• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TVI

Mack, Please elaborate for myself and future searches.

tracker

Your testing material for your licensing should have questions asking about such issues as what you're experiencing and by my term "basic electronic practices should cover that.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

mackmobile43.
All nice in the sense of a reply.
Sure all theory applies.
Does your answer help myself or others... NO.
I did mention that grounding is not on the units at the time.

I am sure that you have an answer to help.
If you would like to share with us "simple minded" people in laymen terms what you mean for now and future reference.
I do not say this in a smug way, but ask for your knowledge.
A question is asked as the answer is not there.
Your input is appreciated.
Knowledge from yourself and others go a long way.

I respectfully ask what was meant.
No dis-regard. As the OP I ask as I don't know and request help.
I am here as I know this is the place to be for answers.
Silly questions they may be, but tolerance and dedication to the hobby is where it's at.

In all sincerity and help request. tracker.

Sink an 8ft copper clad rod outside your shack, and do a VERY short run of Georgia Copper "tape" inside your shack. Make a standoff out of wood or PVC with a piece of copper pipe on top of it, screwed to your wall. Run the tape to that Run short lengths of copper tape or braided copper wire from the equipment to the pipe, hoseclaming the tape/braid in place.

You need to bond this ground rod with your electrical service ground, and your tower base. If you have roof mounted antennas, you need to run copper grounding from the masts, down to the ground.

If your ground rods aren't close to each other, take advantage of that. Sink an 8ft copper clad rod every 4 ft or so between each other, until you reach the rod you want to. Attach them all together with one run of copper tape.

At the very minimum, at least do the 3:
Station ground, bonded to electrical service ground, bonded to a ground rod for your antennas.

mackmobile43.
All nice in the sense of a reply.
Sure all theory applies.
Does your answer help myself or others... NO.

I am sure that you have an answer to help.
If you would like to share with us "simple minded" people in laymen terms what you mean for now and future reference.
I do not say this in a smug way, but ask for your knowledge.
A question is asked as the answer is not there.
Your input is appreciated.
Knowledge from yourself and others go a long way.

I respectfully ask what was meant.
No dis-regard. As the OP I ask as I don't know and request help.
I am here as I know this is the place to be for answers.
Silly questions they may be, but tolerance and dedication to the hobby is where it's at.

In all sincerity and help request. tracker.

Reread the majority of helpful answers offered you in this thread which clearly indicate your tvi issues is most likely a grounding issue and I offer another suggestion that you may have excessive cmc on your feedline and that in itself could radiate into a power source leading into the offended device.

Quoting you

"I recently acquired a Yaesu FT-840 and before the snow started here in Eastern Ontario, I put up one of my old 5/8 CB ground plane and shortened it for 10 meter.
I operate on the 10 meter band with about 45-60 watts. I turn it up to 100+ watts or so for DX which is not often.
I have not had time to ground the antenna properly but it is sitting on a steel pole with the pipe about 3-4 inches sunk into the soil now.
The antenna is about 20'+ from the bottom.
I have not grounded the rig either. I know I should and this is where I will start."

Perhaps the antenna you've mentioned is not resonant at the frequency it is being operated at and I assume it does not offer adequate gp for that frequency which allows cmc in excess to flow along the skin of the feedline.

Could be something as simple as the offended device's coax shielding is broken or not making sufficient bonding with the transmitter or receiving device in that case your neighbor may allow you to inspect that equipment for this fault.

Lord knows I've had my issues with cheap cable installation, it was so bad I called the the company I purchased my tv from (Sears and Roebuck) to send out one of their technicians as the device was under warranty and in his trouble shooting routine found that the cable guys install was at fault, you guessed it, the coax shield failed to make contact at the connector at the tv's input.

I'm not saying your rig is the cause of the tvi issue but it sure did bring the neighbor running when you keyed >er< up so whether or not it's your rig or theirs at fault you'll not get any rest until you get up off your rear end and or ego you won't get much rest if you have to keep getting up off your rear end to answer the door with an angry neighbor perched on your front porch.:D

Regardless of what your version of our FCC calls itself and it's rules and regs regarding who's at fault here you're gonna have to be a good neighbor if you want to run your rig not fearing that someday you may have a pin shoved through your feed line.

Basically try everything you can to make your station as TVI clean as you can.

Proper grounding, antennas and equipment.
Current baluns, or rf chokes at feed points of antennas.

Make sure all transmitting equipment has good tight connections on coax jumpers.

Once you have done everything you can do, then if you want to ask the neighbor if you can conduct some "tests" with his assistance.

Make it a team effort to solve the problem, get the neighbor involved if he agrees and both parties can work on the issue..

I tried everything at my station to clean up some TVI to one of the neighbors who lease a residence from me. I was tearing there TV up bad, yes even after the analog to digital switch.

Finally I ran a new coax for his digital tv antenna with built in amplifier, RG6 quad shield solved the TVI problem.
good luck

Tracker1962, what kind of interference is it that you are causing? just sound or picture interference? Also is it just to the TV or is there a surround system or such involved? Sound system speaker leads are a prime source of interference and reasonably easy to deal with in most cases.

Sure, tear me apart for asking.
Mack, you are completely right and I did not do the right thing.
I should have known better.
My beef is not with you and you shoot "straight from the hip".
In a rush to beat the winter, self gratification, I broke the most important rules.
It was irresponsible of me to do such a thing and for those using the "search" option to find help about TVI, mackmobile43 may not have the best "bedside" manners as per say but he is 100% right!
Mack, you are rough along the edges but your alright !!

From the moment the knock came at the door, as a responsible LICENCED operator, Yes I am, I have not keyed my HF rig.

From this point is to move on now that I have been set straight and rightfully so.

I still have a problem. To set grounding rods in the frozen ground is not going to happen right now.
The frost line in my area shows 42" deep.
I guess listening is all I will be doing for a while.
I still have my 2 meter though.

Come the day, I ground everything and possibly put up my Maco "V" quad instead of my ground plane and the same thing happens, then what?
Thinking of building a inverted "V" or a flat sided wire. Its sort of putting me off to do so.

It comes back to the same question. I guess the proper answer might be from the governing body.
"What is my responsibility and what can I do?"

Cap., all I was told is that i'm going through their TV before the door was shut in my face.
Might be a hard fix with no TVI here?
I figure, doing all I can here for now is all I can do?
When the notice to others that I am all good, then a knock at the door may be of different conversation?

Thank you all, tracker.

All you can to at this point is to follow good rf practices then and you're good to go because if they closed the door in your face on this issue then that's all you can do.

I had the same issue with my neighbor who happens to be the Chief of Police in my town and I did the grounding thing which did not totally solve the issue so I installed those filters I mentioned earlier and that cleaned it up on their side and I had only one tv in my home that required a filter.

Do your best and remember the law is on your side.

Ok Mack.
That will be my starting place.
The ground is frozen now and will have to wait.
Until then I will listen only.
Thank You.
If that doesn't fix it, I will re-open this thread.
BTW, a PM is being sent to you with my callsign.

tracker.

Grounding your stuff probably isn't going to help.

One thing that comes to mind is disconnect the 2 meter rig when operating H.F. Some are notorious for generating harmonics in the final's diode T/R switching when subjected to HFRF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.