1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

uniden Washington Key Up Noise

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by TrevorAllan, Oct 12, 2019.

1. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

I got a deal on a Uniden Washington that is bone stock but it burps/farts when I key the mic. It's not any type of key up noise toy. I've heard that it's a common issue for this radio but i cant find any info online to attempt to fix it other than somebody knew somebody that had a friend that fixed his. Lol
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Welcome! I have never heard of this before, but I would guess that the radio needs to have all of its capacitors replaced. Capacitors can make funny things happen sometimes.

Woody-202 likes this.
  3. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

Thanks for the reply. That was the first thing i done to this radio and a Madison i bought with it was recap both of them. I've tried different mics, different antennas, changed coax and even grounding differently. It's got me stumped so I figured I'd give it a shot and ask.

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Did it have this problem before you recapped it? Just trying to get some of the basic questions out of the way and give the thread a bump at the same time. I am sure that someone that is familiar with this radio will chime in. I have a Madison too, they sure don't make them like that anymore.

#4 Shadetree Mechanic, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  5. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

Your right, they don't make them like they use too. I love these old radios. It's hard to find one that's not butchered or beat up though.
    Yes it done it before i capped it. Others have commented how good the radio sounds but it farts when i key it that's when listened to it with my ft840 and decided to recap both radios then i tried to find info about the fart online. I've tried hand mics. power mics and even jumped the pins in the mic jack. I know people has paid good money for noise toys to do this but I'd rather have it go away. LOL
    I may post a short video of what it does.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

You replaced wrong caps :LOL:
    For me it looks like tx/rx switching issue with VCO.
    Mike

TrevorAllan likes this.
  7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I can't recall, but I thought it was corrected by jumpering one of the mic pins.

8. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I thought it did this when using a 4 pin mic. Do you have the stock mic? There's a local that's doing the same thing. I've heard this several times over the years. In fact, you know when someone is on a Washington, the noise is so distinct. We were talking about it the other day.

Keep searching, or someone will soon chime in. There's a quick fix for it, but I can't recall, it's been so long.

9. Woody-202

Woody-202 Well-Known Member

A good dose of Pepto? :sneaky:

Chevboy0167 and S&W357 like this.
  10. S&W357

S&W357 Supporting Member Space For Rent

My Uniden Washington has never burped or farted. I've only used 5-pin mics. Maybe that has something to do with it.

11. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

I have tried several different mic and jumped the pins in the jack on the radio and it still makes the noise. I tried the factory stock mic.

S&W357 likes this.
  12. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Did you replace the 10uF capacitor on pin 5 of the voltage regulator (MB3756) ? its labeled C133.

You can probably put in a smaller cap there too.

Good Luck

13. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

I replaced all the caps in the radio with factory values. I'll pull and check C133 to make sure it's within specs. I was actually sitting here going over the schematic and TR45, mb3756 area was what i was going to dig into next.

14. TrevorAllan

TrevorAllan Member

I just looked on my schematic and the cap on pin 5 of MB3756 is C164. C133 is on pin 3. Both are 10uF.

15. KneeBiter

KneeBiter Member

Is your radio the 858 or 8719 chassis?