• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new Radio Shack???

packrat

Sep 24, 2008
S.W. Florida
I have been into the radio shack store in the next town a few times recently, and have been pleasantly surprised to find that they have TWO large double cabinets of electrical components and are even selling mobile cb radios and antennas again. Just wanted to let everyone know. Not quite like the olden days of yore, but there may be some hope yet.

really, they clearenced those out at my stores a few years ago. i raided there bins pretty hard. cant wait to do it again!

I am headed over there right noe to get some electrolytics and 1/2 watt resisters. I was pleasantly surprised. The cashier even knew what I was talking about.

My local RS also has those double sided cabinets with various resistors,switches,diodes and capacitors and other odds and ends, oh and a small assortment of relays but no such thing as the most popular cb radios even though they do carry a fair selection of cb antennas and accessories.

My local radio shack has none of the above although they do stock several televisions and have an outstanding special on a police megaphone.

Total antennas seen = zero.

My "area" RS stores are pitifully:sad:

For the most part they push cell phones and basic supplies like solder and tape.

I don't know how they stay in business.

Theres a few stores out here that still sport the parts bins along with scanners and CB radios with an antenna section for both CB and scanner radios along with all the connectors. Ironically I was at a bigger store in a mall lastnight in Fodulac Wisconsin and I had said to the guy that I was surprised to see the parts bins and he explained that it all depends if its a (franchise) or (Corperate) store. ;)

The rat shack stores here in indy are pretty bad also but I hit the store in my dads home town of crossville tenn. a while back and was shocked. I found cobras and even a galaxy or two along side the radioshack radios. I was looking for a pl259 and a soldering iron and found no less than 8 different irons to choose from, and 3 different brands of pl259's. Did I mention that the guy who owns it is a ham??? LOL

. . . he explained that it all depends if its a (franchise) or (Corperate) store. ;)

Exactly. The franchisees can equip the stores in whatever manner they wish after they satisfy the corporate requirements.
The old motto - You've got questions, we've got answers - never applied to my experience when I traveled around the country visiting stores everywhere. I could have been speaking a foreign language given the blank stares any question got me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.