• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To vee up or vee down

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Anyone know the difference in how well a wire antenna would work in a regular vee vs an inverted vee?

There's some useful info in the link posted below.

Thanks but not what I was looking for. I need to give more Info.

I run a 135ft ocfd that's a flat top at 55ft above ground to the feed point unun. The ends are adjustable as is the feedpoint on height.
As I lower the unun the ends will either drop or they will for a right side up vee shape. As I raided the unun it mors more toward a flat top.

I orig was wondering if anyone had played with the height of the feed point/ vee shape in comparison to any other shape, like a flat top or inverted vee.

I am thinking I can leave the ends and raise or lower the feedpoint to make adjustments in height so nvis will be more possible or dx will be more possible when its higher. Like rf gain by height, haha. But all I've ever seen is inverted vee, i assume because of the feedpoint impedance issue. But each band will be different too so it's just an experiment

This is a fair idea of what it does as I raise or lower. It's what I'm wondering about. If it can be helpful to be able to raise and lower while using it to increase nvis or dx or limit trash interference.

Attachments

• 20220717_110350.jpg
    20220717_110350.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220717_110316.jpg
    20220717_110316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20220717_110446.jpg
    20220717_110446.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220717_110422.jpg
    20220717_110422.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220717_110514.jpg
    20220717_110514.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: sunbulls
Off the bat I would say try it and see?
Good question then you mentioned NVIS.
7mhz and lower in freq for NVIS.
If you at 55 ft AGL you are NVIS.
I have a 40/80 meter fab dipole at the shop 65 feet to feed point inverted V.
At house I have 40/80 meter dipole in a lazy U configuration feed point 30 ft AGL.
I see no difference in TX or RX and neither do any of the guys I rag chew with.

Try your experiment and find out. Be interesting to see results.

Reactions: nfsus
Assuming the antenna is a textbook half-wave, center-fed dipole, the feedpoint is the highest current point; maximum RF at that point, tapering off pretty equally to the ends. With a normal "V" configuration, with the center point at the bottom, a lot of the RF that would normally radiate to receiving antennas all over the world just goes into the ground. Why? Because it's seeking ground, and the bottom of a V is closer to ground than some receiving antenna in Baluchistan.

On the other hand, an inverted vee (vertex at the highest point) puts that max current up a bit closer to where it can do some good. Hello, Baluchistan!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?