• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

the new Copper forum?

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
I realize that the thread about freecell got way off track and can see why it was closed, but i do believe some good points were raised that deserve some attention.

that is the purpose of this thread, to discuss these points out in the open.

First of all, internet forums have dual personalities.
first, there is the focus of the forum, be it cars, radios, or antique vases.
second, there is the reputation of the forum, meaning that different forums on the same subject will appeal to different people, depending on what they are looking for in an internet forum. This forum is just not the place for newbies who dont like being told they are wrong. there are plenty of radio forums that will coddle them and tell them they are right when they are not.
People who see past the BS will not stay in a place like that for long, and will eventually gravitate toward a place like this.
What happens when that objectivity is no longer being praised, and actually starts getting punished? You guessed it; they move on.

I came here about 4 years ago from the Copper electronics forum because the moderator there had an agenda that involved plugging certain products that Copper sold and he would delete your post if you challenged him on his findings in his "reviews".

i got sick of typing up an involved response challenging his findings based upon facts and solid radio theory only to come back that next day and find it gone, along with a private message to me that i'd better watch my P's and Q's.

When i came here, it was like a breath of fresh air. People asked questions about certain products or practices and were given an honest response, whether it was what the OP wanted to hear or not.

The radio hobby is fraught with myths and misinformation.
only when forum members are free to work through an issue without fear of being censored will these myths be dispelled.

In that vein; i offer my personal opinion on the subject of the "reviews" being posted by our newest moderator.

Robb, you are not technically experienced enough to offer anything of real value in your reviews to the members of this forum.

All you are doing is regurgitating the manufacturer's claims and offering an "all the knobs and buttons work" type of review, and that really isnt going to sway anyone's opinion of a product if they have been in this hobby for any length of time.

what is the point of that?
exactly which radios arent "clean and clear" when tuned up by a competent tech?

again, i am only talking about THIS forum. other forums may eat that stuff up, but here, people listen to what they are taught because they know the REPUTATION of the info given out here.

they know they will get the straight facts because the people here that offer technical assistance are not here to sell products.

your reviews taint that credibility because you are not experienced enough to really get into the nitty gritty details of the differences between one radio and another, instead all we get is, "i used it in my mobile and people said i sounded good."

who cares what your buddies think of a certain radio or antenna?
In this forum, we like to debate the relative merits of this product or that product by weighing manufacturers' claims against solid radio theory.

if you think that people can accept someone's opinion of a product as objective when they were given the product for free; you are fooling yourself.
why do you think the FTC makes reviewers state that the item was given for free??? because it affects the opinion of the reader on the objectivity of the reviewer.

i do not begrudge you the opportunity to obtain products for review and post those reviews online. i think that is fine. i am saying that this is not the place for that in my opinion, and that it has a negative effect on the reputation this forum has built over the years.

these are my personal opinions and i would like to know who agrees with me and who disagrees.
this is a volatile subject and it is not my intention to offend anyone.

i do not want this thread to be locked, so please keep it civil and on point.
LC

Reactions: GLR and mrgumby

I closed the thread due to the fact it had gotten off track period....there is already a dissing match about the review in another thread. Take it there.

As far as being a "New Copper Forum" I seriously doubt it and so do you.

If you noticed ... I locked it and didn't delete it..

I've expressed my concerns via pm and in other threads so I will not go into that here but in my opinion, loosecannon is correct.

Will this do?

Attachments

• easy-button.jpg
    easy-button.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 318
I want to make one point and then I will stay out of this. I appreciate that someone(Robb) has taken some time to review an item, but I question the validity of said review when that someone is paid to do a review. (That is what is happening when someone is given a piece of equipment to review and then to keep.) Who is going to badmouth any free equipment? Not me. Most reviewers are only loaned a piece of equipment, be it a car, truck, radio, etc... for a length of time, to test, review and then return the item. Some are even loaned multiple times, and then destroyed.( Most vehicles) I applaud Robb for finding a legal way to get free equipment, though. That is the true spirit of free enterprise, as is the manufacturers idea to get cheap advertisement for his product. I want this in no way to be looked at as a judgment of any kind, just an observation.(y)

PR

I have not been here that long but for what it's worth. I wanted to get my Tech. license. I have been around the 11 meters since 1973. But lately since i have seen more crying and whining ?? Thank you but no thanks. I figure if i see some Ham operators acting like this ?? Then i could only imagine what i may hear on 10 meters, and i can hear the same ol B.S. on 27.185 Go figure and i am starting to get the feeling that this forum is mainly for ham operators. If so then why even discuss anything about 11 meters. JMHO Let alone putting someone down for using his time not yours for doing a review. WOW.

I realize that the thread about freecell got way off track and can see why it was closed, but i do believe some good points were raised that deserve some attention.

that is the purpose of this thread, to discuss these points out in the open.

First of all, internet forums have dual personalities.
first, there is the focus of the forum, be it cars, radios, or antique vases.
second, there is the reputation of the forum, meaning that different forums on the same subject will appeal to different people, depending on what they are looking for in an internet forum. This forum is just not the place for newbies who dont like being told they are wrong. there are plenty of radio forums that will coddle them and tell them they are right when they are not.
People who see past the BS will not stay in a place like that for long, and will eventually gravitate toward a place like this.
What happens when that objectivity is no longer being praised, and actually starts getting punished? You guessed it; they move on.

I came here about 4 years ago from the Copper electronics forum because the moderator there had an agenda that involved plugging certain products that Copper sold and he would delete your post if you challenged him on his findings in his "reviews".

i got sick of typing up an involved response challenging his findings based upon facts and solid radio theory only to come back that next day and find it gone, along with a private message to me that i'd better watch my P's and Q's.

When i came here, it was like a breath of fresh air. People asked questions about certain products or practices and were given an honest response, whether it was what the OP wanted to hear or not.

The radio hobby is fraught with myths and misinformation.
only when forum members are free to work through an issue without fear of being censored will these myths be dispelled.

In that vein; i offer my personal opinion on the subject of the "reviews" being posted by our newest moderator.

Robb, you are not technically experienced enough to offer anything of real value in your reviews to the members of this forum.

All you are doing is regurgitating the manufacturer's claims and offering an "all the knobs and buttons work" type of review, and that really isnt going to sway anyone's opinion of a product if they have been in this hobby for any length of time.

what is the point of that?
exactly which radios arent "clean and clear" when tuned up by a competent tech?

again, i am only talking about THIS forum. other forums may eat that stuff up, but here, people listen to what they are taught because they know the REPUTATION of the info given out here.

they know they will get the straight facts because the people here that offer technical assistance are not here to sell products.

your reviews taint that credibility because you are not experienced enough to really get into the nitty gritty details of the differences between one radio and another, instead all we get is, "i used it in my mobile and people said i sounded good."

who cares what your buddies think of a certain radio or antenna?
In this forum, we like to debate the relative merits of this product or that product by weighing manufacturers' claims against solid radio theory.

if you think that people can accept someone's opinion of a product as objective when they were given the product for free; you are fooling yourself.
why do you think the FTC makes reviewers state that the item was given for free??? because it affects the opinion of the reader on the objectivity of the reviewer.

i do not begrudge you the opportunity to obtain products for review and post those reviews online. i think that is fine. i am saying that this is not the place for that in my opinion, and that it has a negative effect on the reputation this forum has built over the years.

these are my personal opinions and i would like to know who agrees with me and who disagrees.
this is a volatile subject and it is not my intention to offend anyone.

i do not want this thread to be locked, so please keep it civil and on point.
LC

I agree with all points. No sour grapes, I am not an export or Magnum radio hater, I am not down on 11 meters, or people who straddle both hobbies, etc. But this whole thing is just too reminiscent of the shady stuff that 808 did at Copper. The authority that is added by the moderator status only amplifies the discomfort that so many clearly feel.

I also think that Sam is somewhat to blame for this. He could feed Robb the real technical details about what exactly the RX in his models has going for it that Galaxy, RCI, Cobra, etc supposedly don't.

He could tell us all once and for all that, yes, the boards in his radios ARE very close copies of the EPT-3600 board that has been so ubiquitous in exports for so long, and then tell us exactly what improvements he has made to the RF sections (not the stupid toys, I mean the part of the radio that actually recieves and transmits communications) of the radios that make them better. We can handle the truth. But mumbo jumbo like dynamic range to explain why 1 watt swinging 60 is desireable, or "CPU controlled AM, FM, and SSB", and other nonsense is just clowning around for no good effect.

We already know that Robb will happily repeat anything Sam tells him, so why doesn't Sam feed him real info? Or, better yet, come on here and face the unwashed masses himself like Ray used to do?

I have not been here that long but for what it's worth. I wanted to get my Tech. license. I have been around the 11 meters since 1973. But lately since i have seen more crying and whining ?? Thank you but no thanks. I figure if i see some Ham operators acting like this ?? Then i could only imagine what i may hear on 10 meters, and i can hear the same ol B.S. on 27.185 Go figure and

You are making ridiculous assumptions rather than seeking the facts. Get your tech license, they basically just hand them out for being able to make it to the exam. What you will find on the bands available to you as a tech will be nothing like what you will find on 10 or 11 meters. It's harder to be an ass when the guy you are mouthing off to is three blocks away and your name and address are easily available.

i am starting to get the feeling that this forum is mainly for ham operators. If so then why even discuss anything about 11 meters. JMHO Let alone putting someone down for using his time not yours for doing a review. WOW.

I'm getting the feeling you haven't been paying attention.

True. Internet forums about radio are NOTHING like actual on the air hamming. If they were, I'd have left the hobby years ago. 10 meters is a wonderful band with very friendly ops.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.