• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tilt base project getting under way .......

da93d9e0.jpg

There is actually 2 additional projects in this pic, the shelter for the horses and all the clean up from having it logged out. Clearing 13 acres for pasture is work, no matter how you look at it, and sometimes it feels like it'll never be complete.

shed.jpg

Yep very hard work, I feel for you man. And it never will 15 years from now youll walk thru and still step on a stump or something. I love what you are doing. Keep up the hard work!! (y)

Yep very hard work, I feel for you man. And it never will 15 years from now youll walk thru and still step on a stump or something. I love what you are doing. Keep up the hard work!! (y)

Yeah, I hear ya. I've had to go back and cut just about every stump to get them low enough for the bushhog. While I was at it, I "X"ed them with the chain and dropped some rock salt in the X. The daggon things will try to come back for years.

I have a new respect for early settlers who had no power equipment, that's for sure.

Clearing 13 acres, that is work, I cleared 5 acres 22 years ago her in N. Central FL. I used stump rot, some product that pour on the stumps and they rot. Drilled into them with a wood bit and just poured the liquid into the stump.

Looking good on the acreage cleared.

I may check into that if the salt doesn't work wavrider, the rock salt is just an old time deal I've always heard of. I'm really more concerned with the stumps growing new shoots than rotting them out, that old oak is gonna take a few years to rot no matter. I've seen people drill them up and pour used motor oil in them, but that wouldn't be so GREEN, lol. Back when I was a kid, Dad cleared a few acres of his property to build a house and he just left the stupms tall enough to doze over, but that takes bigger equipment than I had access too.

yea to get rid of stumps we used dynamite ... :whistle:

umm but nowadays prolly wind up in jail :eek:

If you could get your hands on some Lye that might help.

Hey!!! You aint't using Rock salt cause you believe in those myths are ya? :LOL:

I remember when I was young, pre teen helping my grandpa and uncle's clear some property on the farm ( I doubt if I helped got in the way is more like it).

Grandpa used dynamite to blow the big oak stumps. Do not know if it can even be purchased without a license nowadays.

Grandpa used dynamite to blow the big oak stumps. Do not know if it can even be purchased without a license nowadays.

I doubt it, but it used to be a really common and effective way to clear stumps. My Grandpas place was already cleared and farmable, but I remember his neighbors blowing stumps.

I don't have a team, but I'd like to have one some day. We've got a friend who does "thinning" jobs with a team of Belgians, they leave a lot lighter foot print than a skidder or dozer.

Well, I haven't been doing too good at taking pics since I'm only getting an hour or 2 in at a time between the unseasonably wet year, other projects and work. But since the wife has to work Sat/Sun we aren't saddling horses and icing saddle bags until Monday the 4th, I thought I'd take advantage of the dry weather and give it a test run yesterday. I'm putting the antenna together today, but it'll be next weekend at least before I finally get it tuned and up.

I was extremely satisfied with the operation of it and the angle of the guys seem to match up nicely. I'm going to put a plumb bob on it since I have the typical guys on 2 sides, and a pulley system on the 3rd which makes it virtually impossible to match tension all the way around.

ac346344.jpg

b15bc524.jpg

Well, it' done finally. Between the weather, work and other priorities, I liked to never have finished it. The antenna is up @ 65-70' to the boom and direct feed 50 ohm. I like the construction of the antenna, but it's a good thing I made the tower tilt because I destroyed the coax about 40' from the antenna(don't ask), so it'll have to be replaced already before I can play it.

950bbcae.jpg

c298f892.jpg

33f5d796.jpg

4053856d.jpg

that is looking awesome...10-8 for sure, soon as you fix the coax.

Don't worry I never get it done right the first time. Murphy's law for sure.

being humbled by your project will only make you appreciate it more when its doing what you want it to do :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.