1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

uniden Washington Key Up Noise

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by TrevorAllan, Oct 12, 2019.

1. midnight special

midnight special Sr. Member

2. KneeBiter

KneeBiter Active Member

I see this a lot on the 858 chassis radios. Trc457 458 138 Washington etc. Sometimes a quick chirp sometimes a slight fart. Only the person on the other end can hear it. Never could figure out what it was. But a lot of people have said give the VCO a little turn. Never tried it.

3. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

It's 8719

4. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

Starving for power try an external power supply

midnight special likes this.
  5. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

An external power supply was the first thing i tried.

kaos513 likes this.
  6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

We found this became a common problem in the 1990s-era Washington when the modulation limiter is opened up.

Fix is to remove a mute transistor. It serves to shut down the receiver audio when the PLL loses its lock on the channel frequency.

[​IMG]

It's marked TR45 in the late version schematic, but the screen print on the top side of the board does not have a callout for it.

sp5it, S&W357, NZ8N and 3 others like this.
  7. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

I was asked to chime in on this, but i couldn't log on to the forum last night for some reason.
    Looks like Nomad has it nailed anyway.

the added benefit of removing this transistor is that your receiver will no longer mute when changing channels.

you know how when you spin the channel knob a bunch of clicks like trying to go from channel 1 to channel 30 in an instant, and your receiver goes quiet until you get to channel 30?

well that won't happen anymore once you remove that transistor.
    you can now spin the dial around looking for open channels without clunking through them slowly.

the equivalent transistor in a dual conversion MB8719 like the 148/2000 would be TR47.
    LC

S&W357, Woody-202, NZ8N and 2 others like this.
  8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I remember reading something about bridging mic pins. The above info will be interesting. There was a local with a Washington couple days ago. He was trying to sell it. He claimed it was brand new and unused. Said he bought it from the widow of an old operator that died years ago, just after he bought it

I asked him if he has tested it and did it fart on keyup. He said: yeah, they all do. It's normal. I'm like: no, it isn't normal. Miffed him off. There's a local amatur hack that told him he can fix it. I'll just wait and see. It's funny how many I have heard over the years, not to mention the ones lately.

As I mentioned earlier, a friend of mine had a tech in Circleville, OH fix his fart. I just can't recall the details.

9. Chicago Savage

That's so funny. 25 years ago, I had the same radio, and it made the same noise AFTER I had the radio "peaked and tuned" by a local "expert". It was a little "whoop" sound that got transmitted when you keyed up. Most people liked it, so I left it that way.

10. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Lol

11. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

TR45 fixed the fart. Thank you! I was just about to let it keep farting till you posted this. Thank you again..
    The popping between channels was the next issue to be looked at and TR45 took care of that also. Killed two birds with one stone.
    Thank you all for your help.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  12. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

Loosecannon, That looks like a 23 channel Regency CR-186 mobile in your avatar. That was the first radio i played on years ago. Had it on a power supply and a 1/4 wave Radio Shack ground plane. It was also the first radio i figured out how to put channel 24 in. That was back when Red Skelton was popular. LOL

13. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

23A was taboo in my area. The local fire departments used it to conduct their fire department dispatch and chatter. Anytime we keyed up on 23A, they'd get in there all official like and try to run us off, didn't work. I took an old Radio Shack GP down about 10 years ago. We put it up in 1971. It was still working the day I swapped it out. Still had original Rat Shack RG-58.

14. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

I have same year or close radio so your saying if the modulation limiter is cut you have to remove tr45?

15. Unit 75

Unit 75 "TRAINMAN"

You don't have to.... it just stops the "BOOP" sound when the channel selector is changing. Maybe you like that sound and want to keep it in lol... It's up to you.