• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

If that meter is like the one I had you cant. You will need a meter that reads peak. And there is no carrier in ssb anyway. And the 980 dont have punchy audio. You need a peak reading meter, set the modulation close to as high as it will go, turn the amc up and check that your mic gain is at max if your on the stock mic. If you want more get a power mic but set the radios mic gain to half.

Last edited:
Someone has the schematics, how else did this guy "find" out which one to remove?

Another question I have, why does it switch to channel 20 every time he turned it back on AFTER the mod?

I am just confused a bit.

nope mine works just like normal but with no BEEP

if you notice at the end of the vid he is on 38 and turns the radio off several times and it stays on 38,,, maybe something with all the buttons he was pushing and he had a bunch of channels saved as memory channels. all i know is mine turns on to the last freq i was on every time

Last edited:
The beep mod was 1st posted on a smaller forum. In his words " I got tired of that beep so I used my reverse enginering skills to discover the beep is run by resistor". He gives the value of the resistor and talks about changing the values to change the beep. If its the same guy that did the youtube vids his 1st vid was pics of were it was and after removal and the course clarifier unlock. Everyone said no way, show it real time and show the radio working. I had that small forum saved for over a month not sure if I wanted to take the chance. Camero1 posted it worked so I went for it. As for the ch20 thing mine works the same just no beep.

Has anyone opened the clarifier?

I am sure I know the answer to this question,,,,,,

If someone has done the clarifier mod, is the frequency just a display or does it "count" the actual frequency as the clarifier is adjusted/moved?

there was a vid out of a guy that tried but only got the course clarifier opened, and i dont think the display changed when he was turning it. i watched the vid several times but cant find it now.

Still waiting as well. I left comments for the poster of the beep mod thanking him cause everyone else was a nay sayer. It was a new member with one post. I had hoped hed come back with more but nothing.

I will say I liked mine a lot but with no extra channels available I sold it because of the locals here talk on 41 and 42. Yes we do use 38 and 39 LSB but there are more guys just above 40. If the mod ever does come out I will buy another one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.