• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Took the Exam today,,,

Congrats... got my technician a couple of years ago with my wife. We both got our generals and then I started to have fun on HF. Purchased a Yaesu FT-991a with an end fed diapole from myantennas. A Diamond x300 vertical and a yagi 6 meter. I have no amplifier and have no problems talking on HF with 100 watts. I do have a good tuner. My wife just got her Extra and we are both VE's. I started on 11 meters over 50 years ago and still have friends from that time. I operated a SBE console II, PDL quads and a little grey box called, a plantom triple stage. Have fun N2RCV

You're not overloading me Gary LOL I appreciate the info and encouragement! (y)

I've talked to some local and semi local guys on 10 meters plus logged in on three different field day networks around the country last Saturday.

Also logged in earlier this week on a retired guys group in PA on 28.3750

A friend of mine has several 2-meter radios and wants to give me a mobile one to get me going on that band. He wants to give me a NIB Icom but says I can have my choice. He also wants to help me put up a 2-meter antenna.

Meanwhile I'm studying for the General Exam on a website and also using the ARRL General study book. Also I did join ARRL.

Doing these and other things at an old codgers pace of course. As the wise philosopher Clint Eastwood once said, "A man has got to know his limitations"

Thanks,
Ralph

ICOM is the KING of Amateur Radio as far as I am concerned & the FREE ones are some of my favorites but I don't own any FREE ICOM Radios just the ones I paid for.I'd rather pay full price for an ICOM that use or own a FREE Yaesu.I have had a lot of issues with Yaesu's so I refuse to use or own one even for FREE.Have fun & you will find plenty to do in the hobby & more than there are hours in a day if you wish.

God Bless & 73,
SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

SIX-SHOOTER….definitely plenty to do in the hobby. I can see that for sure and I’m just now getting started.

Lot to learn and lots to do.

Thanks for your advice. Hope to get 2-meters in operation by end of this week.

Reactions: Rwb
Ford-Chevy-Dodge etc...
Yaesu-Kenwood-ICOM
Blah-Blah...
Good and Bad in All.
I own: Yaesu
FT-950....17 years old.
FT-920... 20 years old
FTdx3000D...10 years old
Ftdx3000D....abt 2 years old
FT-891...about 1 year old
FT2900R...2 meter 75 watt mobile....At least 10-12 years old...bought for $139.00 shipped NIB
All still 100% functional

ICOM
IC-7100
nice mobile rig but VHF 2m/440 rx dead...needs to go to shop
ICOM IC-9100 ... 12 years old... ICOM's "FLAGSHIP" radio in 2008 160m thru 440 megs...$3100 new....
My $140 Yaesu 2m FM rig out hears it...OK just one section of rig...can't be great everywhere.
My Ftdx3000D out hears it on HF/6m...most certainly on 6 meters!
But for "Shack in a Box" the ICOM OK...the reason I keep around (for now) does 100 watts on 2m FM/SSB and 75 watts 440 FM/SSB, has the D-STAR module, plus both extra RX optional filters.(y)
Had TS-2000 Kenwood...sold that quickly it was DEAF ALSO compared to other rigs.
Had IC-7300...lasted about 2 weeks...Deaf and Overload RX issues compared to the Ftdx3000D...
So run what ya brung !!!!
Diffidently if you buy an HF rig...DON"T buy unless it has 6 meters...IMHO

A few tips for 10 meter USB:

28.400 great place to listen...about the busiest place in your section!
28.480 to 28.495...check there often...I have found more DX stations there when band open.(good spot to call CQ)
28.325 / 28.350 / 28.385 seem to be good spots for "Groups"...so there you have it.
ENJOY
All the Best
Gary

PS: One more note...Do you have OLD programable Police Scanner...Old Bearcat 210...or something like that...
(y):D
They make GREAT 6/2 meters FM Monitors!!!

ICOM is the KING of Amateur Radio as far as I am concerned & the FREE ones are some of my favorites but I don't own any FREE ICOM Radios just the ones I paid for.I'd rather pay full price for an ICOM that use or own a FREE Yaesu.I have had a lot of issues with Yaesu's so I refuse to use or own one even for FREE.Have fun & you will find plenty to do in the hobby & more than there are hours in a day if you wish.

God Bless & 73,
SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520
amen brother,4 yaesu radios 3 were JUNK.
from now on kenwood and icom .if neither 1 id use a string n 2 tin cans before id even look at a yaesu

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
2-meter radio came alive here today. One of my radio friends (Danny) here in NC gave me a radio and also helped me put up my 2-meter antenna.

With 2, 10 & 11 meters occupying my time I need to someway get back on track studying for my General. :barefoot:

Yaesu FTM 3100 E

upload_2021-7-13_22-7-7.jpeg

Diamond X30A

upload_2021-7-13_22-9-19.jpeg

Nice: Ralph...
WISH you had 6 meters today...and Dipole up high...you would be working EURO's...been crazy for the East Coast guys since Sunrise here...
Only got France/Italy here but hoping...(ADD SPAIN) just worked 1400z
Hrd SPAIN and Portugal...but could not get thru before fade!!!!
All the Best
Gary

PS: Hope you programmed bunch of 2m SIMPLEX freq's in...SSB/2M guys been raving last 2 mornings how it's been WIDE Open around Sunrise and after...
(500+ mile range)
Would bet FM Simplex...146.52/146.46/147.57 have some traffic running!!!!
ENJOY:love::LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated