• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new 2970N2 radio ?..

power

If i remember correctly it pulls up to 50 amps.

I just run my as mobile though for SSB and love it !!

If it's correctly tuned, it should draw 32 amps. If it's pulling much more than that, then it's been tuned by a moron and it will go poof, sooner than it should.

Reactions: 4 people
The manual states that with a stock 2970 you need at least a 30 amp power supply (continuous), duster is exactly right. I would not mess with the radio goes as far as power is concerned. They will do 200 watts on ssb right out of the box. You won't see any gain by cranking the power up more as it takes roughly 3-4 times the power to make a 1 s-unit increase. If you can't make contacts with 200 watts on ssb, you probably need to upgrade your antenna system. JMO.

Reactions: 3 people
I wish more people understood this.

4W/12W/25W increase to 100W is definitely worth it. Very little money, not a lot of additional work needs to be done but there's a big noticeable increase.

100W increase to 400W is getting less so especially for a mobile install where the work involved & $$$ involved to benefit ratio drops massively. You need to do some serious cabling, some serious bonding, start to have to use seriously expensive coax as you reach the limits of what the smaller stuff will do and you're really past the point of using magmounts.

From 400W then unless you're going up to at least 1.5kW you're just throwing away your money.

Reactions: 4 people
10-4, good info there guys....

Im doing some research of that N2 radio, looking for something that's clean...
From what Ive read these seems to be a nice radio, from what Ive heard there not as loud as other radios on AM, but makes up for it on the SSB...

How does this radio do straight out of the box ?....

This radio has to be converted to be used on the 11m band don't it ?

Oatmeal, I think this rig is a good choice. I have never owned one, but have talked to several guys running them via DX. The ones that sounded great all had a moderate tune, or just an alignment and no adjustment to output. I've said this before in other N2 threads... two guys that were running them that come to mind were one that ran a D104, and the other ran a Turner Super Sidekick. Both of these guys sounded great, and their audio was very crisp, clear, and clean. They reported good audio on AM too, but SSB was their main mode of operation.

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
The 2970N2 with a good alignment, by a good tech, and maybe a very mild tune. I would try to leave it as close to stock if possible IMO, the radio will last longer, and yes they are good ssb radios. Have talked to and heard a few on 38lsb, all sounded good. Doug's custom cb is a good place to get one IMO, but do find a good tech and not some golden screw driver truck stop dosy meter using only shop do any work on it. Again JMO. They are good radios for what they are. 200 watts is plenty for ssb dx'ing. It's all in the antenna system and then the other thing is Mother Nature. God bless.

359, no going to get with my friend tomorrow and get the hinge plate welded up........hoping how soon the weather warms up here and the ground dries out so I can dig the hole and get this going.....cant wait to get the beam in the air..

Ill run this Cobra 2000 for a little bit, and doing the research on those N2 radios....yep, I see a new radio in the future...

So, yep, looking for a radio that will be clean....like the N2 radio, not sure what else is out there that will or can be used on 10-11m bands...

You had a 2995, it's the same thing in essence. If I remember, the 2995 is a single final board driving 8 fets, and the N2 is a dual final board driving 8 fets.

I thought you were buying a 2 pill for the Cobra2k?

Yep, I had a 2995dx, but had to sell it and the big amp when I was laid off, that was something I didn't see coming...

But for the record, my 2995dx didn't perform like it should have, least I didn't think it did...all it would swing was 175 watts...and it didn't drive my 4 pill as well as I was told it would...

But this don't have anything to do with my looking at a N2 radio....just looking for a clean radio to run on a beam setup and not need a amp...

The 2 pill, I was going to get me a 2 pill and run with my Cobra 2000, love to have one, but going to wait and see what happens with the beam and go from there.....may just scratch the 2 pill and look for a radio...

But for the record, my 2995dx didn't perform like it should have, least I didn't think it did...all it would swing was 175 watts...and it didn't drive my 4 pill as well as I was told it would...
175 watts is about what they do and is way too much for a 4 pill. If you're just looking for a clean couple hondo, either of those radios will work. I've had them both.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.