• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I was curious what kind of settings you guys were using on the 980. The local filter definitely seems to cut out a lot of noise but also weak signals unless you turn the gain up. With the RF gain off on local, it's so quiet you don't need squelch but might not be able to hear much.

Has anyone found anything new with this radio? Are there any new mods out there? It looks like at the most, people are only getting about 15 watts or so out of this unit, which isn't terrible, but isn't outstanding. I do like all the standard features, except for the beep which can be fixed now. Compared to a traditional unit, I do prefer to have standard knobs versus the layout on the 980 but I can live with the updated look. Im still hopeful that someone can get more power out of it or open up the channels.

Hello again. I run it with a cheap 203p amp from RM Italy. I actually turned the radio down some to get a deadkey to peak that works good. Good reports from down the road all the way to England.

I really want to like this unit. It does everything that it should but I can hardly make any contacts other than local AM. I hear plenty on SSB, but I no one can hear me. Guess that it just par for the course with legal power and CB.

Very disappointed that there are no channel mods for the radio. I have a group about 15 miles from me on 27.415 and if the radio won't do that channel I'm not interested but it sure looks and sounds great

It's not the radio, I was on channel 38 LSB and made all kinds of contacts, from east coast to west coast and I have no mods, just a set of co-phased antennas on my truck.

I do not understand the beep issue. I mean, while I am driving, I leave it on channel 19 most of the time, when I do change it, I hear the beeps for a few switching of channels and thats it. Not a big deal for me, :confused: it's not like it sits there and beeps at you all day?

What is the most aggravating to me is, why no mic pinout in the manual?

I think Uniden has authorized dealers balls in a vice because the schematics have to be out there. There is that mod on youtube that someone shows how to eliminate the beep, they found that information somehow. I am betting Uniden has threatened dealers with losing their ability to service and sell if they catch them posting the schematic on the net, I could be wrong :drool:

I know Uniden is on this forum, THEY WILL NOT REPLY TO ANY THREAD ASKING OR MENTIONING MODIFICATION INFORMATION, PERIOD! :bdh:

I will be doing my review of the 980 in a few days, I am waiting for a reply on the mic pinout, I tried using their contact us form on the Uniden website and it apparently does not work, so I will continue to call until it is not busy and ask for the mic information, nothing illegal about mic pinouts so it should be disclosed.

standing by,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's not the radio, I was on channel 38 LSB and made all kinds of contacts, from east coast to west coast and I have no mods, just a set of co-phased antennas on my truck.

I do not understand the beep issue. I mean, while I am driving, I leave it on channel 19 most of the time, when I do change it, I hear the beeps for a few switching of channels and thats it. Not a big deal for me, :confused: it's not like it sits there and beeps at you all day?

What is the most aggravating to me is, why no mic pinout in the manual?

I think Uniden has authorized dealers balls in a vice because the schematics have to be out there. There is that mod on youtube that someone shows how to eliminate the beep, they found that information somehow. I am betting Uniden has threatened dealers with losing their ability to service and sell if they catch them posting the schematic on the net, I could be wrong :drool:

I know Uniden is on this forum, THEY WILL NOT REPLY TO ANY THREAD ASKING OR MENTIONING MODIFICATION INFORMATION, PERIOD! :bdh:

I will be doing my review of the 980 in a few days, I am waiting for a reply on the mic pinout, I tried using their contact us form on the Uniden website and it apparently does not work, so I will continue to call until it is not busy and ask for the mic information, nothing illegal about mic pinouts so it should be disclosed.

standing by,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting:cool:

Hey happy hammer, I figured put the mic pinout for the 980... It is also listed on page 22 post #169 on this thread.

Regarding the pins on the 980 this is what I came up with:
Pin 1 - Modulation
Pin 2 - Rx
Pin 3 - Tx
Pin 4 - not sure? No ground, no voltage found radio on or off
Pin 5 - Common
Pin 6 - 7.88 volts + with radio on, 8.00 volts during Tx

It may not be the radio but I'm using a Wilson 1000. I thought that I would be able to get something with that setup.

Regarding the pins on the 980 this is what I came up with:
Pin 1 - Modulation
Pin 2 - Rx
Pin 3 - Tx
Pin 4 - not sure? No ground, no voltage found radio on or off
Pin 5 - Common
Pin 6 - 7.88 volts + with radio on, 8.00 volts during Tx

Hmmm i didn't recall that post

Here is the 117 wiring diagram

Now I just have to figure how to wire the 6 pin Ranger 117 echo mic I have to work on the 980

Attachments

• 117a6pin.jpg
    117a6pin.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10
It may not be the radio but I'm using a Wilson 1000. I thought that I would be able to get something with that setup.

It's not a problem with your combo, it's a problem with propagation. You have to have the right conditions to talk DX. Keep trying!

RT307

Guess I spoke to soon. Was able to make three solid dx contacts tonight. From south Alabama was able to get into central Cali, south Illinois, and lookout mountain, tn. Just after sunset here and noise had died down. Was able give through to some of the same folks I have heard earlier but could reach through the traffic. Was very pleased and those were my first dx contacts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.