• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Ultimax Dxtreme

Hmmm, if you could sacrifice an inexpensive aluminum extension ladder and modify it so when extended somewhat, the top 8.5' - 9' was invisibly insulated from the lower portion, then invisibly feed it with coax and devise a way to "Store it away" on the upper part of the roof, and in doing so not violate any CC&Rs, even if they wrote new ones against that very thing, you'd be grandfathered in.

Home Depot around here carries 16' x 1.75" round wood railing. Could make a nice mast for an Imax sticking up out of the truck bed rails.

How about a picture of your roofline?

I still think a birdhouse sticking up at least 18' above most of your roof, with a vertical dipole inside would be best for invisibility & performance.

I say just put the blottom of the ladder into two 2' long pieces of 3" or4" PVC pipe, add either a tuning network, a tuner, and/or some radials, and use the whole thing as an antenna. Add a piece of tubing to extend it some and it could be used as a ground mounted vertical 1/4^ into 40m.

Reactions: Needle Bender
The ladder idea was in addition to the stake hole truck temp mount discussed earlier, I wasnt attempting to shift ideas but merely have another option also, should i feel the need not show off my huge co** ( small really) , i mean antenna in the driveway hahaha

In reference to N.Benders question, how do I go about showing my roofline ?

Yeah, a 5/8 wave ladder! :sneaky:

Oh I was just thinking a picture might help us to see another angle or potential idea.

Maybe if you did them ALL and co-phased... ;)

itm263042970421
This was the first antenna I used after a 25 year absence from CB. It's a bit pricey but if like myself you've little knowledge of how to build one IMO it's a bargain. Even if you could build one for under $20 knowing this guy builds dipoles for every band and are (again imo) built exsteamly well saving the time building one that was not getting it the exact length to work on 11 meter without having to trim, lengthen, adjust etc etc makes this worth the price. The sellers feedback speaks for itself. It worked flawlessly for me. I used it in the inverted V configuration. It worked ok for local talk but much better with skip. Horizontally strung in your backyard trees would make it nearly invisible. I wrapped black electrical tape around the PVC section. You could install this in so many configurational shapes and most will do well for skip or local talk. Horizontally would be the best for DX. I read an article online where a renters landlord wouldn't allow a CB antenna so he (the renter) installed this on two 5' masts buried 2' in the ground leaving it 3' in the air and besides a higher than ideal swr @ 1.2:1 (very exceptable) it worked excellent. He claimed world wide contacts with a cobra 2000 and a 100 watt amp. The best thing about his installed was that the landlord had no issues with him using a clothesline. And that's exactly what he did. When he wasn't using his station he would hang sheets and clothing on the dipole and it looked exactly as any other backyard clothesline. I can vouch for the quality build of the particular dipole in the added link. And that's because I purchased mine from that very seller and still own it. As I mentioned earlier it worked flawlessly for me. I'm actually considering stringing it up horizontally ten feet off the ground for DX. My IMAX 2000 does well @ 7' (lo but true) off the ground. The 500 watts I get out of my amp helps tremendously but I've always thought this dipole horizontally strung about the same 7' off the ground and my 500 watts will do much better for skip than my IMAX. By the way when I had it up in it's inverted V configuration it was 5' off the ground supported buy a single 8' mast shoved 3' in the ground with it's wires staked into the ground with two plastic stakes I bought @ home Depot for $3ea.. Good luck. 73 PS I've never added a link so if you can't access the seller just put 11 meter dipole into eBay's search engine. Just check out sellers available items. All he sells are his homemade dipoles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263042970421
I see that the link isn't leading to the dipole. This is the one I'm mentioned in my reply. Screenshot_20170630-090704.pngScreenshot_20170630-102150.png

Last edited:
itm263042970421
This was the first antenna I used after a 25 year absence from CB. It's a bit pricey but if like myself you've little knowledge of how to build one IMO it's a bargain. Even if you could build one for under $20 knowing this guy builds dipoles for every band and are (again imo) built exsteamly well saving the time building one that was not getting it the exact length to work on 11 meter without having to trim, lengthen, adjust etc etc makes this worth the price. The sellers feedback speaks for itself. It worked flawlessly for me. I used it in the inverted V configuration. It worked ok for local talk but much better with skip. Horizontally strung in your backyard trees would make it nearly invisible. I wrapped black electrical tape around the PVC section. You could install this in so many configurational shapes and most will do well for skip or local talk. Horizontally would be the best for DX. I read an article online where a renters landlord wouldn't allow a CB antenna so he (the renter) installed this on two 5' masts buried 2' in the ground leaving it 3' in the air and besides a higher than ideal swr @ 1.2:1 (very exceptable) it worked excellent. He claimed world wide contacts with a cobra 2000 and a 100 watt amp. The best thing about his installed was that the landlord had no issues with him using a clothesline. And that's exactly what he did. When he wasn't using his station he would hang sheets and clothing on the dipole and it looked exactly as any other backyard clothesline. I can vouch for the quality build of the particular dipole in the added link. And that's because I purchased mine from that very seller and still own it. As I mentioned earlier it worked flawlessly for me. I'm actually considering stringing it up horizontally ten feet off the ground for DX. My IMAX 2000 does well @ 7' (lo but true) off the ground. The 500 watts I get out of my amp helps tremendously but I've always thought this dipole horizontally strung about the same 7' off the ground and my 500 watts will do much better for skip than my IMAX. By the way when I had it up in it's inverted V configuration it was 5' off the ground supported buy a single 8' mast shoved 3' in the ground with it's wires staked into the ground with two plastic stakes I bought @ home Depot for $3ea.. Good luck. 73 PS I've never added a link so if you can't access the seller just put 11 meter dipole into eBay's search engine. Just check out sellers available items. All he sells are his homemade dipoles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263042970421
I see that the link isn't leading to the dipole. This is the one I'm mentioned in my reply. View attachment 20981View attachment 20982

Hi Sonar! Thanks for taking the time with the explanation and link. Appreciated it.

Ive got plenty of oak trees around, the higher the better with the dipole naturally? Also, I do want to talk to local cb users with the inverse V work alright, I understand that the dipole if mounted horizontal will be not work for locals.

The antenna ends, can they be nailed into trees near by? Also what would happen if the dipole is installed as a V not an inverted V?

There's also another guy selling the almost exact thing also made in USA. Some have balun some just center insulator, difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar
I use the dipole that I showed in an earlier posting that is mounted in an inverted V, I can talk to locals fairly easy within about 15 miles. I have talked to a couple of people about 60 miles from me on side band but, it is weak on both ends. I only have a 12 foot painters pole, I would think another 10 feet in the air would give me better results. For dx talk it does well. I have also used a 102" whip mounted on the painters pole which gives me better results then the inverted V but I had problems getting my swrs down. I think I need to add a couple of more radials.
20170529_075208.jpg

That's my inverted V at the maximum height.
Use rope or nylon to tie the ends of the dipole.
.also you can mount the dipole in an L shape if it makes for an easier mounting solution. I bought my dipole a few years ago and have used it indoors and outdoors mounted in all kind of different configuration. I got mine off eBay from DrDipole for about 25 bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limeybastard
LB, In your situation, i would opt for a vertical bazooka antenna used with a pulley mounted high in a tree.

here is a link to the antenna design: http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-vertical-bazooka-antenna,18

I would mount a small pulley up high in a tree and run mono-filament (fishing line) through it.

then just tie the mono-filament to the end of the antenna and raise it up for use.

If you paint the antenna brown or green, it's about as stealth as you can get while still getting good DX performance.
LC

LB, In your situation, i would opt for a vertical bazooka antenna used with a pulley mounted high in a tree.

here is a link to the antenna design: http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-vertical-bazooka-antenna,18

I would mount a small pulley up high in a tree and run mono-filament (fishing line) through it.

then just tie the mono-filament to the end of the antenna and raise it up for use.

If you paint the antenna brown or green, it's about as stealth as you can get while still getting good DX performance.
LC

I might give that a try, cheers. Im currently pondering the thought of a grown man with a slingshot in the front yard attempting to launch some wires into an old oak tree, just so happens oak tree is on the front of the house with full exposure.

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.