ? Both patterns seem to show a "radiation" pattern despite one being very poor and one looking quite good. That does not seem to correspond with the assertion that a full wave dipole cannot exist.

Last edited:
if we move the feedpoint from the center of a full wave dipole 1/4 wl to either side of center it feeds just the same but the radiation pattern will be noticeably different when compared to a center fed 1/2 dipole. this works as long as each half of the dipole is any odd number of 1/4 wl. in length. this works because at any odd number of 1/4 wl. the current and voltage always returns from the opposite ends of the elements in phase with the current and voltage at the feedpoint.

as for end fed 1/2 wl. verticals, they'll never work better than when they're sitting on top of the opposite end of and end fed 1/4 wl, vertical.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBlaster
So it seems a full dipole at same length as wavelength of operating frequency is only good for heating the living room very slightly in winter ?

I wonder why MMANA-GAL basic shows the 2 radiation patterns it does for these 2 full wave antennas.

Thanks for the info on other antennas freecell..though I did not understand your last post. A 1/2 wave EF won't ever work better than an EFHW sitting on the top of a 1/4 wave :ROFLMAO:.. is how I read it. (1/4 wave extra height and use 1/4 wave as counterpoise I guess??)

If we can go back to full wave antennas as this is confusing me sufficiently.

By what is said I imagine this would be a non ideal antenna for the 12m band ?

https://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/simple-multi-band-vertical/

Edit : I have never measured the impedance of a full wave dipole but I suspect it would be an incredibly difficult match... but that is a different topic... let's speak radiation..... or lack thereof.

the input impedance at the bottom of an end fed 1/2 wl. antenna is high impedance. (max voltage, zero current) the impedance present at the opposite end of an end fed 1/4 wl. antenna is also a high impedance. (max voltage, zero current)

i'm looking over the information in the link you posted above.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a video I watched a few days ago and whilst messing with models found an oddity. Which was also confirmed in a subsequent video.

I'm not sure if mmana-gal can show the combined current and phase data. If it can that will give a visual on what I am talking about below. If it can't, let me know, I will make some models in 4nec2 where I can add the phase and current data together and post them for you.

EDIT:Actually, I wonder if mmana-gal will work on linux... I'll try running it in wine after I post this message.

Here is what is happening.

When it comes to antennas, the longest straight element length that will be completely in phase with itself (without the help of something like a phasing stub) is 1/2 wavelength. Anything longer than this length will be partially out of phase.

For example, with the 5/8 wavelength antenna 1/2 wavelength of the antenna, from the tip to the point 1/2 wavelength down from the tip, will be at one phase, and the rest, in this case the remaining 1/8 wavelength, will be out of phase. In fact this part of the antenna will be the opposite phase as the first 1/2 wavelength of the antenna, and will in fact work against it.

I used 5/8 wavelength for the end fed length as it is near the limit where the added currents from the out of phase part of the antenna get significant enough to start negatively affecting the low angle gain of said antenna.

In your post, you used an end fed full wavelength antenna. In this case, you have the top half of the antenna that will always be out of phase with the bottom half of the antenna. Both halves of the antenna are working against each other, but both are putting out effectively the same amount of power.

Its like two people pulling on a rope (tug of war?), and both putting the exact same amount of power into each end of the rope, pulling in opposite directions. They don't/can't move as they are in a perfect stalemate.

The center fed full wavelength antenna design, however, is different. At that half wavelength point where the change happens and both halves of the antenna work against each other above, we have a feed point, and feed points have a special property. Both sides of the feed point are always "in phase" with each other. Or in other words, when it comes to the tug of war example from above, both sides are still pulling with the exact same amount of power, but now they are pulling on the same side of the rope. This is to say instead of working against each other, they combine with each other.

The DB

Thanks The DB. Then it clears it up and yes I am aware of the small "out of phase" portion in a 5/8 wave antenna, (though that is not what I understand out of phase to mean as out of phase implies 2 separate waves and I or current is 1 sinus wave) This portion of current at the bottom seems to drag the pattern down or flatten if you like...and produce its gain at a lower angle. At least according to the simplistic explanation I read.

So a full wave dipole can exist after all.

I knew there was something not quite adding up, appreciate the clarification.

It is still curious that MMANA GAL basic allows an end fed full wave wire to be made and in fact shows a radiation pattern when there should be none.

And I am indeed more familiar with out of phase currents, or at least the opposing polarity of a cycle showing on the other side of the wire instead of the same side giving a very wrong impression.

There is just one other issue though... this is a sine wave representing current alone and a sine wave is 1 wave.. and it must by definition have a + and - side.. how can these different polarities cancel each other if one either lags or foregoes the other in time and space ?... For phase cancellation 2 waves need to be in opposing polarity at the exactly the same place in time and space to cancel.

There does not seem to be 2 waves exactly 180 degrees out of phase in such an antenna simultaneously to cancel.

The radio rabbit hole is a deep one with many twists and turns.

Last edited:
I got Mmana-gal working in linux, so I can use it if need be. Man its been a while since I used this program. I had to really search around to find the place to put in the feed point... Unfortunately there is nothing here that shows the phase of the signal, at least that I can see. When I get a chance I'll make up some models in 4nec2 which can show both the current and phase data together and post them.

Thanks The DB. Then it clears it up and yes I am aware of the small "out of phase" portion in a 5/8 wave antenna, (though that is not what I understand out of phase to mean as out of phase implies 2 separate waves and I or current is 1 sinus wave) This portion of current at the bottom seems to drag the pattern down or flatten if you like...and produce its gain at a lower angle. At least according to the simplistic explanation I read.

I used the antenna modeling vernacular of phase. In this case, while we talk about the phase and what part of the cycle the current is in, what we are really referring to is the phase of the RF said currents create. The currents of the two halves of a full sine wave, for example, while not out of phase in and of themselves, will create RF that is out of phase with each other. The nec2 modeling software itself uses this same vernacular.

So a full wave dipole can exist after all.

Yes, and they can be made even longer than that. For example, look up the Extended Double Zepp.

That being said, while dipole is technically correct, and many will not bat an eye to its use, there are some that specifically call a center fed half wavelength antenna a "dipole", and everything else a "doublet". Its going back to the vernacular thing I mentioned above. Both terms mean the same thing, its just some people use them differently.

It is still curious that MMANA GAL basic allows an end fed full wave wire to be made and in fact shows a radiation pattern when there should be none.

There is just one other issue though... this is a sine wave representing current alone and a sine wave is 1 wave.. and it must by definition have a + and - side.. how can these different polarities cancel each other if one either lags or foregoes the other in time and space ?... For phase cancellation 2 waves need to be in opposing polarity at the exactly the same place in time and space to cancel.

The reason this happens is the two out of phase currents are on different parts of the antenna, and they are far enough apart to be electrically significant. Look at ladder line for example, or any other open wire feed line. The two wires in said feed lines are almost on top of each other, comparatively speaking. They do a much better job at cancelling out the other wire. But the end fed full wavelength antenna has its currents that try and oppose one another much further apart. They do still have the cancellation effect, but only in certain points of space, namely the points that have the same distance from each half of the antenna, which is broadside to the antenna. As you leave that direction and, in this case, move higher, something else happens. The distance relationship from the two halfs of the antenna to the same point changes, and thus the phase of RF from the two parts of the antenna don't perfectly cancel. If the two points are far enough apart, as they are here, you get a peak radiation at a much higher angle where, instead of canceling, they radiation from the two parts of the antenna actually end up benefitting each other.

So, in a nut shell they cancel in certain directions, and add up in others. All antenna phasing works like this.

In fact, the modeling programs that we use (namely any program that uses MOM, or Method of Moments) does this on a much larger scale. These programs break up the antenna into parts called segments (for these models it wouldn't surprise me if there was more than 100), then calculate the current and phase data for each segment and where the segment is in a 3d space, then uses that data to calculate the antenna's radiation pattern.

The radio rabbit hole is a deep one with many twists and turns.

Yes, and it never ends. I'm still traveling down it myself. It goes much deeper than most people realize.

Going back to an earlier part in your post, kinda off topic but...

Then it clears it up and yes I am aware of the small "out of phase" portion in a 5/8 wave antenna, ***removed some text here*** This portion of current at the bottom seems to drag the pattern down or flatten if you like...and produce its gain at a lower angle. At least according to the simplistic explanation I read.

I think its a bit off topic, but here is a suggestion to try. Model an end fed 5/8 wavelengths antenna in freespace, compare that to and end fed half wavelength antenna also in freespace, and then tell me what you see in regards to the angle of peak gain, if you want you can even post the results here for everyone to see. There is an interesting bit here that most people get exactly wrong about 5/8 wavelength antennas...

The DB

Here are some images for you.

First, the center fed current magnitude by itself. This is close to one of the images you posted above.

[photo=medium]6717[/photo]

Now the phase data for that model.

[photo=medium]6715[/photo]

And finally the two sets of data put together.

[photo=medium]6716[/photo]

Then the same three again for the end fed variant.

Current magnitude only

[photo=medium]6714[/photo]

Phase only

[photo=medium]6712[/photo]

Currents plus phase

[photo=medium]6713[/photo]

I'll let ya mull over this for a bit and see what you come up with.

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?