• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS DX 350 HDV enroute.. couple questions

So about a 1/2 S unit more

Well the furthest I got thus far with RM from the base was 17-18 miles consistently via ground wave. If I can get to 30 miles consistently with 200w or so on this TS I will be slightly happier with my base setup..

Granted I had 2 contacts in Illinois and Indiana last night on 7.248 with ease.. clear as a bell.. Had Nebraska a few weeks back on 7.2675, person sent me a qsl card.. 1104 miles.. needless to say I want to frame my first card.

Well the furthest I got this far with RM from the base was 17-18 miles consistently. If I can get to 30 miles consistently with 200w or so on this TS I will be slightly happier with my base setup..
If it helps then more power to you. I only owned one amp in my life, a Sonar BR-21. It did about 50w with 4w drive(I did use it on SSB after I modified the keying circuit). Hardley ever used it as it was very dirty and got into everything. I had a Shakespear Big Stik and a Avanti PDLII on a 55' Rohn tower. With the masting and everthingI think the tip of the Big Stik was 70'. Twelve watts was enough in those days.

So TS is due in tomorrow.

Should I set the mic gain all the way down to set the DK or just don't talk?

I was thinking set like half way down and set the DK as I get low audio reports from others usually unless my mic gain is almost full up because I haven't had the internal modulation turned up yet.

My cheapo Astatic PDC1 meter only goes to 100w so I can only set the DK and not test for swing or anything..

I was thinking of setting radio at 1 3/4w dk (which it is set to now for the RM203) and see where the amp DK falls.. and check the SWR with amp on as well.

What sucks is I don't know if my SWR coming out is going to be ok once modulation and power is applied because of meter limits..

Last edited:
Does your 872 require power to do the PEP function or is that just for the light?? Have to ask..

The instructions say DC power is for meter illumination. Makes no mention of it being required for PEP measurments. That tells me that function is likely not very accurate. I basically purchased it as a SWR meter that is large and easy to read. I do use the lighted meter. Looks great.

If you are wanting an accurate PEP meter I would opt for the Daiwa 901HP.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dwa-cn-901hp

IF you don't have any SWR problems hooking up the TS to the radio - I'd say don't concern yourself maximizing power when all you'll get is; Spread Spectrum and lousy "pinched" audio with people calling you back in FM mode telling you the radio sounds fine...

Keep it stock as much as possible - look at your photos and count the winds on those splitter/combiners - they are closer to 50 ohms than many amps I've "undone" from someone - to return them to stock for someone...so they can talk to someone...normally...

Again, keep the McKinley stock if not just a little less power - you'll be fine...

IF you don't have any SWR problems hooking up the TS to the radio - I'd say don't concern yourself maximizing power when all you'll get is; Spread Spectrum and lousy "pinched" audio with people calling you back in FM mode telling you the radio sounds fine...

Keep it stock as much as possible - look at your photos and count the winds on those splitter/combiners - they are closer to 50 ohms than many amps I've "undone" from someone - to return them to stock for someone...so they can talk to someone...normally...

Again, keep the McKinley stock if not just a little less power - you'll be fine...

So your saying the TS internals I got look pretty good.. thanks that's a relief

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well, I have trade secrets but I have no scruples...

Look these over from the TS350 I have as a "template" I had to eat a cost on. I'll let you look it over and you can see if there's something amiss - go ahead and zoom in if needed to help you determine your amps fate...
TS350HDVRearLefta.png TS350HDVFrontLefta.png

And No complaints about my messy desk either...!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated