• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tilt base project getting under way .......

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
Just waiting on a stretch of decent weather to drill the holes!

tower_parts.jpg

Yeah I will Homer. The weather is going to be the biggest issue. It' fairly flat where I'm sticking it, but kinda steep getting there, so the mud will hamper getting the anchor pole and concrete mixer up there.

I'm not seeing rain for the next 6 days, so it should dry out some this week.

The 4 element quad that's been laying around here for what seems like forever.

This project always gets put on the back burner for a more pressing issues it seems, or maybe I just haven't been that dedicated to it, but not this time. Everytime my wife says "we need to ...", I say "after I ...", so it's going up this time :LOL:

I took the tower and a 3 element yagi down to have timber cut and I've either had to play on a temporarily installed omni or mobile ever since. But this time there will be no climbing, so the plan is to stand 80'. I'm going to do 60' first I think, see how it goes with just the mast and rotor, but it looks good on paper so we'll see.

I'v got 600' of Dacron sitting here. I'll start out with 2 per corner, but probably end up with 3 per corner.

LOL, don't take this wrong, but that link is pretty entertaining.

Having done trig/geometry almost daily for 20 years, reading HAMs tell each other how to solve a basic traingle with my morning coffee was a little comical to say the least :D

The last poster in that thread sounds like he has his head on right though (y)

LOL, I did.

The last poster's rule of thumb has his guys at 55* and Rohn uses anything from 47.5*-49* in the range of 40' to 80' on the top guy. So I figure anything in the 50* range will suffice without having a gigantic foot print.

One corner of the tower will be permanently guyed to the utility pole, so I will be trying to mimic those angles as well.

cool project 359.

not sure what the aircraft cable is for, but if you are not using a real NICO press tool to make up the ends, always remember the rule, "never saddle a dead horse."

meaning, dont put the saddle of the crosby clip on the stubby side, AKA the dead end, put it on the working side.

torque specs are important, and nylock nuts are your friends.

you probably already know some if not all of this, but i thought id put it up anyway for others who might not.
LC

Well, those 6 days of dry weather turned into 2! But I did get the pole and got it ready today.

Good tips LC, I bought the clip kits with the cable along with the thimbles. The cable is for guying the pole.

poledrilled.jpg

poledrilled_2.jpg

........... so I'm mulling this over in my head and suddenly the thought entered my mind that I would walk outside tomorrow to a split utility pole! I like the way the "eye" seats into the wood adding to bending strength, but it occurred to me that the eye running parallel to the grain was a bad thing. So I added washers making it only compression that the pole sees.

poledrilled_3.jpg

looks like you had a rain shower come through, but the project is taking shape. good luck, keep the pics coming if you can.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.