1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

TinySA pocket-sized Spectrum Analyzer

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Robb, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Robb

Robb Yup

New item on the market.
    TinySA is a portable Spectrum Analyzer/Frequency Generator that might fill the niche for those who need an analyzer for your bench that covers two tools - for either testing a radio's 2nd harmonic level - or the generator/analyzer function to build RF filters.
    Perhaps other needs as well . . .

tinySA_housing.jpg

About ~$60/shipped
    Works up to 960Mhz

For the low down on it:
    https://www.tinysa.org/wiki/

#1 Robb, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

It's ol'e good nanovna

3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Got my Nano VNA a couple weeks ago. Still need to learn about using it. 20201103_131141.jpg

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  4. Robb

Robb Yup

I'm considering getting the TinySA to use on my bench for testing 2nd harmonics on CB radios and checking for splatter.

The sig/gen part provides a sine wave up to 350Mhz and from 350Mhz to 960Mhz, it gives a square wave function. It provides some modes, such as AM, FM, and wide FM. Also has a sweep gen function as well.

Don't know anything about thee NanoVNA; what is it capable of?

5. DTB Radio

DTB Radio Well-Known Member

The NanoVNA is a palm-sized 2-port vector network analyzer with a huge range of abilities including computer interface. It offers smith chart, SWR, delay readout, and a host of other functions, I've used mine for antenna analysis, tuning antenna traps, checking coax cable integrity visa S12 measurements, and checking cable length using time domain reflectometry via the interface software. I have by no means explored all of the possible functions yet, but I don't see why it couldn't be used as a step-swept signal generator or tracking generator as well. All in all, it is an amazing little gadget for the price, and the price is inline with the TinySA (which I am now eyeballing quite hard, thanks to the OP, lol!!!)

tecnicoloco and Robb like this.