• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN PRO-505XL: The Most Bang For The Buck;

Side note. NOS

I've been checking out Realistic cb radios and mics on Ebay. Some sellers are on the up and up about the product they're selling. Others says that their items are new and have never been used. Oh contrare !
I see how spade lugs or cig plugs have been attached to the power leads. This smacks of being used. :unsure:

Last edited:
I tested my 505 along with my CRE-8900 with another operator 10 miles away. His receive readings were 3 S-Units on my 505&4 1/2 S-Units on my CRE-8900. The 505 does pretty good but doesn't have the PEP the 8900 has and not quite as loud either but the 505 is pretty good for it is.

Update on EBAY dealings. Two people came in and bid over me with 6 seconds to go on an item I bid on and EBAY didn't notify me until it was over with. Obviously some have found a way to procure things off of eBay by exploiting a glitch in the bidding process. But it's cool. The item description showed the thing was used after it was originally described as new. What gives?!

Last edited:
I've never seen this many posts about an entry level CB before. :D Glad you're diggin' your new rig! (y) As far as getting beat on Ebay, I used to use a program called "snipe". It will wait until the last second to bid, and it's clock is synched with the ebay one so it's dead on. You can beat anybody provided you bid higher, or they have the program too.

RT307

I've never seen this many posts about an entry level CB before. :D Glad you're diggin' your new rig! (y) As far as getting beat on Ebay, I used to use a program called "snipe". It will wait until the last second to bid, and it's clock is synched with the ebay one so it's dead on. You can beat anybody provided you bid higher, or they have the program too.

RT307

Thanks. EBAY is full of snake oil sellers. Have to learn who's who on it.
The Realistic TRC-422A I bid on looked new and had the monitor function on it like my 428 has. I have a bid on a seemingly new Realistic hand mic still in the box that I want to get for my brother's TRC-30A that's in mint condition. Maybe I'll just send my 428 to DTB and let him diagnose what it will take to get it in tip top shape. Some of the plastic pots are brittle and the PCB has old glue on it. If I use my antenna tuner I can get it to key up 4 watts dead key but otherwise it does a 2 watt dead key. It still has R90 in place limiting it to 70% modulation if I holler into the mic(power mic)

Last edited:
I was really surprised the level/quality of modulation the 505xl had out of the box.

I found the stock mic to have a very nice tone to it as well. Don't get rid of that stock mic, put it on a different radio (Cobra 29's love 'em). It's a really good stock mic and makes some radios scream.

Reactions: 1 person
I was really surprised the level/quality of modulation the 505xl had out of the box.

I found the stock mic to have a very nice tone to it as well. Don't get rid of that stock mic, put it on a different radio (Cobra 29's love 'em). It's a really good stock mic and makes some radios scream.

What state of tune your's is in?

If I stay away from manmade noise the receive is fairly good. The receive is comparable to my CRE-8900 which has a ANL/NB circuit. On the 505 I pick up all those little car noises. I just put a cap on the A/C condenser fan motor leads and that took care of the big noise problem I had.
With the engine turned off receive us good. That's why I bought it from DTB Radio and had him tune and align it.

Last edited:
RF Limited Echo Board

Now for my next trick I'll install a RF Limited TRB-X2 echo board in the 505.
This will negate any need for a power mic and I can add just a smidge of echo.

Note:I'm still wanting a speech compressor board installed but until then either I'll install this in the 505 or the 959

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks. EBAY is full of snake oil sellers. Have to learn who's who on it.
The Realistic TRC-422A I bid on looked new and had the monitor function on it like my 428 has. I have a bid on a seemingly new Realistic hand mic still in the box that I want to get for my brother's TRC-30A that's in mint condition. Maybe I'll just send my 428 to DTB and let him diagnose what it will take to get it in tip top shape. Some of the plastic pots are brittle and the PCB has old glue on it. If I use my antenna tuner I can get it to key up 4 watts dead key but otherwise it does a 2 watt dead key. It still has R90 in place limiting it to 70% modulation if I holler into the mic(power mic)

Thanks again for the SNIPE info. Just snagged me a Realistic hand mic

You can get these for cheap from time to time directly from the Uniden website, especially if you get the refurb or "like new" models.

You can get these for cheap from time to time directly from the Uniden website, especially if you get the refurb or "like new" models.
I checked the Uniden site and several others. Since I don't have the know how or equipment to tune and align a radio,I took the DTB Radio route. He sells his for $39 plus extra for a tune and align. Amazon and Wally World sells them for $29.
I still came out good in that if i bought one from from say,Amazon,I would have to send it to get tuned and aligned. Other people love the way it sounds but it doesn't have quite as much TX range as my CRE-8900 but good for local. The receive sensitivity is on par with the 8900 howbeit without a RF gain function. It could benefit from a ANL circuit or just fix all the noisy things that the car makes.
DTB's online store is still down waiting for to get fixed(call him)

Last edited:
I have two. One is still unopened. The other seems to have really high volume if you even turn the volume control at all. That kind of bothered me. With all the skip out there I really like having the ability to turn down RF gain. I don't care for DX on CB at all and really only use this kind of radio for trail rides and such where local with as little noise as possible is key.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.