• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The perils of web "surfing"

mechanic

Mar 4, 2009
North coast of the USA.... Da UP!
I have been using computers for many years, I go back to the days of the Commodore 64 with the 1200 baud modem and dial-up BBSs! Fun stuff in those days!!
Then in the early 90s the Internet took off and the old days passed into the museums.... With this new fangled Internet information and communication seemed make it so much easier and I considered it a bonus to my main hobbies of CB and amateur radio, not to mention my real job and other real world ventures!
Along with the good comes the bad.... In the last few years there are what I call cannibals and headhunters and not to find a job but to look for money on the Internet. The people have employed software wizards ^can not stand it^ who write programs for businesses that track your doings and deals on the Internet.
For example I did a search on a subject I was told about, not from the WEB or Internet and that search has "exposed" my Internet activities so that now I get all sorts of pop-ups and SPAM leading me to this subject of inquiry!
My present computer just goes "nuts" with all this injection of JAVA script! :sneaky2:

I wonder just how much all that you do on the "NET" leads these "scalpers" to you?

73 Rod

Reactions: 1 person

You don't know the half of it.

I downloaded Collusion a Firefox add-on to one of my PC's.

What a riot!
Not only are sites tracking you, they share info.

I had Collusion running on one tab while I browsed on another.

The graphic map of visited sites and how they interconnect builds as they share your online adventures.

If you have Firefox check it out.

Yes it is. I only use FF to login to my home radio forum and Chrome for everything else. I had to disable private browsing to test Collusion just to see what it would display and went to Google news and started reading news links for a test.
That is a wicked graph that it just keeps on and on adding to with every new link you click.

Shared your post at home forum and on G+.

Outstanding find!

Thanks.

No problem, but I think google has cottoned on to that site because when I search on it I get far less search results than on google. but there are many other search engines to try also such as duckduckgo.com yandex.com, yahoo.com altavista metacrawler.
Sadly i often have to go back to google because they have results no other company can show and when you read up to 600 search results on each site for something that's hard to find you can see the difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.