• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 and RM KL203

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Varying reports of just running out of box as is for this combo (with KL203), or turn down the pot for AM?

I can get a new 980 for $109 and $7 tax from Walmart (emp discount). I have the 203 collecting dust at this point.

Trying to find kinda a stash rig for my NC property as a base. Something I can just leave in my shed in a FAT 50 box or equivalent with some desiccant pack. Only things showing outside shed would be one 10' top rail sunk in concrete behind shed. (For A99 or equivalent quick deploy). Figured the KL203 would be a bonus for some kick.

I know a few members have them. So what did you do for your setup?

Also has anyone on here with one have the display on the 980 crap out as I wonder about longevity of the display??

I have a 980 and KL60.

With a radio dead key of 3 watts and the amp on, I had a 20 watt carrier and a PEP of 45 watts.

I turned my dead key down to 1 1/2 watts. With the amp on, I now have a 10 watt carrier and a PEP of 40 watts giving me the preferred 1:4 ratio, plus it’s easier in the amp. Stuck with that. (y)

Haven’t had it long enough to comment on the longevity of the display, but it sure looks great indoors as a base. I added a Road Devil mic and get reports of it sounding loud and clear.

The 980 / 203 combo is hard to beat. The AM dead key in the radio is a quick adjustment on the trim pot inside the radio, like it was meant to be run with an amp. Then turn up the modulation pot, and the ALC for sideband can be tweaked although I left mine alone. Then button it up, pic your favorite mic and start talking. If I can catch the 980 on sale again, I am going to get a couple more just to stash away.
Chris

That wireless mic is awesome, I just got one. It has great audio and now I can get another cup of coffee without having to say " I will be right back ". I'm going to hook it up in my truck so I can sit in my mother in laws house and talk on the radio with my truck in the driveway.

I wonder if that mic might work on a Lincoln....hmmmm.

I wonder if that mic might work on a Lincoln....hmmmm.
It might but probably not without some modification. I got mine from @Big Kahuna and he said it did not work with his president. One unique thing that the uniden system has is receive audio on the mic plug. Kind of like a Cobra. I have seen YouTube videos of people putting these on a radio and taking the receive audio from the speaker jack in the back. That's how I plan on doing the 5555 in my truck.
Chris

Reactions: 2NC995
It might but probably not without some modification. I got mine from @Big Kahuna and he said it did not work with his president. One unique thing that the uniden system has is receive audio on the mic plug. Kind of like a Cobra. I have seen YouTube videos of people putting these on a radio and taking the receive audio from the speaker jack in the back. That's how I plan on doing the 5555 in my truck.
Chris

“. . . in my mother-in-laws’ house”

(Translation: on the porcelain throne)

Sorry. It really is too hard to resist.

Understand that in a truckstop men’s room you’ll hear Paco or Dontavious or Pajeet continue right along with their foreign phone conversations in the stalls adjacent yours.

So a guy can let ‘er rip county-wide with a KL203 hooked up behind a Uniden 980 & BC06.

“. . . in my mother-in-laws’ house”

(Translation: on the porcelain throne)

Sorry. It really is too hard to resist.

Understand that in a truckstop men’s room you’ll hear Paco or Dontavious or Pajeet continue right along with their foreign phone conversations in the stalls adjacent yours.

So a guy can let ‘er rip county-wide with a KL203 hooked up behind a Uniden 980 & BC06.

Haha that's a good one, but seriously. My wife takes care of her mother at her house down the street. My wife fixes all the meals there so that's where I am in the evenings. When it's warm outside, I would sit in the truck and talk. With the wireless mic, I can sit in the easy chair and talk on the radio while watching TV. I had been trying to figure out how to put a radio in the house without any objections. This sounds like a winner as long as I don't kill the battery in the truck. I might try to park it pointed down hill so I can let it roll and pop the clutch if needed. Haha!

Haha that's a good one, but seriously. My wife takes care of her mother at her house down the street. My wife fixes all the meals there so that's where I am in the evenings. When it's warm outside, I would sit in the truck and talk. With the wireless mic, I can sit in the easy chair and talk on the radio while watching TV. I had been trying to figure out how to put a radio in the house without any objections. This sounds like a winner as long as I don't kill the battery in the truck. I might try to park it pointed down hill so I can let it roll and pop the clutch if needed. Haha!

All present on this forum are undoubtedly gentlemen who’d
NEVER allow themselves to act as I joked.

I’m certain.

Mainly.

(Is there an old-age waiver?).

I have this radio I very seldom use AM cn you run it out of the box with the KL203 ? I also have one of those..
Sure, lots of people run these together out of the box. Side band would have no issue at all. A 4w dead key on AM might make the amp run hotter than needed, but people do it any way.

Edit: I might get blasted for this, but the dead key is so easy to turn down in this radio. I encourage anyone with a watt meter and a screwdriver to try it. Turn the AM modulation up while you are at it. I will have to put mine on the scope again but I don't think the modulation adjustment will go up high enough to sound bad. The good results you get here may encourage you to dig a little deeper into the radio inner working theory. unfortunately there is no schematic available for this radio. It is probably intellectual property of the Chinese government or something. If you want to do some simple mods, get a cobra 29 LTD Classic. Tons of info available about those. And above all, have fun and enjoy the hobby however you feel comfortable.
Chris

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated