• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRANSISTORS. HOW FAR WE'VE TRAVELED

The men who were instrumental in developing the transistor went on to found the company we currently call "Texas Instruments." Clarence "Doc" Karcher and Eugene McDermott.

Reactions: Sonar
That's an interesting fact. I found the clip actually fascinating as well as informative. That's why I thought I would share it. Thanks for sharing that information. 73

Reactions: Tallman
That's an interesting fact. I found the clip actually fascinating as well as informative. That's why I thought I would share it. Thanks for sharing that information. 73
Thanks for bringing the video out. I haven't seen that since 1973 in Electronics school. The new thing we studied was Integrated Circuits, and the we were also the last class that they were going to teach Vacuum Tubes. I'm sure they brought that back into the course later on.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
When I went to tech school in the 90s the tube material had already been taken from curriculum. Our Analog professor was old school and had started teaching in the 50s when he got out of the military. He told us stories about tubes in use during WWII and the things that they would have to do in order to improvise a repair of one thing or another. He then drew diagrams on the chalk board for about ten minutes. And that's all we learned. I often wonder if it would have been easier to learn transistors if we had learned tubes first.
Chris

Reactions: Tallman
When I went to tech school in the 90s the tube material had already been taken from curriculum. Our Analog professor was old school and had started teaching in the 50s when he got out of the military. He told us stories about tubes in use during WWII and the things that they would have to do in order to improvise a repair of one thing or another. He then drew diagrams on the chalk board for about ten minutes. And that's all we learned. I often wonder if it would have been easier to learn transistors if we had learned tubes first.
Chris
Even though we learned tubes first, transistors were magic. One of the things that helped me learn a lot of the electronics theory was the instructor was a gear head and he would compare a lot of the electronic parts to car parts. Like Diodes were Check valves, Capacitors were mufflers, tubes and transistors were like throttle valves in a carburetor. It helped some of the other guys too. The transistor section was three weeks long and was the course section that weeded out a lot of future technicians.
When you go through the U.S. Navy schools for a particular trade the motivation to excel was tremendous. Flunk out and before the week was out you had orders to report to the fleet for lessons in paint chipping and repainting. The last thing I wanted to do was to be hanging from a boatswain's chair chipping and painting. A very undesirable occupation in or out of the military. There have been instances where a Boatswain mate was working over the side while underway and got washed out of the seat and was lost at sea.(I don't know if that is true or not.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.