• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

That is true.

Uniden has always been flaky, but in the old days they really took care of their customers. Cheap flat rate repairs. They would fix a modified rig, but they'd put it back to stock before sending it back. I never sent them a chipswitched repair though. Not sure, but I bet they didn't like that.

I had a gut feeling they would lock up any conversion abilities for the 880 and 980 before they released them. The new corporate screws are skittish now.

Shame.

I got a screaming deal on one over Christmas. Couldn't pass it up. Nice radio but its not going to see much of any "airtime" until somebody figures out how to get the frequencies opened up.....which may be never.

Unless there is some kind of crazy breakthrough, I think it is what it is at this point. I thought there would be a way to crack it, but it hasn't happened yet, which leads me to believe that it might not.

I wonder if the microprocessor chip is visible when you crack open the radio... and if it is... might anyone be able to get some letters and numbers off of it??

(edit) I think I may purchase one... I want to be the one that cracks the tough nut. I'm thinking that if I can map out the mixing stages and such, I might be able to put in a reference divider, or change the loop mixer, if the microprocessor can't be cracked.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
I believe if it was expandable it would heve been done by now.

Agreed but I suppose it is still possible (at probably way more effort or expense that it is worth).

I wonder if the microprocessor chip is visible when you crack open the radio... and if it is... might anyone be able to get some letters and numbers off of it??

(edit) I think I may purchase one... I want to be the one that cracks the tough nut. I'm thinking that if I can map out the mixing stages and such, I might be able to put in a reference divider, or change the loop mixer, if the microprocessor can't be cracked.

~Cheers~

:D Keep us posted. Kind of like the un-crackable safe, it just makes someone want to try harder right?

There's three things I want to do to the 980.

I want to get extra channels, I want to unlock the clarifier, and I want to install an IRF520N mosfet in it, and get rid of that junk Mitsubishi RD16HHF1 mosfet they use in them now. Maybe I should trade my Galaxy Saturn base for one!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Could the possibility of adding a separate channel board and and piggybacking it be possible? I haven't looked inside a 980. I suppose that you could reverse engineer it and then do your own version

Oh, it is worth it. Several companies have made......whats the word I am looking for, evil PLL chips, one such for the TRC-458/Uniden PC-122 chassis, as well as a few others some of which NLA. The PLL picks the channels, you could just as easily burn programming for 80 or 120 channels into it. A microprocessor might in some ways be easier to swap out the CPU with a new 'evil' CPU or collection of IC's to mimic the function. Just do me a favor and make one that can tune in 1/5 and 10 khz steps that covers 24.89 to 29.7 and I would buy such a chip

Reactions: Shanbone
I meant TRC-465

Took mine to a radio shop locally in Ottawa and they didnt wanna do the mod for me. Ah well. I was willing to spend money for them to do it. Gonna eventually look for a decent export. I want something compact though with the bells an whistles.

But I agree. If that uniden radio had the capability I would take one in a heart beat. Nice compact and it generally looks like a very nice radio.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 2

I'm guessing that with SMT,the FCC is having a field day especially with the 980. Someday there may be no more modifiable radios in that it may become law some day soon that all radios are CPU controlled. I have my CRE-8900 and now that the FCC has come crashing down on companies that would import such radios to the good ole land of the free and home of the brave,others may follow.

I'm guessing that with SMT,the FCC is having a field day especially with the 980. Someday there may be no more modifiable radios in that it may become law some day soon that all radios are CPU controlled. I have my CRE-8900 and now that the FCC has come crashing down on companies that would import such radios to the good ole land of the free and home of the brave,others may follow.

you just gotta find someone who deals in contraband chips, like this guy

38595.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.