1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

uniden washington

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by kaos513, Dec 23, 2018.

1. S&W357

S&W357 Supporting Sr. Member

I've got a headache

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

Ithank you sir
    thank you sir

3. kaos513

I have to tell you maybe the first guys on the internet here to fix a botchedup uniden

4. kaos513

Update: Fixed

#94 kaos513, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  5. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

@kaos513 - you're posting with a guy whom used to own one, loved the radio just couldn't keep it - lost in a FC sale when my world blew up in 2008 ~2010.

I can appreciate someone still utilizing the older style systems and in a way , helping me to understand that chassis even more. It helps me, just by talking about it or the many mods I've seen placed in radios and why people complained that they didn't always "track" RX to TX very well. R187 and parts like it, placed in spots along the way to the tuning section - tied in to whatever feedline or RX or whom heaven knows... you now have an answer due to the nature of how they wanted to keep the pot (Voice lock) Linear thru the tuning range - no one ever points out the simpler facts that such designs have divider networks in them and you need to follow thru on the mod to fix all aspects and recover the OEM range once the unlockings' been done. Else TX and RX will "offset" due to the R187 and the like sucking power to feed into the RX line or R187 transferring power from RX line into the Voice Lock Clarifier voltage but not while TX'ing so they get frustrated and screw up a good thing by a slice and dice maneuver.

6. kaos513

yes i did put back all missing resistors and clipped diode.

7. Handy Andy

In regards to the squeal, how are the speaker grounds - are they to the back panel / case or are they to foil ground - as in to RETURNS on the board, not to panel or chassis.

And - check speaker to make sure that it's spyder cage is not shorting itself to the speaker terminals on the speaker itself - for that induces (forms) a ground loop...

To help me further take the photo of the top of that switchboard - which one of them is the CB / PA switch? For the PA switch has two wires off of it going back to the main PCB that grounds the CB Mic amp side using D39 and D40 - BACK TO PIN 5 of the MIC SOCKET. So if works been done - recheck the mike socket.

This "talkback" sounds like EXT and PA speaker crosswired.

Now there are mods for using the PA jack and EXT Sp jack, together, to make talkback.

So if that is the squeal you're getting - it can be from a BOTCHED rewire when they tried to fix it before you.

Again back to that Blue wire from Pin 4 of Audio Amp. But also for Nomads' reference to the Mic amp - if that is still going - the PA side of the switch network may need a little more re-work.

And Pin 6 of the MB3756 - that is the RX toggle - the RX uses an audio pre-amp TR36 gets it's power from R114 a 1K into the supporting circuit - then goes to Pin 4.

So if volume - ever so slightly bumped up - means that you're speaker output is feeding back into the Audio amp.

That is your feedback squeal...or tone so it may be from bad caps of wrong value or you have some caps still needing replacement in the Audio Amp TA7222AP section. That also includes the PRE-AMP TR36.

8. kaos513

Its alive was the mic i was using tryed another one works now .

9. Handy Andy

Then disregard all of the above - LOL

Just keep it for future reference...

WHEW - glad you got it working...

Regards!

kaos513 likes this.
  10. kaos513

she is almost done i got her to work doing recieve alignment now.

TM86 likes this.
  11. kaos513

Thank you for your help.

12. Handy Andy

All the best - Happy New Year.

May you enjoy the Reasons for the Season thru the warm amber glow of the Radios' own illumination as you seek out new places and their people thru the airwaves we call CB.

kaos513 likes this.
  13. kaos513

i have 1 issue volume will not cut off when its is completely low.still hear receieve

14. Handy Andy

Turn up the squelch until it turn on (if it does) when the volume is turned down low like that - should be completely quiet.

If not, that is related to TR13 (1st AF amp from conversion and TP3 output) and TR15 and TR14 (Squelch amp section)

So if Squelch mutes, then that is a TR36 and or Volume Control issue...Volume control is shielded cable - so if works been done - all routing needs to be checked - not just connection point to point but routing of cable itself.

Usually signifies a tweak or two but I'll wait for you to decide where and what to do next..

Tweaks are more of a last resort - so do the above test and I'll see what else we can offer to help.

kaos513 likes this.
  15. kaos513

squelch dosent quiet it down when turned all the way down