• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Super Sidekick Recap

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
I am going to attempt a recap of my SSK mic because after sitting for quite some time, it now sounds bassy and muffled. Not that I use it, but my OCD won't allow me to let it sit knowing it's not right. Here is thye issue: I'm finding conflicting info on the web when it comes to cap values. I'm not a tech and I'm pretty useless on schematics, so I['m kinda confused. I wanted a kit, but all
I can find is someone selling the three axials and nothing else. I've attached a couple of pics, but my main question is whether or not I need to change all of them, or just the axials.

Attachments

• 20220730_231028.jpg
    20220730_231028.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220730_230837.jpg
    20220730_230837.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Only the three electrolytic capacitors are likely to cause trouble. The rest of them don't age nearly as rapidly. A ceramic-disc capacitor could easily outlive you and me, both.

The electrolytics weren't meant to last this long in the first place. And if changing them doesn't fix your problem you didn't waste much to find out.

And there's nothing sacred about the axial package. A radial-lead part with the same capacitance will work fine. And a higher voltage rating than original won't hurt, either.

Only the three electrolytic capacitors are likely to cause trouble. The rest of them don't age nearly as rapidly. A ceramic-disc capacitor could easily outlive you and me, both.

The electrolytics weren't meant to last this long in the first place. And if changing them doesn't fix your problem you didn't waste much to find out.

And there's nothing sacred about the axial package. A radial-lead part with the same capacitance will work fine. And a higher voltage rating than original won't hurt, either.

Thanx much. I'm aware of the flexibility in voltage ratings, but if the OE is 25v can I go all the way to 450v? It would seem that a lot of the caps I used to get at Radio Shack on unobtanium now. Also, would there be much difference if using a 22uf in place of a 25uf? And, 47 close enough to 50?

There wont be much difference in the values at all, given the percent tolerance most of them are made for. Plus or minus 5, 10, 20 percent. Klondike Mile put together a kit for me for the Sidekick. Thats always an option too.

A 450-Volt cap probably won't fit. Should work, but why?

The percent tolerance of the marked capacitance value will never be less the ten percent for electrolytic caps as a rule. It's common to see caps meant for use as power-supply filters to be spec'd at minus 50 or plus 100 percent. The difference between 22 and 25uf is not significant for the circuits in this mike.

The higher the voltage rating, the lower the capacitor's DC-leakage current will be. A circuit that's sensitive to tiny leakage currents normally found in an electrolytic cap will typically use a part with a voltage rating much higher than the circuit's DC voltages. Finding a 50-Volt rated electrolytic in a radio powered by 13.8 Volts just tells you that the circuit requires a low-leakage component to make the circuit stable.

Generally, the highest-voltage rating that fits in the space available will do the job okay.

Just don't use a voltage rating below the one marked on the factory part.

Reactions: Greg T
There wont be much difference in the values at all, given the percent tolerance most of them are made for. Plus or minus 5, 10, 20 percent. Klondike Mile put together a kit for me for the Sidekick. Thats always an option too.
Yeah, I can't find the exact values. I suppose things change over the years. I found a kit online for 8 bux, but amazon has boxes of various values, 150 pc or more for 8 or 10 bux.

A 450-Volt cap probably won't fit. Should work, but why?

The percent tolerance of the marked capacitance value will never be less the ten percent for electrolytic caps as a rule. It's common to see caps meant for use as power-supply filters to be spec'd at minus 50 or plus 100 percent. The difference between 22 and 25uf is not significant for the circuits in this mike.

The higher the voltage rating, the lower the capacitor's DC-leakage current will be. A circuit that's sensitive to tiny leakage currents normally found in an electrolytic cap will typically use a part with a voltage rating much higher than the circuit's DC voltages. Finding a 50-Volt rated electrolytic in a radio powered by 13.8 Volts just tells you that the circuit requires a low-leakage component to make the circuit stable.

Generally, the highest-voltage rating that fits in the space available will do the job okay.

Just don't use a voltage rating below the one marked on the factory part.

Well, I'm having a difficult time finding what I need. I usually go to All Electronics or Parts Express for my stuff, but these components are beginning to dwindle. I need a 50uf so a 47uf will work. and I need two 25uf so I think 22uf will be okay, or even a 33uf? One more thing; How about stacking? 2 of the same value in parallel?

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't find the exact values. I suppose things change over the years. I found a kit online for 8 bux, but amazon has boxes of various values, 150 pc or more for 8 or 10 bux.

Well, I'm having a difficult time finding what I need. I usually go to All Electronics or Parts Express for my stuff, but these components are beginning to dwindle. I need a 50uf so a 47uf will work. and I need two 25uf so I think 22uf will be okay, or even a 33uf? One more thing; How about stacking? 2 of the same value in parallel?
I like Digi-key or Mouser for components. Digi-key seems to get my stuff here faster and cheaper, and I can look at the values, temps and the size of the caps as there are miniature or smaller type caps of the same values. I like to use Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic brands as they seem to be more reliable as opposed to the chinese made...in my experience.

I just recapped my Midland desk mic, a Turner rebadged I'm sure, and did use the radial type caps as they were small enough. I think I used the 22 and 47 uf values, and there may have been a 15. Can't remember, been more than 5 minutes.

I like Digi-key or Mouser for components. Digi-key seems to get my stuff here faster and cheaper, and I can look at the values, temps and the size of the caps as there are miniature or smaller type caps of the same values. I like to use Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic brands as they seem to be more reliable as opposed to the chinese made...in my experience.

I just recapped my Midland desk mic, a Turner rebadged I'm sure, and did use the radial type caps as they were small enough. I think I used the 22 and 47 uf values, and there may have been a 15. Can't remember, been more than 5 minutes.
I don't know if it's just me, or what, but I cannot navigate DigiKey. I've looked at that site for years and somehow can't figure it out. Yeah, odd, since I've been building and repairing computers since the mid 90s. LOL. I got irritated last night and ordered a variety pack of 240 pieces from amazon!! But, damn it, I'm going to master DigiKey right now!! Thanx!

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I don't know if it's just me, or what, but I cannot navigate DigiKey. I've looked at that site for years and somehow can't figure it out. Yeah, odd, since I've been building and repairing computers since the mid 90s. LOL. I got irritated last night and ordered a variety pack of 240 pieces from amazon!! But, damn it, I'm going to master DigiKey right now!! Thanx!
It can be weird at times. I can look and not find what I'm looking for at one moment, and then magically shows up at another moment. Kinda depends how you enter what you're looking for. But they usually handle quality components. A little more costly than the chinese cap kits at amazon though.

It can be weird at times. I can look and not find what I'm looking for at one moment, and then magically shows up at another moment. Kinda depends how you enter what you're looking for. But they usually handle quality components. A little more costly than the chinese cap kits at amazon though.
I don't mind the cost since I'm not a tech and don't need to stock a bunch of stuff. In fact, I'm looking to replace 3 caps but feel kinda strange about ordering a handful from such a huge supplier. Of course I'll get a few of each, but i'm sure digiKey or mouser are more accustomed to order in the hundred or thousands. I sure miss Radio shack!!

I don't mind the cost since I'm not a tech and don't need to stock a bunch of stuff. In fact, I'm looking to replace 3 caps but feel kinda strange about ordering a handful from such a huge supplier. Of course I'll get a few of each, but i'm sure digiKey or mouser are more accustomed to order in the hundred or thousands. I sure miss Radio shack!!
I've ordered small quantities before. I mean like 4 or 5 caps. It just depends on what I'm doing. Their shipping is like $5.99 for 1st class mail, and they ship quickly.
I used to order from the bay, but found a lot of the values were not within specs. I think there are a lot of fake stuff there, unlike a business that has to maintain their reputation of what they sell.
I still order some components and things from the bay, there are some pretty good sellers there, you just have to be careful. I've had good luck with the guys selling CB components, like when I needed a 2078 transistor on a radio HA helped me with here on the forum.
I am far from being a tech myself. I just play around a bit and hope for the best.

Of course I'll get a few of each, but i'm sure digiKey or mouser are more accustomed to order in the hundred or thousands. I sure miss Radio shack!!
I use mouser pretty often. If you're willing to pay 7.99 for the shipping they'll sell you a single item. I tend to wait and do slightly larger orders, but that's just me. I look at DigiKey every so often and I have ordered from them at times, but I find Mouser easier to navigate.

I only use eBay for discontinued parts I can't find anywhere else, and I only buy from US based sellers. Had pretty good luck so far. Found the the little four legged IC to fix my SSK there.

Amazon is the last resort. Almost guaranteed Chinesium.

I use mouser pretty often. If you're willing to pay 7.99 for the shipping they'll sell you a single item. I tend to wait and do slightly larger orders, but that's just me. I look at DigiKey every so often and I have ordered from them at times, but I find Mouser easier to navigate.

I only use eBay for discontinued parts I can't find anywhere else, and I only buy from US based sellers. Had pretty good luck so far. Found the the little four legged IC to fix my SSK there.

Amazon is the last resort. Almost guaranteed Chinesium.
I'll try to look again. I kinda found what I need at mouser but the selection is rather limited. I did find some that would work, but the differences in values may or may not have an effect on the performance.

I've ordered small quantities before. I mean like 4 or 5 caps. It just depends on what I'm doing. Their shipping is like $5.99 for 1st class mail, and they ship quickly.
I used to order from the bay, but found a lot of the values were not within specs. I think there are a lot of fake stuff there, unlike a business that has to maintain their reputation of what they sell.
I still order some components and things from the bay, there are some pretty good sellers there, you just have to be careful. I've had good luck with the guys selling CB components, like when I needed a 2078 transistor on a radio HA helped me with here on the forum.
I am far from being a tech myself. I just play around a bit and hope for the best.

Maybe I'll just order a bunch and then go on a SSK buying spree so I can recap and sell them!

I'll try to look again. I kinda found what I need at mouser but the selection is rather limited. I did find some that would work, but the differences in values may or may not have an effect on the performance.
I bought the kit from Klondike Mike (before I realized the little IC was the problem). The values in there weren't exactly the same, IIRC, but were as close as what's commonly available today will allow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated