• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UI-View or HamScope and APRS

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I'm having trouble getting either of these aps to "hear" the APRS packets.

Both appear to have the proper connection to AGWPE and all seems to be configured correctly, but I must be missing something.

I get regular APRS packets, but nothing happens in either program.

AGWPE:
is using com2 at 9600 baud and connects to my sound card on
Port 1: 144.390Mhz 1200baud
Set using KISS Simple

And I've used the monitor to verify that it's hearing the packets.

UI-View starts up:
AGWPE - V2005.127 - localhost
Port 1 with SoundCard On COM2: 144.390Mhz 1200baud
Port 2 with SoundCard On COM2: 144.390Mhz 1200baud

I have not really figured out where everything is yet in UI-View, but I'm sure it is set up correctly with AGWPE as I can send a beacon, just not receive.

HamScope:
Basically the same story, I can send, but not receive.

Hi Doc,

I'm just using the basemap with UI-View. Not sure if Hamscope ties with a mapping program. Really just want to see the packets on the monitor or RX window for now.

I've seen that site and that is about exactly what I'm seeing. I can type Help at the cmd line and get a list of commands that AGWPE supports.

In both programs, I can send packets, just not receive. Just not sure why?

Maybe the audio interface is too noisy or distorted for the programs to decode, or the clock is too far off? Not sure what to try now.

In UI-View, if you click the 'terminal' icon (Monitor on top of Computer), do you see any indication that you've received anything, or is the terminal screen blank?
- 'Doc

usually UI-View sends a beacon when it first starts up (and makes some other odd audio). This is all I see and nothing more comes up (I'm expecting to see received traffic come up):

07:02:19T KKYYY>APU25N Port=1 <UI C Len=37>:
=3100.00N/12100.00W-working {UIV32N}
07:02:21R KKYYY>APU25N Port=1 <UI C Len=37>:
=3100.00N/12100.00W-working {UIV32N}
07:02:40T KKYYY>APU25N Port=1 <UI C Len=24>:
>281502zUI-View32 V2.03
07:02:40R KKYYY>APU25N Port=1 <UI C Len=24>:
>281502zUI-View32 V2.03

Note, I'm not actually transmitting this until I get it figured out, so the output just goes to a speaker for now so I can hear what is going on...

There are several peculiar things about UI-View that aren't real apparent to a new user, boy is that an understatement!
Try going here (if you haven't already);

Misc UIview Notes

Lots of information there. Got another link, I'll find it... eventually.
Receiving information only requires an audio connection between radio and sound card, sending information requires a data cable. The audio cable is the simple way. Get that right first. Which also means going through the setup procedure. Especially is you don't know what half that stuff is, OH you'll have so much fun! I did (still am at times).

There are a couple of things that will make all this @#$% easier to figure out. Remember this program was made several years ago, lots of stuff has changed over those years, the program hasn't unless you do a few 'patches'. Those patches are available on the internet, I think on that last site I inserted. There are a few forums dedicated to various 'parts' of this. One is SV2AWG's program for the sound card, the other for UI-View. Find them and ask questions. Them people have all been through exactly the same thing you're going through (make that we've been through), they don't mind helping.
Another thing is that unless you are willing to settle for that included map (and no you are not satisfied with that!), get rady to spend some money for the required mapping program. It ain't cheap, and it does raquire a weird 'patch' to make work, but "UnderTow Software" has the most usable maps and features. The original UI-View used a mapping program that the manufacturer doesn't make anymore. The new program doesn't work unless patched, but it's really worth it. There are a couple of substitutes, but they also have foibles. Pick one and stick with it.
It all sounds a bit intimidating, but it really can be done (Hell, I did it. That means anyone should be able to!).
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc!

OK, I noticed that UI-View will try to load Street Atlas. I think this is the DeLorme map product. And guess what? I have it! But that is a whole nuther ball of wax. I'm just trying to get the "simple" done first, but I did read all that info.

The audo is connected and communication with the TNC emulator (AGWPE) is working.

Maybe I'll try the AGWMonitor or better yet the AGWTerminal program and see if that works. I might actually end up configuring a digipeater and an iGate.

It just seems that there is a fundamental setting or something so obvious that I cannot see it that is making it not work. It's just ironic that I'm sure it would transmit a packet, but it just does not recieve or decode them.

I'd bet it's one of those 'obvious' thingys and you'll beat your head when it suddenly dawns on you. I know it can be done, that 'note pad' icon over in that rectangle is the 'message' window for UI-View. Displays messages several ways. I've received, sent them that way but please don't ask me how, I don't remember (just did it once).

Just tried it. Didn't work, but then I remembered I don't have the @#$ thing set up for transmitting. Wonder what I did with that @#$ cable... I'm in trouble now. Also 're-distributed' the antenna resources, which means took down a 2 meter antenna to put something else there. You know, this is a hell of a time to get interested in this stuff, 22 degrees, snow, the 2 meter antenna is painted white, probably won't be able to even find the @#$ thing in the snow, don't have another feed line to run to it, am NOT getting on a ladder in this weather! ... not sure I like you anymore... you jusr HAD to get me interested in this stuff again. You waited till it snowed, didn't you!
- 'Doc
;)

LOL - someone told me, don't forget that when you point at someone else, you have three fingers pointing back at you.

Now I got UI-ALOHA and can't wait to get it all working...

And somehow Molecular guy got his forum wired up to ebay and it's showing me all this APRS gear for sale. Now looking at a TM-D700A.

Anyway, it's fun!

I'm still looking for that Doh!

OK, Doc. Don't fall off that ladder, I got it working.

Doh! Crumby interface. I also think I have an issue with my sound card as the mic input is fed back to the speaker output (it is acting like a PA system)...

Then I installed my Street Atlas and grabbed a local map.

UI-View is cool for what it is. I suppose that you cannot really zoom a map on a particular area.

Anyway, I can set it up to be an iGate and track things in aprs.fi if that is what I wanted to do.

Lots to play around with now. Whohoo!!!

I can get UI-View working OK, but I can't get it working with the Precision Map 7 server on Vista :( UI-View just crashes when I tell it to load a PM7 map. Oh well...

67 stations now logged and counting...

I'm going to have to get this on my laptop with my GPS...er, how does that work?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.