• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turkey shoot tomorrow at local V F W hall near me

RWB
I am not quite sure how your shoots work?
Is the pattern on the board how it's judged?
What size shot can you use, what is the distance?

Thank you all.
The paper is tacked to boards.we shoot number 8 shot 28 guage up to 12 guage open competition 10 boards per round.whoever gets a pellet in center of cross wins.we have a protractor to measure closeness dx man.
Its fun and suprizing how shot scatters

Ok I’m a tard. I’ve never been to one of these turkey shootings (heehee). So tell me how it works...

You have to bring your own gun or they provide you with something?

How much does it cost? I assume it isn’t free and the cost is much cheaper than buying a huge bird, correct?

I have never in my life been to one of these, honestly. So I’m asking out of ignorance to the subject, poke fun at me and I’ll aim my Death Star laser at your house.

Reactions: Rwb and Tallman
That is a good question. If you do not own land to hunt on the cost per pound goes up rapidly. I leased some land for deer hunting way back and I got two deer. I calculated the cost per pound of meat and it was ridiculous. The lease of the land, drive time, cost of camping on the land, etc. The cost came out to around $230.00 per pound.
When I looked at the price per pound and realized that I could have had Kobe beef for less than half the price per pound, deer hunting became a process I did not pursue.
I have not shot a deer in over 25 years. The last deer I shot my son consumed almost in it entirety. Minus a small amount of loin which was eaten while processing the meat for the freezer.
From an economic sense it did not add up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
I too have not shot a deer, in 45 years, my age actually. I am an awesome hunter though, at the meat counter at Food Lion.

I have an infrared oil less turkey fryer, the big easy cooker, that thing is awesome. I hate turkey actually but it’s pretty good in that thing.

I was just curious how the turkey shoot thing worked, turkey ain’t cheap at the food kitty so I assumed it was cheaper to shoot for one.

So RWB...what is the distance you folks are shooting?
Can one use custom chokes or just the factory chokes?
How many shots are you allowed?

I have done lots of "turkey shoots", but that was in bowling.

I too have not shot a deer, in 45 years, my age actually. I am an awesome hunter though, at the meat counter at Food Lion.

I have an infrared oil less turkey fryer, the big easy cooker, that thing is awesome. I hate turkey actually but it’s pretty good in that thing.

I was just curious how the turkey shoot thing worked, turkey ain’t cheap at the food kitty so I assumed it was cheaper to shoot for one.
I have one of those too. Bought it last year and so far have only cooked three chickens in it. Did the beer can in the chicken thing once and I don't recommend it.
One turkey was more than the wife and my neighbors could eat.
I now get my steaks at a slaughter house, I get the entire boneless prime rib for $60.00 and then I hand cut it into 1" steaks for the grill.
I am looking for a goose to cook in it next.(Not mine)

There is a round of either 5 or 10 shooters.you can shoot 28 guage up to 12 guage whatever choke you have shot at 50 feet at a standard sheet of writing paper with a cross on it.in each group whoever gets closest to the center of the cross wins. Your shotgun or some of us let them use ours 2 to 3 dollars a frame

Reactions: 357magnum
I have one of those too. Bought it last year and so far have only cooked three chickens in it. Did the beer can in the chicken thing once and I don't recommend it.
One turkey was more than the wife and my neighbors could eat.
I now get my steaks at a slaughter house, I get the entire boneless prime rib for $60.00 and then I hand cut it into 1" steaks for the grill.
I am looking for a goose to cook in it next.(Not mine)

And what cut does that rib give you for steaks? Again, ignorance on my end. How many of those steaks do you end up with?

I’m not sure I want any goose, I don’t really like turkey honestly. Never done the beer can thing either, is it bad?

Wonder if I can go to the turkey shoot with my trusty BB gun?

And what cut does that rib give you for steaks? Again, ignorance on my end. How many of those steaks do you end up with?

I’m not sure I want any goose, I don’t really like turkey honestly. Never done the beer can thing either, is it bad?

Wonder if I can go to the turkey shoot with my trusty BB gun?
Prime rib! It is the loin of the bovine. The upper portion of the back along side the spine. It is the primo most tender cut of beef. Not used for movement as in walking.
Always very well marbled and the fat caramelizes easily and lends a superior flavor to a grilled or broiled steak.
upload_2018-11-6_21-5-1.jpeg

AngusBeefChart.png

Prime rib! It is the loin of the bovine. The upper portion of the back along side the spine. It is the primo most tender cut of beef. Not used for movement as in walking.
Always very well marbled and the fat caramelizes easily and lends a superior flavor to a grilled or broiled steak.
View attachment 26101
AngusBeefChart.png
real tasty and peta hates us haha. I say peta = people eating tastey animals

I've shot probably 250-300 deer over the years...first one in 1970. We them all except a couple that were covered with fibroma.

Now I can't eat deer or any other red meat thanks to a bite two years ago from a Lone Star Tick. I haven't had a slice of bacon in going on two years. :barefoot: Can only eat birds and seafood. Maybe I should take up Turkey Shoots again!

Now have a red meat allergy and have to carry an EpiPen.

https://www.today.com/health/tick-bites-linked-rising-number-meat-allergies-t84821

Maybe I should take up turkey shoots again.

Fibroma in case anyone was wondering...:eek:

391432681.jpg

WTH is wrong in that pic??

I’d die if I couldn’t eat steak and hamburger.

Why does all prime rib look so raw?? I don’t dig on that, I don’t likes it. Can it be cooked medium well and not be so raw looking?

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.