• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

THE GREEN THING REVISITED

Redbeard U812

WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas
Jul 14, 2018
Yesterday after shopping in our local supermarket, I was in the queue at the Check Out, and heard when the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment. The woman apologized to the young girl & then sighed, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. You folk didn't do enough to save our environment for future generations.”
The older lady said "Ahh, yes, you're right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day." She sighed then continued,
"Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles & beer bottles to the shops. The shops then sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized & refilled, so those same bottles were used over & over, thus REALLY were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery stores put our groceries into brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) were not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books on their brown paper bag/covers. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
I remember how we walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store or office building; walked to the grocery store & didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go 200 yards.
But she was right, we didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind & solar power really did dry our clothes back in our days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right, we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one radio, in the house, not a TV in every room. And if anyone did own a TV, it had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a football pitch. When cooking we blended & stirred by hand coz we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send by post, we used layers of old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right, we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, & we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
Back then, people took the bus & kids rode bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's expensive car or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing".
Oh and we had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest leisure park.
But it so sad this current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then? I think you should forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from some smart ass young person.
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off. Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

All of society has become accustomed to rapid consumption, we would not know how to survive without TV dinners and plastic silverware.. :/

We produce goods not for quality, but quantity, we design and sell devices that SHOULD fail in a set amount of time, because "they" make more money selling you a new one.

Plastic everywhere, it is sickening, and so is all the energy demand for housing that is rapidly replacing the woods I used to play in.. (condos/apartments replacing cattle fields and woods) For more CONSUMERS, YES more face book and netflix; hunting bad, outdoors man bad, fishing bad, video game and HBO good, more entertainment please!!!

Older people are to blame, NOT sales Industrustry and metropolitanism.
All in the name of convenience we have spit in the face of the ecosystem that allowed us life in the first place.

HONK HONK, Welcome to clown world.
Here we don't produce our own goods, we only import.
Here the corporate media lies are pushed as fact, and the public believes.
Welcome to clown world, here we blame individuals for collective greed.

Last edited:
I just love how people like to bemoan the younger generation as if they weren't the ones who raised them.
LC
Actually we did raise our children but then we had to send them to a government school and you could say we could have homeschooled them but many of our parents got by just fine with a 6 grade education and taught us many good useful things we could actually use in our own lives you know Wisdom, how to think critically and actually apply it to our own lives. Today if you don't home school your children they are taught by teachers that are about as far left as you can get and they teach them how stupid the old white men are and how submissive the mothers were to the father and that can't be anymore. The truth is you can try to teach your children but if you send them to a government school you are pissing in the wind. To your point, it may not be the child's fault for thinking we old people are the fault but that is exactly how they are being taught and teachers and schools are a very persuasive powerful tool and not one easy to combat if we can't trust the schools to teach our children what we believe we simply have no choice but to take them out of the schools and do it ourselves not something most parents are capable of doing. There is much I have not touched on with respect to this subject but I have 17 Grandchildren and have followed their progress closely and I can tell you the schools are doing exactly what I have described and much worse. Some of our grandchildren have been very lucky to have gone to schools that teach the things they should but others have indoctrinated into the wonderful world of liberalism and very close to communism! Just saying.

HONK HONK, Welcome to clown world.
th

Nothing quite like government-sanctioned heroin to keep the populace sedated.
Those clinics are supposed to get people off of drugs, but they basically just replace what they used to use on the streets with methadone.

Those clinics and the way they run them are not set up to get people straight, I have heard from personal accounts that people are supposed to wean off on their own accord what the hell kind of help is that for some kind of addict?

LOL I don't want to go into substance abuse because alcohol is one of Mankind's favorite substances and it could also be considered a harmful drug, but please let's just keep cannabis illegal on a federal level you know we don't want any crazy people running around after they smoked a doobie.

Last edited:
Want to mess with ANYONE under fifty, “threaten” their access to electricity.

Sure, I’ve had it my whole life, but it’s been an eye-opener to me that, when camping, even far from the grid, the amazing amount they’ll spend to have electricity on demand.

In a discussion on RVs I pointed out that it is the propane system that makes them possible. Boat, trailer, whatever. A neck & neck race with the fresh water system as to importance. With those two one can boil water, cook, warm & dry that mobile shelter, have hot water to clean with, and provide lighting. What’s needed. A terrific amount of energy in those gas bottles.

But, nope, can’t be without Dish TV

Or

INTERNET!!

When I say “threat”, I mean it. To the post war generations it’s a right.

Damned funny on one hand.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Been through many hurricanes along the Gulf Coast, it always amazes me how grown individuals react when the "conveniences" are gone. Guess I was one of the blessed who learned things only rednecks could when camped out on the weekends. We used to do over night down river trips almost every weekend during the summer months when I was young. I learned more "skills" on those trips than I did in Scouts. I remember my Scout Master saying "Where did you learn that?" many times. Even went on a trip into the vast wilderness 125 miles north of Long Lac, Ontario once with grampa and my Dad's old Scout Master. The latter, Mr. Briner, was no longer in Scouting but enjoyed taking groups to Canada.

Mr. Briner had commented as to how I seemed accustomed and content to be in the woods, and how I knew the things that needed to be done through out the day. Wasn't very popular with the other boys. I was the redneck kid from Alabama thrown in with a bunch of Ohio suburbanites. We foraged wood, started fire (yes, with sticks......but I cheated...made a bow and notched wood base), cooked, fished, and told big entertaining lies.

I still use those skills today. Todays generation seems to know nothing about life outside. So it's always entertaining to watch people when SHTF with natural disasters. Some just know what to do, older generation, and some stand there waiting for disaster relief to come bail them out. Fortunately, I must have been blessed and grew up in a time when Moma told us "Don't come home until the street lights come on!". We didn't have any, so we were always still out in the woods bumping into trees having sling shot wars. Yes, we were heathens. But we are better for it.

The state of Kentucky has sued the makers of opiate pain killers for the addiction problem they have here. What's next, suing the Auto Makers for drunk driving? Of course they would never sue the makers of alcohol or Bourbon in Kentucky because it is socially acceptable.

Nothing quite like government-sanctioned heroin to keep the populace sedated.
Those clinics are supposed to get people off of drugs, but they basically just replace what they used to use on the streets with methadone.

Those clinics and the way they run them are not set up to get people straight, I have heard from personal accounts that people are supposed to wean off on their own accord what the hell kind of help is that for some kind of addict?

LOL I don't want to go into substance abuse because alcohol is one of Mankind's favorite substances and it could also be considered a harmful drug, but please let's just keep cannabis illegal on a federal level you know we don't want any crazy people running around after they smoked a doobie.
The people on Methadone are not breaking in to houses to get their next dose, or committing other crimes to finance the habit.

Reactions: LeapFrog
You should look into the Sackler family more closely. Falsified testing, bribes to physicians, re-classification of pharma types, etc.

Profit via murder. Pure & simple.

See RON UNZ long article on the US death rate during the era of VIOXX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.