• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Time is now to revive CB Radio

Going to take the family to the beach in MD for a week in July. My brother will be coming out from Los Angeles, I plan on putting a cb base up in the beach house. My brother has expressed interest in cb before, so if he is still interested, the setup will be going home with him in his suitcase.

If he goes back to LA with the radio maybe I will catch him on the air one day!

Going to take the family to the beach in MD for a week in July. My brother will be coming out from Los Angeles, I plan on putting a cb base up in the beach house. My brother has expressed interest in cb before, so if he is still interested, the setup will be going home with him in his suitcase.

I’m still (drag-ass slow) putting together a pair of rigs for my son. The mobile will feature two antennas: Sirio 5000 on a PL-145 is one. To go with a McKinley.

Bro just needs a headset if he’s not traveling alone.

Theres no substitute for all those road miles to understand how CB is used while mobile.

Is he coming back East on IH-40? As a trucker I’d break off at West Memphis to run IH55 North to IH-155 across The River. (Use Dyersburg, TN as waypoint into GPS).

— Then the Bluegrass Parkway to Lexington, KY. (Use Calvert City as waypoint).

— IH 64 to Charleston, WV

— IH 79 to Morgantown, WV
(Use Cumberland, MD as waypoint).

— IH 68 & IH70 into Baltimore.

Thence, IH95 (Use your home address and route advice).

Scenic & Peaceful once past West Memphis. Alternatives are not pleasant. This route closest to the feel of the 1970s.

IH 40 Little Rock to Knoxville, sucks
As does IH81 up thru Virginia. They were still nice into the 1990s. Not any more.

Last edited:
Have heard quite a few good radios this trip out. I’d swear that the more closely I listen, the more I hear. The coax filtration has come together, and that shows. Though not (CB REVIVAL thread topic) what a new guy or return-ee wants to hear (yet more $$).

PALOMAR ENGINEERS Line Isolator at antenna feedpoint to MORGAN 411cb Bandpass then past amp to a P-E coax filter designed to be installed at radio.

Post is to bolster the “truth” that a quieter receive pays off in understanding. I’ve had two good radios (higher than average quality) to work with this trip. There’s less fill-in-the-blank work done by the mind in understanding RX. Eases stress.

May someday have “quiet” in this Pete, but for revival sake there’s HAM RADIO equipment that can help as with above filters.

Have the radio rig put together for sons SUV. Just need him to get it over here.

The McKinley wound up inside a TRC-1 carrier with the KL-203 on its roof. A compression-fit where stock radio mount used. Bolted-in. Won’t move at all. But has some airflow.

Sirio 5000 on roof should be shy of 13’ clearance with PL-145 mag mount.

ANCOR 10-AWG positive to BUSSMAN Termination Fuse and APP at 12V Distribution end. NEG will be to seat bolt.

Have read I can get thru firewall at HVAC drain hose. Then along sill.

KES-5 speaker will hang — I think — under drivers seat firing into footwell. (Speaker efficiency so high that radio won’t run out of juice to make it as loud as required).

TRC-1 case goes on a MOLLE panel to be strapped & velcroed to passenger seat back. A coat hanger to cover it all (hide it).

Stock mic on a GearKeeper to be attached to (maybe) headrest strut. Retract to case.

Fun part was that I had enough split loom wire covering left over from big truck jobs to do it all. (Zip ties and TESA Harness Tape, too.)

92BBF869-3014-4703-B78D-34226057F402.jpeg

AB8C73B1-B14B-4877-8CFE-4F05CFB15B26.jpeg

Idea is to also facilitate moving Radio/Amp to house as desired. Unplug APP-terminated power & discon coax from amp. Loosen straps and slide transport carrier out.

Last edited:
I’m still (drag-ass slow) putting together a pair of rigs for my son. The mobile will feature two antennas: Sirio 5000 on a PL-145 is one. To go with a McKinley.

Bro just needs a headset if he’s not traveling alone.

Theres no substitute for all those road miles to understand how CB is used while mobile.

Is he coming back East on IH-40? As a trucker I’d break off at West Memphis to run IH55 North to IH-155 across The River. (Use Dyersburg, TN as waypoint into GPS).

— Then the Bluegrass Parkway to Lexington, KY. (Use Calvert City as waypoint).

— IH 64 to Charleston, WV

— IH 79 to Morgantown, WV
(Use Cumberland, MD as waypoint).

— IH 68 & IH70 into Baltimore.

Thence, IH95 (Use your home address and route advice).

Scenic & Peaceful once past West Memphis. Alternatives are not pleasant. This route closest to the feel of the 1970s.

IH 40 Little Rock to Knoxville, sucks
As does IH81 up thru Virginia. They were still nice into the 1990s. Not any more.

Just the stretch from Little Rock to Nashville alone sucks... Makes it feel like Arkansas and Tennessee miles are longer than anywhere else.

Reactions: Slowmover
Just the stretch from Little Rock to Nashville alone sucks... Makes it feel like Arkansas and Tennessee miles are longer than anywhere else.

And now you have to divert north on IH-55 at West Memphis to cross the river at Dyersburg, TN. Then run the state highway to Jackson, TN in the middle that major construction to TRY to get back on IH-40E.

Too difficult at Memphis with bridge closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828
Just watched him drive off. Had to get nearly every custom-detail done beforehand w/o access to the car.

The reason I’m so proud to have gotten this job done is to specifically thank one of our well-known contributors:

Undertaker

Mister, you caused me to catch my breath with your unexpected and unasked generosity in making the gift of a brand-new PRESIDENT McKinley radio to add to this long-delayed system installation for my son.

Who, in the past two years became engaged, married and is now the proud father of a lovely infant girl. Who, tomorrow heads across Americas badlands (could be anywhere) nearly a 1,000-miles to start training for a new career position.

It’s with some Dad tears I watched him drive off far more comfortable he now has a radio rig I know is one to which other Americans will give response.

This ain’t no confounded back-up radio.

We didn’t iron out every detail, but that new McKinley, a KES-5 and a KL-203 feeding a 6’ Sirio 5000 is one helluva rig (some packaging details; where to mount speaker not done, etc). ANCOR 10AWG to Batt. Neg to seat bolt. Good practice observed.

1.2:1-1.4:1 SWR all day long, amp on or off.

No antenna trim needed.

I’ve also donated radio gear when Spirit moved me . . and made it a point to the son that, unasked and unexpected can change a life.

I’ve communicated this by PM to Undertaker.

But I want the rest of y’all (whom also deserve thanks answering my questions and overlooking my errors), that WWDX as a hobbyist forum has my gratitude that I was able to do what I just did. Your help, and that of Our Father.

The examples are unforgettable. Thank you.

Have to babysit a load (backhaul that got me to FTW for next outbound) that’s kept at 0-F degrees until tomorrow. Time enough to get past the house and grab a few items of radio gear.

I don’t hear all that many base stations on AM-19 as a truck driver and am wondering about the readership here if this is part of your routine to chat with regulars?

There are those cities — Amarillo and Oklahoma City, plus Knoxville and Chicago — where I hear intelligent talk from local base stations by which is meant: adding to the flow, not detracting.

Best is relaying a weak signal message farther out

“Best” is meant to be how YOU perceive it.

CB RADIO REVIVAL is starting from where things are at present. Good, bad, and ugly, if need be. Truck drivers might be a majority, but that wasn’t always the case. Nor need it be so tomorrow.

FWIW, the regulars among truck drivers are the locals, first, and the regionals, weekly.

IOW, locals doing multiple loads may be on your your radio nearly all day. Regional, will pass by daily or every few days down to 2X weekly.

In my job of out & back I’m in D/FW up to three days per week. One day to get loaded, up to two (split overnight) to get unloaded & reloaded. I’d get past a base station East of Dallas 2X weekly, minimum. Would be looking for that signal.

OTR will be passing by your place 2X every two to three weeks.

1). A major metro area is huge. D/FW is approximately 100-miles wide by 50-miles north/south. No familiar base stations at present except in SE Dallas County (although there are farther out).

When you consult a map circle a radius of 75-miles from your city center as to the majority of potential HIGH radio traffic. Potential, as it’s unused. Unoccupied.

Given a suburban location for the base antenna, circle what is your coverage by mobile unit reports?

Do those two circles have overlap?

2). Is your base antenna one where the Metro and past Suburban would enable you to relay something of what’s happening to drivers too far out to hear close-in reports?

— Am trying to suggest with this that it’d be easy for you to exploit a niche with a ready-made listenership.

I’m inbound to OKC from out west near El Reno and can start to hear the city-center base stations. While I’m not expecting traffic reports, any major road closed for hours in an emergency would be an enormous help.

What mile marker where I pick up the regulars at 68-mph tells me some things about conditions and the state of my rig.

So even Old Fart Radio where making colonoscopy comparisons among regulars is underway is damned useful.

Here’s congratulations on having installed those mobile family units worthy of your base station and test the TX-RX radius circle.

I know we now live in an era where everyone’s afraid of his “neighbor”. The Radius Circle allows you to appoint geographical landmarks congruent with that circle, but NOT at your station.

“Fella, if you can hear me that means you’re no more than about (X-miles) from (Y-position) based on reports from others in the past”.

A known landmark or where two highways cross, IOW.

“Exactness”, not big. No need to actual location.

Y’all have seen the dam crack re DSP receive audio on CB. Expect that men like ourselves will be more in evidence in days ahead. What winds up going above the heads of (some? many?) is that a new layer of users is come into being.

We’ve also had some good pickup antenna system threads this past year.

1+1= new serious users (not big truck drivers). Radios sold out, gear on back order . . do the math.

And . . everyone here has outfitted every single family car with an AM/SSB McKinley, KL-203 & and 5/foot-plus antenna on a Breedlove-quality mount and WMR CLEARSPEECH, right?

Just remains to get those Field Strength Chart readings for the base at 5, 10, 15, and 25-miles, right? (AM for General Purpose, and SSB for family and friends).

A big map with that circle drawn (and push-pins denoting great intersections or landmarks) makes “reading” your locale a piece of pie. And it’s a help to others.

RAND-McNALLY MOTOR CARRIERS ROAD ATLAS to show truck routes, if you want to offer that level of help.

And tell family/friends what to avoid in some circumstances (have same atlas in their cars).

Last edited:
Takeaway from above last few posts is that:

1). Hiding the radio on passenger seat back, works.

2). High Performance Mobile can be done in today’s cars.

3). When it’s you out & about while mobile, isn’t it nice to know you can shout out to friends getting past at THAT time of THAT day and be recognized?

— As a driver familiar to a few base stations I can tell you it’s gratifying that, were I moved to speak by something I found important, that I would have a ready reception . .

. . . and he’s got the juice to really get that message far & wide.

Again, it’s what YOU perceive to be best.

Last edited:
With a base, I’d call this whatever the owner desires. I don’t think it needs a designation.

— Get some chat going and maybe learn some names (meaning get yours out there).

Ask for non-truck drivers
would be what I’d try. I’d shit-talk pickup driver radios and ask if those roof rack antennas are Democratic radios? sort of thing. Or, another angle to get truckers to invite themselves in and play dog-pile. Whatever got a rise out of them AND get LOCALS (commuters) on mobile to join in. Keep both groups hopping.

Is what I’d try. Others might try what appeals to them.

Remember (be aware) that a base gives a voice a commanding presence. After hours or days of same old scratchy mobile, it’s quite a change.

I’d also — relative to an Interstate — find the air miles distance for a given set of mile markers and give out free air checks.

That’s an easy way to gather CB handles for future use.
Do they go past regularly? Daily? Same hours?

a). An air check
b). A handle
c). Will we hear from you again?

One of the old men near Knoxville has a regular cast of characters who log in. If it’s Thursday at 1630, it’s time for Snowball to check in.

That fella is someone who keeps the conversation going (heavy rain and traffic back towards Chattanooga, construction has the Atlanta road down to one lane) which brings in others. Strangers. Who, with a how-do and a handle get greeted by a few regulars.

I’m not trying to suggest or advise a particular way of doing anything except noting that a great base station is something one looks forward to while mobile.

It ain’t The Merv Griffin Show — or King Mudduck Hour — so I trust that operators find something suits them.

I would think of it as opening the door to opportunities for on-air friendship. My getting to know others, sure — but more than anything — my strong clear base station signal doesn’t fade away AND invites others to say Hello! To each other, is the irony, not just to me.

A beacon on the headland. Seen by all. Not just murky lamps ship-to-ship barely seen.

I hope there are those find it appealing to try. Chip away at it. There’ll come that day in the minds of drivers (of any vehicle) that character & signal strength MIGHT have a correlation, and ask the questions all men carry with them.

Open the door, then open the floor. (Just stand back).

Keeper of the Eddystone Light . .
isn’t himself the light.

Have heard HOURS LONG conversations get going this way. MAINLY strangers. But not of their hearts.

A bit of that and you look forward to passing that way again to see who’s home.

Personally, I’ve got a few too many radio projects going (at least son now has his rig a’rollin’), but you can bet my travel trailer set-up will be used this way (Silver Streak Mobile thread). And that my pickup (Puck Mount thread) will be used the same way, mobile or stationary. I might not be home too much, but I bet I can get a few handles to start working AM-19 In my area.

Not everything is yet clear on the new job (t680 Install thread), but I stopped off at the house today to pick up yet more to install while on the road. 100W or 200W is the last question not yet answered.

My part — as an OTR driver now on regular runs — will be to see if I can’t wake up a few base stations or powerful local mobile radios. Get my name around. Ask about the fishing. Whatever.

The filler material of today is practice for what MIGHT matter as men search for a solution to a problem or problems only THEY can solve on a future day. (As God has given them that right).

Being comfortable in the format — understanding ebb & flow — that’s a radio operator.

Content, not just Contact.

Eleven is always going to be a free-for-all, so knowing what recommendations to make to queries (get on Sideband at; 2-Meter at;, etc) kinda comes down to the locals and the general friendliness.

There’s a will, then there’s a way, to get CB’ers to other modes, other services as those probably already exist in the area when it seems suitable.
(That might be motivation for some base station operators).

Consider this. Add to the thread, please. These’ve just been what it’s like for me as a driver coming to your town and hearing good conversation already underway. Clearly. Loud, and clearly (compared to the last 312-miles down mud duck highway).

Last edited:
A bit of that and you look forward to passing that way again to see who’s home.

Just a great way to learn America - by the noise it makes over your CB Radio.

upload_2021-7-11_18-31-37.png

While some may complain that there's a lot of skip making a lot of noise...
If is was not for CB radio - Much of the world would not know America, and we would not be Free as we are now.

Being OTR - those noises were much like seeing the lights of a harbor, hearing the bells of the buoys - knowing you are arriving to a port - a destination.

To my ears, it's music of America...

When conditions are dead sometimes I will turn to 19 and see if I can get any trucks going up and down rt 1. It is not a big corridor as most truck traffic bypasses Delaware all together, but I can usually get someone to come back to me.

If you get a few handles and know time slots, it’s no thing to holler out and ask about their bunion pain cure: working? Let in everyone on innocent fun.

And,
it’s a workin’ when you hear your handle Taken in Vain!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.