• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top Gun Quad 5

I just picked up a Quad 5 Friday. Happened to be delivering in Strattanville, Pa. so had to stop at Bob's! Well.......I walked out with a new radio! Unfortunately upon installing the radio at home it seems the NB/ANL doesn't work on SSB! Works fine on AM. Is this normal? Just wan't to make sure I'm not stupid before I send it back.

JD
I think that's normal. I will check my Anytone 5555.

Mobile only:

NB on Sideband (is how I think of it).

On AM only: Experience is that as a function it doesn’t do all that much anyway. Maybe makes the hiss sound different (not less) so that listening isn’t as fatiguing.

The President Lincoln I recently bought seems more effective, but it’s the HI-CUT filter that “matters”.

I myself have not had a SSB radio where the NB/ANL didn't work. One good thing came out of this, narrowed my SSB noise problem, that I thought was coming from the fridge, to the inverter!

JD

That's been my experience with mine. Overall a real nice radio. I wasn't sure about the orange display, but I like it! Have a few more things to do regarding common mode crap from antenna. Then I'm going to try a KLV-203 with it and see how it does on SSB skip.
I do like the 60 channel option via programming! Nice to be able to just spin the knob from 27.185 to the freeband channels without turning another knob. And the channel encoder works way better than a Stryker!
JD

Last edited:
I just picked up a Quad 5 Friday. Happened to be delivering in Strattanville, Pa. so had to stop at Bob's! Well.......I walked out with a new radio! Unfortunately upon installing the radio at home it seems the NB/ANL doesn't work on SSB! Works fine on AM. Is this normal? Just wan't to make sure I'm not stupid before I send it back.

JD
Bob's had them back in 2014 I went looking to see where I first saw them last time I was on and that is where! He used to do a Blog I think it was called Informer or CB Informer or something like that.

Has anyone tried a KLV203 with the Quad 5? I was thinking of giving it a whirl. Radio with RF power all the way down DK's 1.5 watts on AM. I had great luck with one of these amps behind a Galaxy77 years ago with the older style finals. Would these newer mosfets swing too much? I would primarily use the amp on SSB.

JD

Reactions: Slowmover
I have the anytone 5555 also. I find it to be a great radio. Always get good reports on the audio being clear. Made it into Sweden last Saturday night ( there was some skip running for about a half an hour about 23.30hrs) and my signal there was nil but audio was clear but low. Swedish chap was running a Ranger
2950. I was just running the radio barefoot through a silver rod on a 20 foot pole.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated