• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuned input for Tetrode

Crusher

May 12, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'm thinking of building a HF amp using something with either a Russian 4cx400 or 4cx800 equivalent. But I'm not sure on the best way to do a tuned input. Any suggestions or good links I should read up on?

Sweet. Interesting info, thanks for the link. I may try something like that. Man 7.5 turns with 1" I.D. That's a decent amount of inductance. I'm thinking 1.5-2uH.

I think the 7.5 turns is to get it on 75 meters you may nty need that many.

I am seeing over 3KW on that tube with 5.5kv B+ not driving it hard tube specs says 2.5 amp plate current I have yet to drive it to 1.75A Plate current so there is more potential there.

Reactions: Crusher
Nice. Sounds like ya got her purring like a kitten. I'm hoping to put this together over winter. Slowly piecing and picking up parts along the way.

The amp seems to be doing ok, uses a Pole Pig for a B+ tr. huge heavy darn thing but al the amps the amp will ever need for the B+.

I know what you mean by parts and pieces. I dug DEEP into the junk box to finish this russian tube build.

Price of new parts and pieces makes building an amp more expensive than buying a commercial made.

Sure is fun putting those parts and pieces together and watching it work.

GU5B 001.jpg GU5B 002.jpg GU5B 003.jpg

That transformer will make a hernia quick. PITA to pick up.

It may look like the blower motor is installed wrong but the GU5B hangs upside down as most Russian tubes do.

The heat from that tube is tremendous. I was concerned about plate and grid meters and the plastic melting or warping. No metering on the RF deck.

I just protected the B+ voltage at 2 amps. tube specs are 2.5 amp. at 5000 VDC.

Plate current is fuse protected similar to the DRAKE L4B cathode fuse mod.

OFF topic for the thread but BJ did ask for pics.:sneaky:(y)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of building a HF amp using something with either a Russian 4cx400 or 4cx800 equivalent. But I'm not sure on the best way to do a tuned input. Any suggestions or good links I should read up on?

I am assuming that when you say an HF amp you mean the entire HF range 160-10m. You can make a simple Pi section using solenoid inductors or toroids and switch one in for each band either with a DPDT switch or separate relays. that what is usually done and is what I plan to do WHEN I build my amplifier.....which I may get a start on this winter.

Shields/ cabinet covers were removed for pictures.

The op wanted the PS to be able to supply B+ to other decks in the future.

The plan is to re locate the PS permanently in his shack as a stand alone HV PS.

SO this is a temporary cabinet to allow me to move that beast around using the casters of the cabinet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.