• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This is your wattmeter on lightning.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Late October isn't heavy lightning season in eastern KY, but it only took one loud "CRACK!" for this customer's antenna.

At first glance it appears that only the plastic window is gone from his Dosy TC4002SW, but notice how the top cover is bowed upwards, making the backdrop visible through the gap.

YqSaHg.jpg

A look from above shows the rear panel bowed outwards, as well.

rrWWQI.jpg

The rear panel hints at what you'll find inside.

Mxghgv.jpg

The antenna-selector switch is discombobulated. The SO-239 at the lower-right is the Horizontal socket.

Xhz5o9.jpg

8QdfEb.jpg

The radio socket popped the center pin out of the socket body. The coax braid that was soldered to bond the coax sockets' grounds to each other is no longer soldered to the inside edge. Looks as if the solder vaporized and blew the braid away from the socket.

Sf6yaA.jpg

Just goes to show that unplugging the coax is the only sure-fire surge preventer.

Last edited:

Nasty stuff. I remember walking into one of my AM transmitter sites one day on a regular routine maintenance run and smelling the unmistakable smell of brimstone. At first glance the TX looked fine, meter readings were normal and then I opened the front door. At the top of the inner panel was an RF Line Current meter monitoring the power output. It was in a heavy Bakelite case and was completely blackened with little wisps of yellow and whitish-gray indicating severe burning. Lightning had struck the antenna system at some point since my last visit and fortunately it had fused the meter guts rather than blowing open and the TX stayed on the air. It probably tripped the overloads but there was an automatic restoration unit installed so it simply cycled and brought the TX back on the air. Thank God for tubes versus solid state.

Mother Nature, radio operators worst nightmare or best friend. I've got at least two locals that have lost equipment from lightning. I've seen arrestors for sale for coax and power cords. I'm a unplugger, posts like this should teach the novice operators to religiously unplug. Thanks for the info. Merry merry, happy happy! Got down

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Late October isn't heavy lightning season in eastern KY, but it only took one loud "CRACK!" for this customer's antenna.

At first glance it appears that only the plastic window is gone from his Dosy TC4002SW, but notice how the top cover is bowed upwards, making the backdrop visible through the gap.

YqSaHg.jpg

A look from above shows the rear panel bowed outwards, as well.

rrWWQI.jpg

The rear panel hints at what you'll find inside.

Mxghgv.jpg

The band switch is discombobulated. The SO-239 at the lower-right is the Horizontal socket.

Xhz5o9.jpg

8QdfEb.jpg

The radio socket popped the center pin out of the socket body. The coax braid that was soldered to bond the coax sockets' grounds to each other is no longer soldered to the inside edge. Looks as if the solder vaporized and blew the braid away from the socket.

Sf6yaA.jpg

Just goes to show that unplugging the coax is the only sure-fire surge preventer.

That really is a Doozy. Haha. See what I did there?

Definitely too early. I don’t drink it anyway, can’t stand the taste. Like the smell. Hate the taste.

Imagine sitting there in front of it and that happening. Bet that’d get your attention.

September thru early December is the rainy season in Colombia. Usually huge thunderstorms that last several hours every night.

A few weeks ago, we were sitting on the back porch drinking rum and coke when we began to hear loud thunder in the distance. A thunderstorm with much lightning was happening on the other side of the mountains (about 40 kms away.)

Check it out. Must have been one hell of a storm over there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?