• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Search for the Perfect Antenna . . .

About to close on our slice of heaven. 2 acres bordering a wheat field on the south. The owner promised not to plow when the wind is out of the north. (y)
Land is so flat, can see forever in every direction. Nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away. :)
Finally, no more 10-40 end fed. :D Now I'll have room for the 10-160 meter version!!! :ROFLMAO: Can't wait to get it ordered!

Decided against the slice of heaven.
Too many bugs and snakes. :eek:
And with all the chemicals the farmer had been using in his fields for forty years I was a little worried about the soil. :unsure: The plot wasn't actually bordering the field, it was in it.
Guess I'll stick with city life a while longer. :(

Ummm....Hello ? Bugs and snakes and coyotes and wild animals and vermin live in the country, city too, but more prevalent out yonder. It's part of it. One day you will have to pry yourself away from the next door Walmart.

Those chemicals in the field wont hurt you, they have not seeped into the water supply. I live around cotton fields and all that cotton defoliant annually hasn't affected me.

Excuse me, I'm late for my Hair Club for Men appointment.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: Riverman
Finally got some decent weather and put up my 10-20-40 end fed.
Matchbox is @ 20' sloping to 6' at other end. SWR's are:

2.2@ 7.125
1.8@ 7.150
1.5@7.200
1.8@7.250
2.3@7.300

1.2@14.150
1.2@14.200
1.2@14.250
1.3@14.300
1.4@14.350

1.2@28.200
1.2@28.300
1.3@28.400
1.4@28.500
1.5@28.600

Am sure the 40 meter portion would be better if it were higher.
Very happy with it. :)

Spoke a little soon. My battery operated lighted call sign display comes on when I key the mic! o_O And touching the equipment affects the SWR. :unsure: Never had CMC that I could tell with end feds in my attic or low to the ground strung from tree to fence, but now that I have one up and in the clear, the gremlin rears its ugly head. But with my current back pain, don't feel like messing with it.

raw

Riverman, I'm not as smart as most of these guys here, but maybe a ground issue? So many times my SWR would go high, even erratically, and sporadically, I hope to be grammatically correct.....that only after I got system grounded correctly did the numbers subside and stabilize.

Rush may be right.....coil some coax. See if that makes a difference. Come to think of it, when I was cutting the grass I had made a loop (3~4 foot) in my BuryFlex to get it out of the way and hung it up. Did notice a drop in swr, not much, but went from 1.3/1 to 1.1/1.

Riverman, I'm not as smart as most of these guys here, but maybe a ground issue? So many times my SWR would go high, even erratically, and sporadically, I hope to be grammatically correct.....that only after I got system grounded correctly did the numbers subside and stabilize.

Could be. Transceiver is not grounded.

I figure that was my problem. I went all out. Multiple grounds. Ground rods. Went to Breaker box added a ground wire and extra ground rod. Broke out some Borax, Ajax, and Comet......

I didn't want to drill another hole in my wall of my house.
Probably won't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.