• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Ultimax Dxtreme

Hi Sonar! Thanks for taking the time with the explanation and link. Appreciated it.

Ive got plenty of oak trees around, the higher the better with the dipole naturally? Also, I do want to talk to local cb users with the inverse V work alright, I understand that the dipole if mounted horizontal will be not work for locals.

The antenna ends, can they be nailed into trees near by? Also what would happen if the dipole is installed as a V not an inverted V?

There's also another guy selling the almost exact thing also made in USA. Some have balun some just center insulator, difference?
I wish I could answer your questions about the configuration of the dipole but my knowledge is very low when it comes to the way radios and antennas work. I probably ask more questions on this site than anybody. As far as nailing it to the tree, no problem. There are leads at the end of each of both wires that compose the dipole. I think they're about a foot long. You can easily hammer a nail into the tree and then wrap those leads around the nail. Those leads are not part of the antenna just a way to fasten the wire dipole down. I used those leads to tie them tightly to the steaks that were I hammered into the ground. I see that your post has many people answering your concerns and these guys know what they're talking about. I do know that if you're not too concerned with local talk your best way to install the dipole is horizontally. That doesn't mean talking locally while the dipole is horizontal won't happenbecause it will. Depending on your output will decide how far. I would imagine with a stock Ford radio and the dipole at 30 ft or above you'd have no problem receiving and getting out at somewhere around 20 to 30 miles. There are also other ways to install these wire dipoles. I don't know the difference between them but others will. You can have an L-shaped configuration. And there are several other configurations I just don't know which ones are best for what type of propagation but I'm sure no matter which way you hang it local talking should not be an issue.. The one thing I am sure about is horizontal for skip is absolutely the single best configuration for this particular type of dipole. You're getting some good replies from some very knowledgeable people. Just keep reading and I'm sure you'll be on the air within a week or two. The dipole that I've ever used is the one I linked . it's the only dipole I've ever bought and used. And I can say without question it worked exceptionally well. I didn't have to shorten it. I just opened the box and up it went. I'm considering putting it back up. I'll probably only be able to get it about 10 ft in the air but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it worked better, much better than my vertigo climax at 7 ft when it comes to dxing. 73. PS I hope to hear you on the air soon. Once you get everything set up please let us know your handle and where you are so some of us that replied can listen for you.

I wish I could answer your questions about the configuration of the dipole but my knowledge is very low when it comes to the way radios and antennas work. I probably ask more questions on this site than anybody. As far as nailing it to the tree, no problem. There are leads at the end of each of both wires that compose the dipole. I think they're about a foot long. You can easily hammer a nail into the tree and then wrap those leads around the nail. Those leads are not part of the antenna just a way to fasten the wire dipole down. I used those leads to tie them tightly to the steaks that were I hammered into the ground. I see that your post has many people answering your concerns and these guys know what they're talking about. I do know that if you're not too concerned with local talk your best way to install the dipole is horizontally. That doesn't mean talking locally while the dipole is horizontal won't happenbecause it will. Depending on your output will decide how far. I would imagine with a stock Ford radio and the dipole at 30 ft or above you'd have no problem receiving and getting out at somewhere around 20 to 30 miles. There are also other ways to install these wire dipoles. I don't know the difference between them but others will. You can have an L-shaped configuration. And there are several other configurations I just don't know which ones are best for what type of propagation but I'm sure no matter which way you hang it local talking should not be an issue.. The one thing I am sure about is horizontal for skip is absolutely the single best configuration for this particular type of dipole. You're getting some good replies from some very knowledgeable people. Just keep reading and I'm sure you'll be on the air within a week or two. The dipole that I've ever used is the one I linked . it's the only dipole I've ever bought and used. And I can say without question it worked exceptionally well. I didn't have to shorten it. I just opened the box and up it went. I'm considering putting it back up. I'll probably only be able to get it about 10 ft in the air but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it worked better, much better than my vertigo climax at 7 ft when it comes to dxing. 73. PS I hope to hear you on the air soon. Once you get everything set up please let us know your handle and where you are so some of us that replied can listen for you.

Yeah, cheers Sonar, appreciate it. We can gain knowledge in theory on here by the good kind folks sharing their knowledge, plus as newbies ( myself) I will share my applied findings and so forth when I go about putting up the antenna. I'll probably be trying out that dipole in a few areas in addition to attic, will post back results and no doubt further questions lol

I bought the very same on you recommended.

Yeah, cheers Sonar, appreciate it. We can gain knowledge in theory on here by the good kind folks sharing their knowledge, plus as newbies ( myself) I will share my applied findings and so forth when I go about putting up the antenna. I'll probably be trying out that dipole in a few areas in addition to attic, will post back results and no doubt further questions lol

I bought the very same on you recommended.
I have little doubt that you will be making contacts on your first day. As long as the conditions are there of course. Even if they aren't I'm sure that dipole horizontally strong will get you out locally as long as your nearest local isn't 30 miles away. Good luck. 73

With the way they're building some of these American trucks out of plastic nowadays, I'm to the point where I would actually recommend that boomerang Antenna for a commercial truck also.

Found this today on a search after having had the same thought. Expressed it as half-joke in another thread having already bought one, but I’ll see if it’s viable for stationary if nothing else.

Wind load is 85-mph. Not much if any margin at 65-mph (constant) and crosswinds (gust).

Found this today on a search after having had the same thought. Expressed it as half-joke in another thread having already bought one, but I’ll see if it’s viable for stationary if nothing else.

Wind load is 85-mph. Not much if any margin at 65-mph (constant) and crosswinds (gust).

Anything is possible if you're willing to put time and money into fabricating a solid bracket capable of handling the wind load and vibration.

Reactions: Slowmover
Google MAXCOM (not Maxcon). These were heavily advertised in most ham publications back in the late 70s through the mid 80s. Basically a dummy load (low SWR) with a radiating wire attached (VERY low efficiency). TANSTAAFL.

I'm lazy and didn't read the whole thread but I'm working on a video to help people with HOA options for antennas.

I've been testing the Sirio Boomerang antenna (the aluminum version) this week and I'm super impressed with the results. It's low profile, good SWR for CB and freeband and 10/12 with a tuner.

Very lightweight and I think most HOA's would let you get away with it if you put it in the right spot.

I'm lazy and didn't read the whole thread but I'm working on a video to help people with HOA options for antennas.

I've been testing the Sirio Boomerang antenna (the aluminum version) this week and I'm super impressed with the results. It's low profile, good SWR for CB and freeband and 10/12 with a tuner.

Very lightweight and I think most HOA's would let you get away with it if you put it in the right spot.

I bought one for that reason. My RV Park and my son’s apartment or townhome (he’s moving).

The CRYPTIC CRICKET video “102” Whip Base Station Antenna” another DIY motivator (get something up, and use it later elsewhere once an “even better” antenna installed).

Am looking forward to the report.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated