• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Search for the Perfect Antenna . . .

It's all good. Take your time and do lots of research for what you need for your particular application. I know the wire is not the best, but lots of folks use them, and they work. For me it was easy, cuz I'm an old man, and setting this thing up wasn't that difficult. Oh I would love to have a 100ft tower with a beam the size of my house, but hey I know that will never happen.
The main thing is getting your antenna up, and getting on the air. It's a hobby, but some take it way to serious at times. I'm no exception, and I have to remind myself of that. Just get out there and enjoy.
I had fun today talking with an old guy who was 86, Korean war Vet, and was very interesting. He was 50 miles north of Klamath falls Oregon. Not far from my hometown in Calif. I'm in TN, so it was nice talking with somebody out there. Enjoy it Brother. 73 de Tom

Agree. (y)
Agree. (y)
Agree. (y)
Cool! :D

73 from Jim

Reactions: Tallman
Jim: Just a thought, and I think we have been here before.
Let's combine cost, including shipping and General frustration levels;)...
Your EF + Spiral + Mag Loop and now your most resent purchase.
I am thinking your very near cost(if not already exceeded) the point where one of these may have been the answer.
The yard work and cosmetics are best done late winter/early spring and by Early/ mid-summer everything looks as if it never happened.
The other plus you have been on the air for months!
Good Luck on your endeavors.(y)
All the Best
Gary

https://zerofive-antennas.com/product-category/flagpole-antennas

Jim: Let's combine cost, including shipping and General frustration levels ... ;)

Gary, shhhh! I'll be a laughing stock. :( (By the way, you forgot the Alexloop.) :ROFLMAO:. Which, by the way, was my favorite. The manual tuning just wasn't a good fit for wind, rain, sleet, snow, or blazing heat. :D

All is not lost on these ventures. Remember, homemade and store-bought compromise antennas are a hobby of mine much like golf used to be. And we all know how frustrating that game is. But people keep playing and trying out new clubs. :p

Anyway, I have a clean slate now as I salvaged the hardware I wanted and hacksawed the rest of the cobweb. :whistle:

Moving on . . .

Zero Five Antennas is a favorite sight of mine. Can't say I've ever looked at their flagpole models you suggested. (n)
Believe I will. (y)

Later,
Jim

A tad off topic, but how's your new Kenwood working out for You? Notice that there wasn't a mention of the evil End something or other.
:- )>

:ROFLMAO: Nope. I don't go through radios like antennas. :D

LOVE my 590SG!
Great receiver. Great noise filtering. All the basics and more are controlled with buttons or dials. Can't remember when I was last in the menu. With the processor and mic gain set according to the manual, I get great audio reports using the stock mic. Was talking to a fella in California the other day (I'm in Texas) and he asked, "That a Kenwood you're talkin' on?" I said, "Yes. How'd you know?" He replied, "There's no mistaking Kenwood's great audio." Pretty cool.
Quite a few of the contacts I've made were also using a 590SG or 590S. The large majority though are using the Icom 7300. And they all sound great, too.
I looked at it, the Yaesu 1200 and 3000, and settled on the Kenwood. Am glad I did. It's a perfect fit for me. (y)

LOVE my 590SG!
Great receiver. Great noise filtering. All the basics and more are controlled with buttons or dials. Can't remember when I was last in the menu. With the processor and mic gain set according to the manual, I get great audio reports using the stock mic. Was talking to a fella in California the other day (I'm in Texas) and he asked, "That a Kenwood you're talkin' on?" I said, "Yes. How'd you know?" He replied, "There's no mistaking Kenwood's great audio." Pretty cool.
Quite a few of the contacts I've made were also using a 590SG or 590S. The large majority though are using the Icom 7300. And they all sound great, too.
I looked at it, the Yaesu 1200 and 3000, and settled on the Kenwood. Am glad I did. It's a perfect fit for me. (y)

Believe it or not, I heard that exact conversation a couple of days ago. Dang I wish I would have known that was you (if it was). Fine Business.

(y)

LOVE my 590SG!
I looked at it, the Yaesu 1200 and 3000, and settled on the Kenwood. Am glad I did. It's a perfect fit for me.
nice when a plan comes together. (y)

My search for the perfect antenna is over.
Didn't find it. Knew I wouldn't. Am weary from the search.
At my location, an end fed is simply the best choice for me.
I have had great success with my LNR Precision 10-20-40 in both my attic and back yard. The only con was it could only handle 25 watts. Today I ordered this from HyEndFed.com:

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna...ail/149/HyEndFed_3_Band_100_Watt_Classic#main

I chose it because the LNR models don't have built-in strain relief and and because HyEndFed is more forthcoming in sharing SWR data than MyAntennas.com who only provide single reading for each band. And, from the photos, I believe HyEndFed to be of the highest quality of the three. That said, I doubt if there much difference in performance between the three.

There you have it. End of story.
Until I move to the boondocks.

Last edited:
At my location, an end fed is simply the best choice for me. Today I ordered one from HyEndFed.com.

Got it! :)
And along with it, 100% chance of thunderstorms. o_O

IMG_0468.JPG

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.