• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Super Sidekick relays

i know this dosent pretain to your problem but have seen many people complain that the output audio is too loud or distorted,, it is because many dont know that the supersidekick has 2 control pots,, one on top and one accessible thru a tiny hole on the bottom,, i have found that turning down the bottom adjustment works best with solid state equipment especially if radio is equipted with a mike gain adjustment,,,, just some thoughts 73s midnight special
I may be mistaken but from what I understand the super sidekick series by Turner is a microphone targeted for single side band usage and thus contains a form of compression in its internal amplifier design. (I believe this only applies to the +3 model, again I could be mistaken.)

-Leap

Edit: Here is a post on wwdx http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/compression-on-turner-plus-3.35327/
And cbradiomagazine: http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Microphone Reviews/Turner +3/Turner +3 Microphone Review.html
I am going to look for literature produced by Turner also

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
leapfrog,, the supersidekick has a chrome head that and the bottom pot is what makes them different from the plus 3 models,,,, i have seen some of the black plus 3s trying to be sold as superside kicks,, but a true supersidek kick has the pot on the bottom to adjust the mike to the radio and of course the cool chrome head,,,, i use one with my first generation president washington and have the bottom pot set at about quarter open the top adjustment at half way and the radio mike gain at half way,,, the radio has not been peaked and tuned,, still stock,,,,

Thanks Midnight Special, The One I Use on the 142GTL (My SSB Rig)
is This Chrome Headed Beast:
[photo="medium"]4301[/photo] .
I still need to clean the controls on the radio because it's audio in RX is scratchy especially when adjusting controls. I need some DeOxit, but the mic does serves me well.
(This is my 1st and only dek mic though, so I can't compare it to any other desk mic yet)
I like these Turner Mics, they give an impression of quality, and ruggedness with some noticeable heft to it. I just noticed the switch on the bottom for relay or electronic switching & the 9v battery. If the radio doesn't use a relay to swith tx/rx I just leave the switch in the "electronic" position.

CBRadioMagazine.com:
While both microphones offered amplification circuits, the Turner +3 had speech compression (called Modu-Guard by Turner & also featured on the M+3 handmike) built in to the circuit which allowed it to reach 100% without much of the over-modulation problems present in other microphones. Later models such as the popular Super Sidekick didn't have this compression circuit and while the Sidekick was designed with SSB in mind, I think the +3 is a better all mode microphone.
Sorry for maybe being a little off topic here,
maybe I should start a new thread i don't know.

I do not see why this circuit couldn't just be
added to any model that has the pre-amp, compare the
schematics from the two different user manuals and mod
the pre-existing pre-amp board manhattan style
to add the compression related parts into the
circuit, also I do not think the elements are
going to be much different either in
terms of response range.

Best Regards
-LeapFrog

Last edited:
leapfrog, that is a plus three someone has took a ssk head and name badge and put on,, that is one of the problems many face now, these mikes are 30 plus years old and like d 104s with the different stands they are mismatched and frankenstiened,,,,i have a couple of turner ssb plus 2s that someone put electret elements in them for the old style icoms,,, i have them hopeing to find original elements and will rewire to original,,,,does that mike have a pot on the bottom you might have to take the bottom cover off and look,,, you can clean the contacts with the bottom cover off too,,,

leapfrog, that is a plus three someone has took a ssk head and name badge and put on,, that is one of the problems many face now, these mikes are 30 plus years old and like d 104s with the different stands they are mismatched and frankenstiened,,,,i have a couple of turner ssb plus 2s that someone put electret elements in them for the old style icoms,,, i have them hopeing to find original elements and will rewire to original,,,,does that mike have a pot on the bottom you might have to take the bottom cover off and look,,, you can clean the contacts with the bottom cover off too,,,
10-4 on the pot, this microphone has been repainted for sure also, this may be a redflag!!
So going by what you are saying maybe this label has been changed after it was re-painted grey, and the head is not original because it's Chrome & has the pot on the bottom, maybe it really is a +3 in disguise and actually has compression? Like a real Frankenstein microphone; that's a bonus I guess for me because I like Chrome, as well as the colors scheme, and of course i'd want the compressed
audio for SSB! (y)

..So If a pot is found on the underside then it has the compression circuitry built-into the pre-amp board by default? Then automatically this means you have the feature Turner called "Modu-Guard" in built into your mic and it's not just another mic level out gain, but an adjustable analog "speech processor" ?

I may open it up and try to find the schematics to compare, i'm going to check your link now.

Last edited:
I'm a little bummed to find out that I don't have a true classic, an original unmolested microphone but rather a "Frankensteined hybrid", I suppose it's still a little badass in its own way!

Thanks for teaching me something today, none the less.

Last edited:
i use turners on all my radios,,, they are bad ass,, on my cobra in my pickup i use a turner /telex road king 56,,,,it is the original and not the truck stop chinese made ones they sell now,,,,it performs great,,,,on my president washington first generation,, i use a ssk turner,, it has always done a good job am and ssb,,,,i have astatic d104s mobile mikes and desk mikes but they are show off mikes,,,,,they work ok but bring in so much back ground noise even turned down,,,,,on my roadking i have had to replace the foam that is front of the element it was so old it had rotted,,,,when i was talking into it powder would blow out of it,,,,,other than a relay replacement in the mike it has done me well now about 20 plus years,,,

ad_1981turner.jpg

If the RX sounds crappy at higher volume or even squeals at max its because its a 4 wire mic on a 5 wire radio.
pin 2 and 4 are shorted to make it work and thats why it gives this issue.
I'm kinda hating 5 pin right now myself.

That could be a ssk even though its grey my friend has one in with the bottom pot and I've seen one on ebay as well

Hi everyone hope your summer is going good as mine is thought I'd put this out there I am looking for a excellent to Mint Condition Turner cs1 microphone also while I'm at it astatic echomax 2000 also thanks

I have a CS1, not mint by any means, but it's the best mic I've ever had. I've used it on slot of radios with excellent reports. Right now it's on a 2970N2. And no I wont part with it.

It's in my will to be burried with it.:ROFLMAO:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.