• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower takedown

Tweetybird

Jun 23, 2019
I have seen a tower for sale with a beam or two on it 40' tall big beam on top and need to take down for purchase.can I weld a hinge on it and cut it and lay it down? It has guy ropes. Or

honestly tweetybird, it's kind of dangerous to give advice about something like this.

If you already knew all the safety factors needed, and inherent dangers in attempting this, you would not be asking, you'd be giving advice to others and cautioning them against doing dangerous things they don't have experience with.

since you are asking, i have to assume you don't do things like this in your professional capacity, and since i do (not specifically tower rigging, but high rigging with thousands of pounds involved), i will tell you that i strongly advise against getting involved with that project.

hey, i may be wrong, and you've rigged a 500 pound speaker stack to a 100 foot redwood in the winter, and are just checking yourself.

If i were in your situation, i would first be checking the soil, the cement, and the welds of the first 10 feet first.
then i would be using a gin pole, and re-doing the guy wires as i climbed up.
i would never be at the top of that tower without my own guy wires supporting me.
and if the tower was rusty, probably not even then.
LC

Got a nice fifty foot fiberglass mast for the wire antenna
It weighs twenty five pounds a hy gain brand

is this one of those telescoping masts that MFJ sells?

would love to see some pics if so.
also any reviews as to how sturdy it is, and how it bends in the wind etc.
LC

The last 50" tower with beams on it I took down took 8 men to walk down with the beams attached. I wouldnt suggest trying that though. Cheap for a reason is correct.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I once took down a 50 footer using a friend's dump truck. We backed the truck up to the tower, and raised the dump bed straight up. Strapped the tower securely to the bed, torched the base plate mounting bolts, and slowly lowered it down. Blew the bolts out between the tower sections, piled them into the truck bed, and drove home. Only took about an hour. Quick and dirty and safe.

I once took down a 50 footer using a friend's dump truck. We backed the truck up to the tower, and raised the dump bed straight up. Strapped the tower securely to the bed, torched the base plate mounting bolts, and slowly lowered it down. Blew the bolts out between the tower sections, piled them into the truck bed, and drove home. Only took about an hour. Quick and dirty and safe.

Just need a dump truck.its a six element beam too bad not worth the pain.

I was thinking about using a big tractor with a loader on the front, but a dump truck would be perfect.

7593252-510x600.jpg

The pull behinds are fine to around 40-45 ft used them many times.
Extra support under the outriggers is a must in the dirt. (4x8's) work well. On concrete they are fine.
I rent them for like $150-200 for 24 hrs. About $300 for a weekend(Fri-Sun).

135ft...Geez Child's play!:whistle::)
Try a man basket at the end of a 75 Ton Grove Crane with a 208 ft Boom. Now that's FUN!:ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated