• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower takedown

I once took down a 50 footer using a friend's dump truck. We backed the truck up to the tower, and raised the dump bed straight up. Strapped the tower securely to the bed, torched the base plate mounting bolts, and slowly lowered it down. Blew the bolts out between the tower sections, piled them into the truck bed, and drove home. Only took about an hour. Quick and dirty and safe.

399 that doesn't sound like a plan for a friend's tower, that sounds like a plan for an enemy's tower LOL.
hope all is well.
LC

tweetybird,
thanks so much for posting the pic of the mast.

that is exactly what i am going to be purchasing in the next few months, and could really use some reviews and up close pics.

there's just not that much about how these things work for CB antennas that i can find.

are you going to put a vertical on it, or a wire antenna?
how much do you think it will bend?

any info you can provide is much appreciated and im sure others would like to know also.
LC

Ok I put it up next weekend. It has lots of guy rings.the lower you go the stiffer it gets i can extend it an put it on the fence

20200126_181739.jpg

Attachments

• 20200126_181747.jpg
    20200126_181747.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 115
Up to the 11/4 piece about 40' it's pretty stiff smaller pipes get floppy I'm going to put on a wire.goes like 55'

I've been wondering how you'd drop a tower if I was to find one for a steal. I'm half tempted to go a couple houses down and ask the homeowner if I could have their tower if I drop it - the TV antenna on has one piece left hanging down on it, rest are gone.

This post made me google it, watched a few videos. Figuring my 9000lb winch, hundreds of feet of cable (old winch line, old gantry crane cable, etc still safely usable), I'd be able to bring it down. Snatch block, couple large trees for anchors, etc... Only about 3 stories up.

Gin pole. In sections. Problem being rust/ decay and liability. Safety harness? Ability to climb, rig, and operate a chain fall. Or like you say a winch and guys, and a couple of good hands to help you out. The latter could be bribed with steaks and beer.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.